Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I really hope we sign a playmaker and a winger soon, we very badly need those type of players, we have no creativity and nobody who takes on players, very stagnent midfield and a lack of movement up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just overheard AVB on the phone to Roman....

"1 No Neymar, I No Sanchez, a sneijder and a decent right back and make it pronto!"

And Romans response :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyoY-ykC4rJYz1aMUWswjnpQTWd-xeolTANLExLnjCJBhqH_irFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Ian McGarry has been at it again
    Remember when he said we would spend 100 mill this summer?!

"On Aguero: #CFC bid for him last summer. He didn't want to leave Atleti. They then spent £50m on striker in Jan who was not manager's choice"
    "#CFC have made an offer for Lukaku of around £10m + add ons. Possibility the player will stay with Anderlecht until Jan or longer on loan."
    "AVB priority is to buy a left sided attacking midfielder at top in 4-3-3. Lukaku is investment for future. Modric seen as left side middle 3"

Some wag wrote a piece about how we will never fully break this market as its long gone to UTD and pool

and thing theres this piece below

http://lovelfc.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/liverpool-still-leave-chelsea-feeling-blue-in-malaysia/

I can understand Utd having a big share of it with Park Ji Sung, but FFS, Aisa is a pretty big continent. :rolleyes:

Im sure any team that went over there would pull a crowd, but if it happens to be Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Utd, liverpool then the fans will turn out in their droves for the household names they know.

Stupid woman.

"On Aguero: #CFC bid for him last summer. He didn't want to leave Atleti. They then spent £50m on striker in Jan who was not manager's choice"
    "#CFC have made an offer for Lukaku of around £10m + add ons. Possibility the player will stay with Anderlecht until Jan or longer on loan."
    "AVB priority is to buy a left sided attacking midfielder at top in 4-3-3. Lukaku is investment for future. Modric seen as left side middle 3"

At this stage hes just re-hashing what we all have already heard. If we go for Aguero and I dont think we will, he could go to City. He didnt join us because Athleico we're Europa League winners and he felt they could push on.

If we get lukaku, I'd ahve no problem letting him stay with Anderlecht for another season, get gaurnteed 1st team games and he could slot in next year when Drogba and Anelka will probably be gone, or the flip side to that coin is we could have Droga tutor him for a year with us before Drogbas swan song.

We need a creative palyer yes and potentially a wide man but if we get Modric we could have both, he has played wide for Spurs in midfield before so i'd trust him to do a job centrally or from wide.

Interesting times ahead but McGarry could be miles wide of the mark too.

I thought wilkins confirmed that it was carlo who wanted torres as early as last summer. He talks a lot of sh!te McGarry imo.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I thought wilkins confirmed that it was carlo who wanted torres as early as last summer. He talks a lot of sh!te McGarry imo.

I knew I meant to correct something from that.

This is true also,as confirmed by Carlo and Wilkins.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

chelseayouth Chelsea Youth
    (Via @Kingkeir) Chelsea close to signing Barcelona's Oriol Romeu? http://bit.ly/nmRbZ4

(Via @Kingkeir) Chelsea close to signing Barcelona's Oriol Romeu? http://bit.ly/nmRbZ4

another defensive midfielder? 5m!

El Mundo Deportivo. He's primarily a holding midfielder but can also play as a central defender. The only potential issue is that Barca want the option of buying him back after two seasons (a clause they've also included in their deal for Bojan to go to Roma I believe). Chelsea should tell them where to go.

• Advertisement

telegraph review of the match - its not good!

They defeated a Malaysian select courtesy of a goal credited to Didier Drogba by the stadium announcer but his free-kick cannoned off the post, struck reserve goalkeeper Mohd Izham Tarmizi on the back and crept over the line. Or didn’t, as the Malaysians claimed.

The assistant referee gave it but it didn’t appear conclusive and there was no benefit of replays inside the stadium.

Still it saved Chelsea’s blushes – just as Tal Ben Haim had scored an own goal in the previous friendly, away to Portsmouth. How they toiled in the heat in front of their new manager André Villas-Boas. Much work needs to be done to hone this team.

There was a familiar theme of concern – the indifferent form of Fernando Torres. Despite a summer of rest, the £50m striker still looked woefully short of confidence. Fitness is, of course, an issue for all at this time of the season and the 12-hour flight, heat and humidity of Kuala Lumpur did not help.

Torres gained the biggest cheer when the teams were read out but as he failed to live up to that star billing.

