Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs august?

• 25-07-2014 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just been turned down for a job that I was positive I had in the bag :confused: Ah well moving onwards. It gets so disheartening each year I teach and five years on Im really considering if its worth it? Its getting very tough finacially and I would eventually like to buy a house. I know there are loads of you out there in this situation. Will hold out until August and see what come up!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

You sound like me. 6 years teaching and I too had an excellent interview a couple of weeks ago which I was convinced would land me a good job. Sadly not though. This is the last summer that I am putting up with this. Came very close to quitting teaching during the last school year, if I cant get anything decent come September then I will leave the profession. Like you I am in the process of looking for a house to buy. Not easy being dismissed by a bank when you are in your 30s because of no CID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ahahah

You sound like me. 6 years teaching and I too had an excellent interview a couple of weeks ago which I was convinced would land me a good job. Sadly not though. This is the last summer that I am putting up with this. Came very close to quitting teaching during the last school year, if I cant get anything decent come September then I will leave the profession. Like you I am in the process of looking for a house to buy. Not easy being dismissed by a bank when you are in your 30s because of no CID

What a relief to hear that Im not alone. I dont think there is enough realisation out there for how bad things are. A friend of mine has just completed the dip in Dublin and he has been given full hours with a view to permanency in the school. I dont begrudge people of this but it just seems so imbalanced! Its sad because I love the job and have experience with exams etc so would be a good asset to a school. Ah well:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

It's crap isn't it
    I'm teaching longer than you guys but I suppose I limited myself somewhat due to marrying and starting a family before establishing myself in any one school. So here I am ten yrs later still job hunting every yr
    Dont regret it though as I have my family but I defintely paid a price career wise for choosing to set up home so quickly out of college
    I find so many associate lack of CIDs and poor hours with NQT but more and more it's affecting those who aren't NQ and it's almost unspoken about
    It can be a horribly lonely position to be in at times and I've played that "give it one more yr" game but because i love teaching with all my heart and it's the OnLy job I can see myself doing I stick with the crappy hrs and lurching from one mat leave to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Keep the Heads Up guys! I know how ye feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jsorbee

I am in the same position. I apply every summer and find it difficult to even get interviews. I know people with less experience, who do not love their subject as much as I do but they have found jobs. I am at my wits end with the whole process. The stress of the whole system takes its toll and I find it very difficult to pick myself up after each rejection. I too am thinking about leaving teaching. I spent 5 years in college plus lots of hard work over the last few years and I still have nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement