Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Medal Dublin 1916

Options
  • 18-09-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

The Military Medal was brought into existence in March 1916. Two of the earliest recipients were ladies caught up in the Easter Rising, April 1916.

Louisa Nolan was awarded hers for attending to wounded at Mount St whilst under fire. Florence Williams was awarded hers for attending to wounded in the Dublin Castle area whilst under fire.

Anyone any idea what happened to these 2 ladies or any background information about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi johnny,a google search brings up some info on them and a photo of Louisa Nolan on the MSOI website http://www.msoi.eu/browse-articles?start=861 and some background info from the Ulster Meseum http://www.nmni.com/um/Collections/History/Militaria/Miss-Louisa-Nolan-s-Military-Medal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

thanks for that.

I'm hoping to track them in the census records, find out their family origins and see what happened to them both (if possible). There's a little info about them in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook but not enough to give a fuller picture. Any and all leads welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

JD here is some info from MSOI online archives that might help its from a letter dated May 1997

"With reference to the list of awards for the Easter Rising, the Ulster Museum has the MM award to Louisa Nolan for the Rising, and in correspondence from Mrs. Craker, the grand daughter of Miss Florence Williams, I learned that her grandmother’s medal had been lost in the air raids on London. If you think this warrants a bit of development I have enough for a short article on both these ladies."

thanks for posting this info. Much appreciated.

I thought tracking down family info about these 2 ladies was going to be easier than it's proving.

Did come across this 1917 article in of all places a Singapore paper (Sinagapore having been the scene of a "Rising" in 1915)

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19170418.2.81.aspx

i scanned this pic and attached for you JD, hope it is of use to you.

• Advertisement

thanks for doing that. Much appreciated.

JD

Rescue of Soldiers During the Rising

The King held an investiture at Buckingham Palace on Saturday and bestowed a large number of war decorations. There was one Military Medal among the honours and this was conferred upon Miss Louise Nolan, who during the Irish Rebellion dragged wounded officers and soldiers into safety under heavy fire.

Interviewed Miss Nolan, who is still in her teens and is appearing at the Shaftesbury Theatre London, stated that on Monday April 24th, during the trouble in Dublin, she assisted in bringing in several wounded men. ‘On Tuesday,’ continued Miss Nolan ‘during the firing of the military and rebels, I made my way to where soldiers were stationed. I saw a soldier fall on the bridge and I asked for volunteers to come with me to lift him. No one seemed anxious. I did not think of danger at the time, but I pitied that soldier, for I thought of my brothers at the front. I ran along on to the bridge and dragged the soldier out of danger. Bullets were spitting all around me, but I escaped unharmed. I found the man was an officer.’

‘After I brought the officer under cover, I was joined by several others and we were able to place the wounded man under cover of a hoarding. One poor fellow died with his hand in mine. His last words were God bless you. I shall never forget the grateful look in that man's eyes. Little I had done to comfort his last minutes’.

Source
    Freeman's Journal 26/02/1917

thanks for this. Very good info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shelldee

The Military Medal was brought into existence in March 1916. Two of the earliest recipients were ladies caught up in the Easter Rising, April 1916.

Louisa Nolan was awarded hers for attending to wounded at Mount St whilst under fire. Florence Williams was awarded hers for attending to wounded in the Dublin Castle area whilst under fire.

Anyone any idea what happened to these 2 ladies or any background information about them?

Hi
    I am the grand daughter of florence ada williams who's married name was shelley. Dont know if you are still looking into this, but if you are will be happy to answer any questions you have.

D Shelley

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would like to know what Florence did after the Easter Rising, did the MM award have any impact on her and her family?

Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jodiemoore89

Just come across this thread, I know it was 5 years ago now but wondering if it still active! I am also the great grandaughter of Florence Williams and my aunt still has clippings from the time this happened. We are extremely proud of our Nanny Flo! I have passed this link on to my Aunt who is the family expert regarding the the Military Medal.

Jodie Moore

Advertisement