Torres did not look predatory. He should have scored inside two minutes, only for his shot to be blocked by goalkeeper Mohd Farizal Marlias with his feet and then, when he was through once more, he tried to shift the ball to his right, delayed, and was tackled.
    The Spanish international looked ponderous at times, failing to rise to meet a dangerous Jose Bosingwa cross and when he did trick his way past a defender, his shot lacked conviction. Playing as a lone striker he looked isolated and didn’t harry the defenders enough.
    Indeed Chelsea looked pedestrian with Yossi Benayoun struggling to provide support from the right, although Salomon Kalou was far more threatening on the other flank. It was a familiar 4-3-3 formation for Villas-Boas with a smattering of young players, including Josh McEachran, in his starting line-up.
    Chelsea, rightly, dominated against a Malaysian select which was not as strong as the side that had shipped six goals against Liverpool – albeit scoring three also – and four against Arsenal in this stadium last week.
    That is because Malaysia have an important World Cup qualifier away to Singapore this weekend and so their line-up was drawn largely from the Olympic (under-23) squad with a smattering of senior players.
    The contest was officially sold out with the final pockets of empty seats filled up as the game kicked-off. It meant there was more than 84,000 inside the stadium with, three years ago, on their last tour of Asia, Chelsea pulling 50,000 to this fixture. They will have been encouraged by the attendance.
    Villas-Boas withdrew Ryan Bertrand, after he picked up a first-half injury, and his replacement Patrick Van Aanholt came closest to opening the scoring in that opening period after playing a smart one-two only for the goalkeeper to again save with his legs.
    It’s still early in pre-season, and Chelsea have much of their work still to do, but there was little sharpness to their play with Frank Lampard, first-half captain, sloppy in possession. Villas-Boas understandably rang the changes at half-time with 11 substitutions – as he did at Portsmouth last weekend – although it meant Van Aanholt only got to play for seven minutes before the sub was subbed.
    It also meant that, once more, he had not paired Torres with Drogba or altered formation.
    There was also little discernable improvement with passes going astray and players struggling to control possession. The Malaysians remained dogged but Chelsea desperately lacked creativity; a play-maker. Little wonder they continue to pursue Luka Modric.
    Eventually Villas-Boas did alter his approach – with Daniel Sturridge partnering Drogba in attack and Nicolas Anelka dropping in behind to try and forge more opportunities. It was a tactic that has also been used by Carlo Ancelotti at times.
    John Terry headed over Yuri Zhirkov’s free-kick – claiming he was impeded – while goalkeeper Marlias again intervened, this time to block Sturridge’s shot, after the striker was played through by John Obi Mikel.
    Finally Drogba – or Tarmizi – intervened and Chelsea had a win, another narrow one. No goal conceded but they have to improve dramatically in the coming weeks. In fact, Malaysia should have equalised, only for Thamil Arasu to drag his shot wide when clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

No-way thats ridiculous, top clubs don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Anyone here able to get into Chelsea Chat at the moment. Seems to be down since end of friendly. Natives restless at lacklustre pre-season performances .... maybe a bit of censorship going on?? Not good - but we've been crap for the past 2 pre-seasons as well. So - no worries here. seems Sturridge looked sharp - will watch it tonight after work.

Anyone here able to get into Chelsea Chat at the moment. Seems to be down since end of friendly. Natives restless at lacklustre pre-season performances .... maybe a bit of censorship going on?? Not good - but we've been crap for the past 2 pre-seasons as well. So - no worries here. seems Sturridge looked sharp - will watch it tonight after work.

I thought sturridge was poor, his touch was awful, ball seemed to bounce off him. And anelka fook sake, its a retirement home for old footballers it seems, he could not give a fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

I thought sturridge was poor, his touch was awful, ball seemed to bounce off him. And anelka fook sake, its a retirement home for old footballers it seems, he could not give a fook.

Oh, I'd have Anelka and Malouda out the door if it were my call!! They drove me to distraction last year!

Sanchez to Barca for 23 million FFS! How do they do it. WOuld have cost us double that

• Advertisement

Sanchez to Barca for 23 million FFS! How do they do it. WOuld have cost us double that

I know its ridiculous. he will fail there also, he is a player that needs to play 90 minutes every week. He will be nothing more than a squad rotation player there and they will sell him or loan him out after one season guaranteed

Looks like oriol romeu from barca will replace essien. I don't know much about him except he can play DM and CB roles, is 20 and apparently AVB was looking to sign him when he was at porto. Good to see us getting a highly rated youngster in.

