Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation setting spray/mist

Options
  • 16-07-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Heard of this recently, can anyone recommend one? Regardless of foundation, primer, powder etc I still get quite shiny skin throughout the day and have to use blotting paper and powder but the powder can often make my foundation cakey. Is the setting spray any good? Haven't really noticed it in the shops, any particular one that I could try? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Id be interested in this too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I like Urban Decay Dew Me. They have a range of setting sprays but this is the moisturising one for dry skin types. I tend to apply base, eyeliner, eyeshadow and blusher etc, spray, go do my hair and brush my teeth, then apply mascara, as I've found it causes smudges if used too soon before or after mascara.
    The spray doesn't feel heavy and doesn't make make up look 'cakey', although I do find after a long day and night my make up can look a little 'dried in' in places... Having said that, without the spray the make up would just be gone from my face!
    Don't forget to shake the bottle well to mix the product, if you don't it won't dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I use an Urban Decay spray too, but mine is the De-Slick Oil Control spray as my nose in particular gets very oily throughout the day. This stuff is great for controlling it though, picked it up about 3-4 months ago and couldn't go without it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinseldreamz

I definitely think it's beneficial. I used to always get problems with my makeup where it'd go patchy or melt off. I actually bought a cheap MUA setting mist (think it was £4) and it does the job nicely!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I definitely think it's beneficial. I used to always get problems with my makeup where it'd go patchy or melt off. I actually bought a cheap MUA setting mist (think it was £4) and it does the job nicely!

Where did you get this, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I use an ELF one and it's great. The only downside if you need to hold it arms length from your face to get a mist, rather than a soaking! That could probably be fixed by changing the bottle but Couldn't be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Thanks everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinseldreamz

Stheno wrote: »
    Where did you get this, if you don't mind me asking?

I got it up the North in Enniskillen, in Superdrug. I believe it's Superdrug's makeup line so they probably only do it there. Worth it, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Urban decay all nighter is brilliant and id say the best all rounder of the urban decay sprays! Clarins also have their own fix spray which is really nice! Trying out the dewy nyx one at the moment too so will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Hi Guys! For me , it has to be the M.A.C Fixing Spray! This is a godsend. Just to give you and idea...

So im a serial beauty buyer. If its out there.. then iv tried it. I get a lot of stick in good nature of my friends for this. So last year on holidays the girls seen me use this spray I tried to tell them how amazing it was and they were having none of it. They thought the idea of spraying their face after make up was crazy. So anyways it was a mad night as they are on holidays and we didn't get home until all hours fell asleep straight away which is against my beauty bible rules but hey when in Rome. Woke up and the girls asked how was my make up still perfect when by this stage theirs was smudged patchy and even completely gone. Needless to say they were using that fixing spray every night after.

It is recommended for using after you do your make up but I always spray my face before primer do my make up and give it another spray when its done. Make up stays PERFECT. And a bottle lasts a long time! Also not many people know it is good for doing eye make up. When applying eyeshadow get the shadow on the brush and then a light spray of the fixing spray and it gives the eye shadow a deeper kind of effect and lasts lot longer too.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I love the Urban Decay one for oily skin and find it really good. My make up lasts all day :) I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The Urban Decay All-Nighter spray is amazing but a bit pricey. I was a loyal repurchaser even so until last week when I ran out and I was absolutely broke, so I took a chance on the Collection "Fix Me Up" setting spray and it was amazing! Only cost about €7 and was just as good as the UD one.
    Not only does it make your make up last longer, it makes it pop and all the products already on your face become far more pigmented. Its the very last thing I put on, even after my fake lashes, lipstick etc. I love it!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The Urban Decay All-Nighter spray is amazing but a bit pricey. I was a loyal repurchaser even so until last week when I ran out and I was absolutely broke, so I took a chance on the Collection "Fix Me Up" setting spray and it was amazing! Only cost about €7 and was just as good as the UD one.
    Not only does it make your make up last longer, it makes it pop and all the products already on your face become far more pigmented. Its the very last thing I put on, even after my fake lashes, lipstick etc. I love it!

I went through a phase of using the benefit porefection after foundation and it made a big difference, but want a setting spray

Thanks WhiteRoses. The reviews on Boots aren't great but I might give it a go for that price. The Urban Decay is a bit expensive without knowing if it'll suit my skin or not, a lot of products don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

This sounds interesting! Does it effect the colour of the foundation at all? I had a spray a good few years ago that I bought in Australia, I think it was by a brand called Red Earth, and whole it intensified the colours of eye make up in a really nice way it also noticably darkened the tone of my foundation, which I didn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

The UD do smaller sizes of their fixing sprays, €12. Maybe better than shelling out for a big one first?

I'm a big fan of the set sprays.

Purchased the Urban Decay De Slick. Can't say it's made a huge difference really, I must have very oily skin! I just bought the travel bottle so no great loss. For now it looks like I'll be sticking to powder touch ups throughout the day until a miracle product comes along! Thanks for the recommendations though, it was worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Frog Song wrote: »
    Purchased the Urban Decay De Slick. Can't say it's made a huge difference really, I must have very oily skin! I just bought the travel bottle so no great loss. For now it looks like I'll be sticking to powder touch ups throughout the day until a miracle product comes along! Thanks for the recommendations though, it was worth a try.

Have you tried Mac Fix+? The Urban Decay sprays are more setting sprays, to make the foundation/powder stay put longer. They don't really do much in terms of helping with cakey powder during the day. I haven't used Fix+ myself, but I know of people who rave about it, and it's apparently brilliant for helping with chalky/cakey powder. Same with the Urban Decay sprays, you can pick up a travel size for around a tenner.

Thanks bscm, I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

NYX setting spray is a great product - its comes in Matt and Dewy.
    I use the matt one and find it lasts all day, the only downside it takes a while to dry! check the reviews on littlewoods, it cost about 11 euro!

• Advertisement
Advertisement