Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council NQT registration

• 24-07-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hope this is not a topic that has been done to death - it doesn't seem to be and I could find a straight answer on the Teaching Council website. I am an NQT and have sent off my registration to the Teaching Council (for primary level). Just wondering how long the process usually takes - I have my Garda Vetting already and all I am waiting for is confirmation of registration/ teacher number. The registration form had to be in by the 1st August and I sent it off last week.
    Any insights would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Mine was done in a week but that was during the Autumn. Depends on the time of year really , summer being busiest. You can use their letter of acknowledgement that they received your application as proof that you've applied to show perspective employers if that's what you are concerned about. Just write pending on application forms. Don't worry all NQT's will be same , schools will understand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Thanks a million, yeah so far I have written pending on the forms, hopefully it being in earlier than the deadline might speed the process up a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

Redser87 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, yeah so far I have written pending on the forms, hopefully it being in earlier than the deadline might speed the process up a bit :)

Can be a good idea to bring that letter with you to interview. Some schools can get a bit anxious to know that you have the process underway so they know it will be done for when you start in September.

Thanks Magnus, good idea, some of them have asked for it in the ads and I have just sent a copy of my Garda vetting so they know the process has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Can you still be employed by a school in September if it hasn't come through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A school would be foolish to employ someone who doesn't have their registration unless there is a quantifiable delay or a letter of a delay in the process. All nqts should have their stuff sorted by Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

TheDriver wrote: »
    A school would be foolish to employ someone who doesn't have their registration unless there is a quantifiable delay or a letter of a delay in the process. All nqts should have their stuff sorted by Sept.

Well as evidenced on another thread, there can be delays due to results etc for NQTs. In that thread, the OP suffered a chest infection during exam time and had to defer exams til the Autumn. There could also be delays with Garda Vetting form backlogs or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Coggles

magnus500 wrote: »
    Can be a good idea to bring that letter with you to interview. Some schools can get a bit anxious to know that you have the process underway so they know it will be done for when you start in September.

Would there be a big problem if it wasn't sorted come September?

They allowed to employ somebody using the 5 day rule(clause were unqualifieds or unregistered are allowed to be hired for a max of five days where a qualified sub can't be found). Don't know if they are allowed to keep extending the 5 days though.

My registration came through yesterday :)

• Advertisement

Good news redser! Happy job seeking now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonesey80

Hey guys,

Sorry if I have missed this topic else where but I wanted to ask regarding nqt status in England and recognition back in Ireland from 2014.

I obtained my PGCE back in 2008 and have nqt status. I did not go in to it as I could not get a job at the time but it is something I plan to do very soon with having a new subject. I was on to the teaching council about recognition of another subject and my PGCE. They say that I am required to provide a letter/Certificate of QTS from the National College for Teaching and Leadership confirming that you have met the standards of QTS for my PGCE to be recognised. And the lady I spoke with, had no clue what nqt even was.

Does this mean I have to work in the UK to get the QTS status or is it simply the standards that we were assessed during our PGCE year?

Many thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Hi I'm pretty sure my QTS certificate was for completing my PGCE, passing the standards and completing my skills tests in literacy and numeracy! I completed my PGCE in July 2012 and my QTS certificate came through on 5 September 2012! Email the teaching agency in England and ask them to send it out to you. Your teacher reference number will be on it too! Hope that's some help.

Advertisement