I know its ridiculous. he will fail there also, he is a player that needs to play 90 minutes every week. He will be nothing more than a squad rotation player there and they will sell him or loan him out after one season guaranteed

Same with Fab then

Mind you I cant see our new Barca signing getting much time with us either.
    Cant see this sell back clause being true, what would be the point? Why not just loan him out somewhere

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7054518,00.html

We have the weirdiest transfer "strategy" I've ever seen. Buy young and loan out - never to return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Same with Fab then

Cant see this sell back clause being true, what would be the point? Why not just loan him out somewhere

We have the weirdiest transfer "strategy" I've ever seen. Buy young and loan out - never to return!

When I point that out you get very annoyed.:pac:

Same with Fab then

Romeu won't go on loan, he will be cover for essien. He won't be a first choice starter but over the course of a season he will get a fair few games.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    When I point that out you get very annoyed.:pac:

True - but I think we are outdoing ourselves now, esp when a player returns after 6 years and still without a visa!
    Its still a fine line for chelsea managers - play them if they are good enough, but if results dont go well, then you have to play the "old reliables" (Some now not so reliable!)

But the signs are better with AVB. He is looking closely at everyone and there could be a real chance of some of them staying and getting the odd game. They certainly look more hungry and have more energy than some of the present team

Update from he Man himself!

Blues boss biding his time
    Villas-Boas to give returning loan trio chance to impress
    ....Andre Villas-Boas has refused to comment on reports linking Chelsea with Anderlecht striker Romelu Lukaku.

Sky Sports sources believe the Blues have made a bid for the 18-year-old Belgium international, who has valued at around £20million by his club.

But speaking during his side's pre-season trip to Asia, Villas-Boas claimed he is biding his time before making his move in the transfer window.

The Blues boss wants to weigh up whether to keep the likes of Daniel Sturridge, Ryan Bertrand and Patrick van Aanholt in his first-team squad this season after each went out on loan last term.

The new Chelsea chief has therefore urged fans to be patient while he assesses his options and decides which areas need strengthening.

"You know how frenetic the market gets in the last few weeks of August," he said. "It always happens like that.

Changes expected
    "I understand the fans want and expect new signings and radical changes but I think it's valuable that we are assessing things as they are.

"Daniel is back from a loan, Ryan is back from a loan and Patrick is back from a loan - this has a value for us and it must have a value for Chelsea supporters as well.

"We are not taking decisions lightly and we are pondering every situation in order to go into the market for the things that we really need and not to go in chaotically and commit mistakes.

"In the end you have to put a squad together that enables you to be successful."

So thats it then - expect a last min rush!

Info on Oriol Romeu (Not an american choco biscuit apparently!)

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2011/7/21/2287118/who-is-oriol-romeu

^^

I wouldnt panic just yet lads. Wait until the end of the Stoke game on August 14th and we can judge AVB a bit better.

I dont think we are going to rush into the transfer market but everyone and there dog knows that Modric and Lukaku are our top targets this summer.

The Sanchez deal is interesting, Barca are interested and his price is nearly halfed what it seems that Udinese wanted for Sanchez. Maybe Sanchez forced there hand and demanded a move to spain and that was Barcas best offer or else Barca have the best agents in the world negoiating for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

SkyGraemeBaileyGraeme Bailey

Interesting new angle on Lukaku from Belgium, says Chelsea have upped their bid to €21m whilst also offering Daniel Sturridge on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

no deal Graeme Bailey no deal

amiable wrote: »
    SkyGraemeBaileyGraeme Bailey

I'd nearly claim sheninagans on that deal anyway and that Graeme is talking out of his arse. I cant see Danny going on loan to Anderlecht of all people, he will want to stay in England at the very least. Best option would be to leave Lukaku stay in Anderlecht for another year.
    brmccfc wrote: »
    no deal Graeme Bailey no deal

+ 1 on this for me anyway, I'd rather keep Danny then loan him out anyway.

gavredking wrote: »
    I'd nearly claim sheninagans on that deal anyway and that Graeme is talking out of his arse. I cant see Danny going on loan to Anderlecht of all people, he will want to stay in England at the very least. Best option would be to leave Lukaku stay in Anderlecht for another year.

+ 1 on this for me anyway, I'd rather keep Danny then loan him out anyway.

I agree. Completely contradicts AVB. "we dont need any strikers" and " its unlikely for the deal to happen"

"Lukaku had a magnificent season in Belgium," said Villas-Boas.
    "We are pondering every decision because we don't want to go into the market and make mistakes.
    "We have plenty of availability in terms of forwards who can play in different positions - with Anelka, with Kalou, Didier, Torres and Sturridge.
    "This is the reality at the moment of our squad. We need to find the correct balance and this is why pre-season is important.
    "On that decision, to bring in another forward, at the moment I don't think we will."

