Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in Portlaoise

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RSF

Portlaoise is no different than any other town in Ireland, it has its fair share of problems that are constantly getting worse, but these are shared with every other town in the country.

I've lived in Portlaoise all my life, and so has my family. It has gone from bad to worse, with the new estates suffering from the same problem as the old ones. The population is rising rapidly because of its short distance from Dublin, the Midlands Prison, and of course, the influx of Eastern European migrants.

The town itself is quite limited and in my opinion, unable to support these rapid changes to its environment. I don't think it will get any better in future, especially if this current trend continues, it won't be a very nice place to live at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chris2005123

Hi,

Can anybody tell me is Lake Glen Portlaoise Co Laois is an ok area to live in, has anybody ever lived there??

Thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

I grew up in Clondalkin in Dublin. Moved here 13 years ago. And Dublin was far far nicer. Friendly community. If your not from here {Laois} the people will always call you a "blow in". There's a click and you'll never break it. My father is a Laois man, left 34 yrs ago. He always said "the best thing to come out of Laois is the Dublin Rd and me on it..." I'd love to move back to Dublin , but cant afford to. I hate this place with it's small people with small minds.Guards are so laid back, they bug young people with fancy cars to pass the time, instead of policing the town {PortLaoise}. Nothing but 'aul lad pubs in the town. Night clubs only have kids in them. Age 15-18, in over 21's only clubs...!?! Everything's the way it is, cos thats thats the way it always was..Town needs fresh, young vibrant blood in it.. You have to drive 40 mins to Tullamore at least to shop, or Kilkenny, Carlow etc. Nothing in the town. No classy parts, all of its run down and rough. Some lovely people in it, but you have to live here a long time to see it. Visiting would give you a depressing, one dimensional image to leave with. 13 yrs is a fair chance to give a place to have your oppinion changed, Portlaoise hasnt done it for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

My father said the very same, he was born in Ballacolla and lived there and in Portlaoise for years but never liked it and it is a very small minded town by and large. Different strokes for different folk though, I know a lot of people, my freinds and family included that are very happy there but I do totally understand where you're coming from. Ive lived there for years and the best thing Ive ever done is get out of there and live abroad or in Dublin. The last few years the live music scene for me got really good and that was the only thing keeping me there apart from my mates. I hope things get better for you though, maybe a change of circle of friends or something would be an idea...?

New friends would be nice. But i've done well for myself through hard work, endurance and ambition and i find most people/ other girls are either jealous of it or want to use it. Cant meet ambitious, friendly, young people like me. My mates are all on welfare, no cars, no jobs... Cant be doing with that... Need mates like me.. Hard working , going places.. Portlaoise can have some rough girls in it. You cant make eye contact with 'em in a club or ten of their mates jump you in the ladies..My mates: If u like her fella, you must fancy him, if you dont, your a jealous cow... Grrrrr! Are there no mature, decent people around?????????
    Thanks for your reply tho PClancy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

No worries, a lot of my mates who I would describe as ambitous etc are gone, moved to Dublin or England or abroad and myself i'm just starting a new life in New Zealand after being bored out of mind in Portlaoise for the last few years and moving on then to Oz and Japan if possible, its defo not somwhere i want to settle. Iou're prob just not gunna find like minded people within the mainstream I guess, maybe try new avenues like go to some of the gigs in Lethean upstairs or the Arts related stuff in the Dunamaise. There are some tho, I guess I was lucky to meet em. Met lots of good that dont think 12 pints and a row outside supermacs was a good weekend :)

Thanks for your encouragement.. I find it hard to meet people "in the middle". Last place i lived was very mixed in so far as "horsey" people on one side of me and -unemployed, sleep with the nighbours wife -type on the other. Didnt really want to associate with either of 'em... ha ha Wasn't born with a silver spoon in me gob or anything, but not one for the fine arts or wine tasting evenings... Ah...i live in hope...mind urself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Resident

hamrog wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Portlaoise in the next few months. Can anyone tell me what the town is like, good for shopping, any good pubs, any good restaurants? Basically is it a good town to live in? Also any advice on good estates? Was looking in Kilminchy village, but it seems quite built up? Any body got any experience, good or bad of Kilminchy?

Portlaoise is a good town and it all depends where you live. Remax are good estate agents well for buying it was the cheapest. Kilminchy village is on the Dublin Road. It is quite busy but if you have a car you will be ok. It is something like the IFSC well a smaller version there is a pub, off licence, takeaway, bookies, pharmacy, shop and hairdressers. It is a large place and you can easily get lost. It is a long distance from the centre of town. You can live nearer to town or on the mountmellick road where there are good estates as well so look around. On mountmellick road there is a dunnes stores shopping centre, train station, central more towards to town that end as you could walk into town. the furthest place you can live there is in Fairgreen. There is a new petrol station there and eurospar and a pub will be opening shortly. It is up to you which way you would like. But all I can say is Dublin Road is far from town if you wanted to walk it whereas Mountmellick Road is not too bad or even in town. Have a look around and ask the real estate agents and even people living there if you see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fretsomaniac

Been living in Portlaoise for a few months now. It has a good connection to Dublin. Does anyone know any good places to go out (preferably nightclubs) on a Saturday night (for a 19 year old person)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylouise88

Hi,

I have grown up in Tullamore. When it came to moving to college I couldn't wait to move to Dublin. After three years of traffic, crowds, over priced food - I couldnt wait to move home.

Tullamore is a lovely town - there are enough amenities that some one from Dublin would be accustomed to but closer range.

There are three leisure centres 2 private - 1 public, a bowling alley, an adventure centre, cinema, 3 shopping areas, with a fourth to open in 2012. Recently a new store opened that has many high street brands that a woman would be happy with.

A by pass has also just opened so traffic on a Friday in the town centre wont affect you.

The gepgraphic location is also unique - while not being on the main Dublin Road - the new N4 motor way is just a stones throw away, we also operate on the main Galway Dub train line.

Bus Eireann have a number of busses that travel through the town also.

In terms of night life - the town has quitened down alot - thats due to recession more than boring venues. Just pick a good bank holiday to go out on , or a saturday night.

Hope this helps you on your decision.

Also - even though I have grown up in the midlands I have never ventured over to Portlaoise as there is really nothing to entice anyone there - actually I was born there and have never been back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

Was in Kilminchy Village recently.

Would love to know how many of the houses are actually occupied, and how many are just sitting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BillyCamp

drdre wrote: »
    guys my uncle has a restaurant on the main street, Kingfisher. you check it out has great food:D

I been travelling through Portlaoise from the past 12 years and my main reason to stop in Portlaoise is the Kingfisher Restaurant, even though that town has been by passed but I still stop for my best meal, I doubt it can get any better and then it does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DiscoZimpy

Portlaoise is a badly laid out town, traffic can be crazy. Planners there have alot to answer for.

Advertisement