Good piece here on Josh
    http://backpagefootball.com/premier-league/josh-mceachran-chelsea%E2%80%99s-fledgling-playmaker/

I agree. Completely contradicts AVB. "we dont need any strikers" and " its unlikely for the deal to happen"

"Lukaku had a magnificent season in Belgium," said Villas-Boas.
    "We are pondering every decision because we don't want to go into the market and make mistakes.
    "We have plenty of availability in terms of forwards who can play in different positions - with Anelka, with Kalou, Didier, Torres and Sturridge.
    "This is the reality at the moment of our squad. We need to find the correct balance and this is why pre-season is important.
    "On that decision, to bring in another forward, at the moment I don't think we will."

Good piece here on Josh
    http://backpagefootball.com/premier-league/josh-mceachran-chelsea%E2%80%99s-fledgling-playmaker/

Which is why we should buy him ( Lukaku ) and let him stay at Anderlecht for another year and develop further with genuine game time.

Its better for Chelsea interest to buy him now and secure his services before one of the other European clubs come in for him. After a year he could come in and replace Drogba or Anelka and take their position in the squad with Drogba been 34 next year and Anelka turning 33.

Good read on Josh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Which is why we should buy him ( Lukaku ) and let him stay at Anderlecht for another year and develop further with genuine game time.

Its better for Chelsea interest to buy him now and secure his services before one of the other European clubs come in for him. After a year he could come in and replace Drogba or Anelka and take their position in the squad with Drogba been 34 next year and Anelka turning 33.

Good read on Josh too.
    Lukaku may not want to stay at Anderlecht for another season.
    He might want to prove himself in England now

I had to directly that article that Sgt Peppe64 came across, good read.

Thumbs up to Sgt Pepper64 for the link.

joshmceachran.jpg

Terry Venebles in the 1960s; Alan Hudson and Ray Wilkins in the 1970s; Micky Hazard in the 1980s; Roberto di Matteo in the 1990s; and to a lesser extent, Frank Lampard in the 2000s. In the past fifty years, Chelsea have had an illustrious alumni of creative central midfielders and they could be about to add a new name to that list with André Villas-Boas targeting 25 year old midfield maestro Luka Modrić as Chelsea’s leading playmaker for this decade. However, it is worth nothing that Chelsea already have one of the hottest creative prospects in European football on their books: 18 year old Josh McEachran.

McEachran’s development comes at a time when Chelsea’s current midfield badly lacks a creative cog. Despite Lampard’s brilliant passing range and vision, he is noted more for his positioning in the final third of the pitch, his direct assists and his goalscoring rather than his dictation of Chelsea’s tempo and play. That is why, since Chelsea’s shift in playing style after Jose Mourinho’s departure in September 2007, the Blues are searching for a playmaker to be the pivot of play in the middle of the park, that is, to provide the final pass and phase before the assist of a goal.

Under Mourinho, the emphasis was placed on direct football and achieving and maintaining narrow advantages with short and sensible passing; counter-attacking; a disciplined defensive midfielder in Claude Makelele; full-backs not marauding to the byline; wingers tracking back; and hold-up play from Didier Drogba. There was little room for personal expression or free-roles, as was seen in Mourinho criticising Joe Cole for not tracking back despite the Englishman scoring in the 1-0 win against Liverpool in 2004. With Abramovich developing a preference to win 4-3 rather than 1-0 in recent years, and with the 4-3-3 now becoming universal in world football, unlike when Mourinho’s Chelsea often had an extra midfielder against the then common 4-4-2 in England from 2004-2006, the importance of a creative midfielder cannot be underestimated.
    Chelsea have been here before in trying to find a regista.

Luiz Felipe Scolari signed the then 31 year old Deco, who had moved deeper in midfield with age, in the summer of 2008 but the Portuguese playmaker was past his consistent and brilliant best, which he had showcased from 2003-2007, when he arrived at Stamford Bridge. One year later, Carlo Ancelotti came very close to bringing in the then 30 year old Andrea Pirlo to give Chelsea, as Ancelotti put it, “the quality in the middle of the pitch to change their personality.” However, with Villas-Boas wanting to sign Modrić, the policy has changed. Modrić and McEachran are examples of, as Jonathan Wilson puts it, a new breed of playmakers: fantasistas.
    Rather than being the deep-lying regista or the attacking trequirista, they are a tactical blend – operating naturally as prompters at the halfway line with an element of tactical discipline, yet are also known for their free-roaming across the final third of the pitch. These fantasista tendencies are evident in some of Modrić’s statistics, in comparison to other central midfielders in the Premier League, from last season: 87% pass accuracy (highest in the league), 2.1 key passes per game (fourth highest in the league), 2.5 interceptions per game (second highest in the league) and 2.2 successful dribbles per game (the highest in the league). Direct assists and goals are not a part of a fantasista’s game with Modrić assisting four goals last season and netting just three goals himself. McEachran has a near identical scoring and assist record with the reserves and has admitted that he needs “to get into the box more to score more goals.”
    While McEachran was deployed as a deep-lying regista under Ancelotti, his natural position is central midfielder and this is the position he has thrived in for the past ten years.

The dainty Englishman was spotted by Chelsea when he was playing for Oxford Mails Boys League side Garden City F.C in 2001. Interestingly, McEachran’s arrival came years before Abramovich’s multi-million pound investment in youth recruitment (including the £5 million acquisition of both Tom Taiwo and Michael Woods from Leeds in 2008– who have both been since released), the Academy and Chelsea’s state-of-the-art Cobham facilities where all of Chelsea’s teams train. This is partly why McEachran, whose Oxfordshire birthplace is just over an hour away from Stamford Bridge, is so popular with the Chelsea faithful. Despite the arrival of superstars like Arjen Robben, Didier Drogba, Ashley Cole, Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko and Fernando Torres over the years, the fans have longed for a relatively local player who has come through the club’s youth ranks and who they can call their own – just like when John Terry broke into Gianluca Vialli’s multinational first-team in 2000.
    Even though McEachran has always had a diminutive frame, his natural ability has been so great that he has played in the above age group throughout his time at Chelsea. Former Chelsea defender Jason Cundy, coach of the Under-11 and Under-12 Chelsea teams, was one of McEachran’s first coaches and admired the fact that even then, the youngster had “the mental ability and toughness to not get overawed in situations and instead took it all in his stride.” Amazingly, McEachran is one of the few playmakers in world football who is naturally left-footed and this stood out in his rise through the higher age groups. In 2008, Wilkins, the then assistant manager to Scolari, first witnessed the then 15 year old McEachran in an under-17s friendly against Racing Club and remarked, after the youngster had shimmied the ball inside the full-back, that “he’s Liam Brady!” Wilkins also paid tribute to McEachran’s brilliant set-piece delivery, his natural passing trajectory and his ball control, which was so impressive that he needed little time on the ball because “he had seen the picture before any other player had.”

With Wilkins’ recommendation, it was not long before McEachran was involved in first-team duties. After his impressive performance against Racing, the 15 year old trained with the first-team for a few sessions in the pre-season of 2008. Coupled with his involvement with the first-team, the naturally reserved McEachran also began media training at the club – perhaps an indication and warning of how well publicised his career will become in the coming years. However, with McEachran still balancing his school studies at Marlborough School in Woodstock, and not yet being old enough to sign a professional contract, his first-team debut did not come until 2010.

The in between period with both the youth team and the reserves was crucial to the youngster’s development. The 2009/2010 season was McEachran’s first season as a contracted professional footballer and he was instrumental in Chelsea’s first FA Youth Cup victory for forty-nine years, when they defeated Aston Villa 3-2 on aggregate. The Englishman formed a devastating, telepathic and well-balanced partnership with the industrious Conor Clifford, which was evident in McEachran brilliantly teeing up the Irishman for the winning goal against Villa in the 84th minute. Following on from the Youth Cup success, McEachran joined up with the England Under-17 squad for the European Championships in Liechenstein and as a trequirista, played a huge role in England’s eventual tournament victory, particularly in the semi-final against France and the final against Spain, where he provided an assist in each game.

McEachran was now deemed ready for first-team action. His competitive debut came in a fifteen minute cameo away to Slovakian side MSK Zilina in the Champions League Group F match on 15 September. Despite Chelsea already being 4-1 up when the youngster came on for Yossi Benayoun, McEachran put in a committed and impressive display.

The Englishman, initially deployed as a deep-lying regista in the match, was unfazed by being the youngest ever participant in the UEFA Champions League and instead became the focal point of every Chelsea attack and counter-attack – regularly rotating to the left and right of John Obi Mikel and Yuri Zhirkov. A week later, he made his professional home debut in the fifty-fifth minute, for the injured Salomon Kalou, as Chelsea looked to come back from 3-1 down against Newcastle in the Carling Cup 3rd round tie at Stamford Bridge. While Newcastle did rotate their squad, regulars like Tim Krul, Fabricio Coloccini, Mike Williamson, Cheik Tioté, Jonas Gutiérrez and Shola Ameobi all featured. This made McEachran’s performance all the more impressive.

Slotting in as the midfield pivot alongside Ramires and Zhirkov, McEachran gave Chelsea much needed composure and balance in the middle of the park as he began to dictate the tempo of the game. Operating everywhere from just outside his own penalty area, right up to Newcastle’s eighteen yard box, the youngster’s enthusiasm and courageous dribbling reenergised a slack Chelsea performance and gave the often mute Chelsea supporters the encouragement to get behind their team. All of McEachran’s brilliant passing abilities were evident: one-touch passes, lofted through balls, through balls with the outside of his foot, and the effortless switch of possession to the other side of the pitch. Although Chelsea did go on to lose the game 4-3, McEachran’s performance was widely praised with captain Terry, who was rested and in the stands that night, praising the youngster’s contribution: “He is a quiet lad but really wants to learn and once he gets on the field, he has amazing ability and can open defences with a pass. You could see against Newcastle that he changed the game. He wanted the ball and for a young player to do that was great to see.”
    Three days later, with Chelsea 1-0 down to a Carlos Tévez goal, a ten minute cameo came at Eastlands – McEachran’s Premier League debut. Further late apperances followed in games against Aston Villa, Spartak Moscow (x2), Wolves and Sunderland before his first ever Chelsea start, against MSK Zilina on 23 November at Stamford Bridge. McEachran finished the match with a whooping 105 passes completed and an 86% pass completion rate – the highest number of passes and highest pass completion rate on matchday five. While it might be easy to question the standard of opposition Chelsea faced, the Blues were going through a poor run of form going into the match and were 1-0 down for forty-two minutes. McEachran started Chelsea’s next Champions League match, against Marseille at the daunting Stade Vélodrome, but was unfazed by the quality of opposition and the intimidating surroundings. He gave yet another assured performance – despite being rarely allowed to venture forward by Ancelotti. His next start came in the 7-0 mauling of Ipswich on 9 January before further late cameos against Bolton, Blackburn and Blackpool.

By 15 May, Chelsea were officially out of the title race after losing to Manchester United the week before. Perhaps realising, naively, that two strong performances and results in the final two games against Newcastle and Everton would somehow aid his already doomed cause, Ancelotti fielded a strong team in both matches. With second place wrapped up, Ancelotti’s decision to not give youngsters playing time was criticised but his belief in McEachran was shown in starting the youngster in a full-strength, apart from Michael Essien, first XI against Newcastle.
    Despite describing McEachran’s ability and personality as “amazing”, Ancelotti failed to start the youngster in his natural central midfield position – instead banishing him to the holding midfield role. Even though McEachran does possess a decent tackle, the ‘quarter back’ position meant that the youngster had little license to get forward and after being regularly closed down by Joey Barton, McEacrhan found little room to manoeuvre and hit his trademark through balls. It resulted in the youngster being forced to play simple passes and he had a quiet game, which led to Michael Essien coming on for the Englishman in the 64th minute. A late substitute appearance against Everton followed as McEachran’s debut season finished with seventeen appearances overall (three starts).

Jack Wilshere is ten months older than McEachran and had to prove himself on loan at Bolton in the 2009/2010 season before Arsène Wenger implemented the youngster into the first-team. McEachran is likely to face the same fate with Villas-Boas, particularly if Modrić arrives, but one would hope, with Frank Lampard entering his final season as an ‘untouchable’, that if the youngster impresses on loan, Roman Abramovich will go against history and not turn to his chequebook and instead, McEachran will become Chelsea’s first meaningful Academy graduate since John Terry in 2000.

amiable wrote: »
    Lukaku may not want to stay at Anderlecht for another season.
    He might want to prove himself in England now

This is true, but if hes a Chelsea fan as he says he is, and Chelsea come in for him and ask him to stay at anderlecht for another year im sure he would have no problem in doing so to allow him better opportunities to play next year.

Hes still so young that his " dream " move to Chelsea will happen eventually and if it involves another year in Belgium so be it.

• Advertisement

This is true, but if hes a Chelsea fan as he says he is, and Chelsea come in for him and ask him to stay at anderlecht for another year im sure he would have no problem in doing so to allow him better opportunities to play next year.

Hes still so young that his " dream " move to Chelsea will happen eventually and if it involves another year in Belgium so be it.

he's already been quoted as saying "there are other top clubs not just chelsea"

Perhaps Chelsea are playing the whole thing down to ward off other interest.
    If he does come and doesnt go out on loan, I def want Danny to stay and would prefer Anelka or Kalou to make way.
    Personally I'm more interested what we are going to do with our midfield. Someone is coming in, possibly 2 but who? Is one of them this barca kid?

Essiens injury frees up a non homegrown spot for someone for at least 6 months

he's already been quoted as saying "there are other top clubs not just chelsea"

Perhaps Chelsea are playing the whole thing down to ward off other interest.
    If he does come and doesnt go out on loan, I def want Danny to stay and would prefer Anelka or Kalou to make way.
    Personally I'm more interested what we are going to do with our midfield. Someone is coming in, possibly 2 but who? Is one of them this barca kid?

Essiens injury frees up a non homegrown spot for someone for at least 6 months

Part in bold - You'd hope so anyway, we have been courting him for awhile now and I can imagine if we are a bit mroe shroud in our dealings we can sign him without to much fuss and have it slip under the radar.

Got to agree about Anelka / Kalou. If we sign Lukaku now he should work with Drogba and that would force one of Danny / Kalou / Anelka out, Danny could go on loan but you can imagine Anelka or Kalou would be transfered.

On our midfield, we need a bit of cover alright and Modric looks certain and then it leaves the possibilty of another, which I dont think we need with Piazon coming in January.

Its deals like this that make me wonder how some players are valued so highly.

Surely at 12 million he would have been worth a punt?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7055405,00.html

Barcelona have announced they have reached an agreement to sell Bojan Krkic to Roma for €12million.

The deal includes a buy-back option for Barcelonaspacer.gif to bring the player back to Camp Nou in 2013 for €13million.

A statement from Barcelona read: "The cost of the operation is 12million euros but includes a compulsory buy-out option to be exercised by Barcelona at the end of the 2012/13 campaign, at a cost of 13million euros.

"This buy-out option can be blocked by AS Romaspacer.gif but in that case, the total cost of the transfer would be 40million euros."

Bojan struggled to hold down a regular place in Barca's star-studded side last season and they are willing to let him move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I refuse to read too much into pre-season games any more. Pretty much every game I watch or read about is all doom and gloom with the team not looking sharp and lazy, with fairly poor results thrown in for good measure!

I remember last year getting Chelsea TV for the pre season games and saying never again, the only good thing is its a chance to see some of the younger guys who do seem to be trying hard. All in all like someone said a few pages ago I will reserve judgement untill after i see our first league game. But even if we do poor for the first 6 months or so the manger has to given a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

The buy back clause final decision is by the player right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Surely at 12 million he would have been worth a punt?

Yeah but not the possable €40Mill it could cost them...

Ye I wonder what would happen if he decided to stay at Roma, do they the have to pay the full 40m?

Atlético Madrid confirm that they have taken Thibaut Courtois on loan for a year from Chelsea. #CFC

I refuse to read too much into pre-season games any more. Pretty much every game I watch or read about is all doom and gloom with the team not looking sharp and lazy, with fairly poor results thrown in for good measure!

I remember last year getting Chelsea TV for the pre season games and saying never again, the only good thing is its a chance to see some of the younger guys who do seem to be trying hard. All in all like someone said a few pages ago I will reserve judgement untill after i see our first league game. But even if we do poor for the first 6 months or so the manger has to given a chance!

This is the most important part, AVB needs to be given time. I rememeber saying the same about Carlo last season it didnt hapen so if we dont win anything this comig season I wouldnt be surprised if AVB was out on his ear.

Nope, its up to Barca come 2013
    Yeah but not the possable €40Mill it could cost them...

Hes not worth €40 Million but if they got him for €12 Million and Barca decide to take him back for €13 Million then Roma are automatically up a million :pac:
    Ye I wonder what would happen if he decided to stay at Roma, do they the have to pay the full 40m?

If he wants to stay and roma reckon hes good enough they have to put the rest of the total of 40 Million, that considers the €12 already paid so in reality Roma would have to pay Barca €28 Million in 2013 if they want to keep him.

• Advertisement

Atlético Madrid confirm that they have taken Thibaut Courtois on loan for a year from Chelsea. #CFC

Good move for Courtois, does anyone know is Sergio Asenjo is still an Atleico keeper or have they sold him too?

He was considered a better talent then De Gea but got injured and De Gea replaced him and for last season he was loaned out AFAIK.

Taken from the BBC Football Gossip pages.

Make of it what you will, could be aload of waffle.

http://www.footybunker.com/chelsea-to-make-final-35m-offer-for-modric/8135

Chelsea FC are preparing one final bid of £35m for Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Luka Modric but will not look to pay anything more than that.

The West London club have already had two bids rejected by Tottenham chief Daniel Levy for £22m and £27m respectively however they believe their third bid could tempt Harry Redknapp into making a sale with the 64 year old keen on raising cash quickly so he can make some summer signings to boost the attack.

With it proving difficult for Redknapp to sell the likes of Robbie Keane, Niko Kranjcar and Wilson Palacios at this time, a tabled offer of £35m could be tempting, especially seeing as the Croatian does seem to want to join Chelsea.

If Redknapp were to accept the offer though it would seem to fans that the club will go back on their word and sell if the price is right.
    Redknapp and Levy have said from the very start that Modric is not for sale and anything other than keeping him at White Hart Lane this season could prove to be the nail in a possible Champions League qualifying coffin.

Taken from the BBC Football Gossip pages.

Make of it what you will, could be aload of waffle.

http://www.footybunker.com/chelsea-to-make-final-35m-offer-for-modric/8135

yep its all over the news, SSN etc and of course harry has come out and said he;s worth a lot more!

Good move for Courtois, does anyone know is Sergio Asenjo is still an Atleico keeper or have they sold him too?

He was considered a better talent then De Gea but got injured and De Gea replaced him and for last season he was loaned out AFAIK.

No, i think he'd be fighting it out with Joel and Asenjo for the first spot. Joel is one of Atlético's most talented players and have always been in the shadow of De Gea, just because he's the same age group.
    I think that was the sticking point - we wanted to make sure he gets a certain number of games.

look at what we've done with Delac - desperate to play

yep its all over the news, SSN etc and of course harry has come out and said he;s worth a lot more!

Funny that, if Modric is not for sale how can he be worth a lot more?

Good one 'Arry. ;)

No, i think he'd be fighting it out with Joel and Asenjo for the first spot. Joel is one of Atlético's most talented players and have always been in the shadow of De Gea, just because he's the same age group.
    I think that was the sticking point - we wanted to make sure he gets a certain number of games.

look at what we've done with Delac - desperate to play

That was the problem with Atleico, there keepers we're all under 21 when they got rid of Leo Franco but De Gea was given the jersey after Asenjo injury and hasnt looked back and now looks like the long term Spain number 1, when Casillas retires in about 20 years time :pac:

P.S. I'd love if we made Delac our numebr 2 for thsi season, give him his chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

F*ck off Harry, god that man lives on another planet. He must love the sound of his own voice, every oppurtunity he gets he babbles on with his incoherent ramblings.

35m take it or leave it, I don't really care at this stage what happens, just as long as this matters put to rest and Harry can take a few breaths and shut up for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Lukker- wrote: »
    F*ck off Harry, god that man lives on another planet. He must love the sound of his own voice, every oppurtunity he gets he babbles on with his incoherent ramblings.

35m take it or leave it, I don't really care at this stage what happens, just as long as this matters put to rest and Harry can take a few breaths and shut up for a few days.

We'll leave it so.. thanks. Also, thanks for unsettling our player.

Modric is our key player, pivotal to how we play. Our chairman and manager are absolutely correct in saying that it will take a lot more than £35 million for us to sell.

I also believe that Modric would quickly prove himself to be well worth a fee of more than £40 million if he moves to Chelsea. He is a type of player that ye are sorely lacking.

Saying that modric is worth more than 35mill is a joke tbh, if they dont accept a 35mill offer they can keep there unhappy player and we should look elsewhere where for 35mill you could get a world class player. Sure 35mill is the price they are talking about for sneijder. Complete delusion from arry but what did you expect from a man who so publcly whores himself out to the media in nauseating fashion.

Saying that modric is worth more than 35mill is a joke tbh, if they dont accept a 35mill offer they can keep there unhappy player and we should look elsewhere where for 35mill you could get a world class player. Sure 35mill is the price they are talking about for sneijder. Complete delusion from arry but what did you expect from a man who so publcly whores himself out to the media in nauseating fashion.

Actually I agree with Mr Guappa.
    Modric and Bale are both priceless symbols to Spurs, and Modric is worth far more than 35 million to them.
    Spurs have been building for years and now finally have players capable of challenging for trophies. If they were to lose either of them, it could set them back years again. If it was so easy to replace Modric for 35 million with another player, then surely Chelsea would go for that option?
    Modric is PL proven, plays in the position that Chelsea are desperate for and wants to come to Chelsea, and not Barca or RM. Theres not many of those about!
    That is the battle that Harry knows he is facing. He may be a media groupie but he's no fool and knows what it takes to build a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

we should look elsewhere where for 35mill you could get a world class player. Sure 35mill is the price they are talking about for sneijder.

this is it really, its such a ridiculous amout of money to spend, if they're not happy with that, and he's their player so they have the right to set his price, then they're has to be so many other quality players in the world that we could bring in that could be gotten for 35mil or less?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement