Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eye liner flick

Options
  • 13-07-2014 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I love the flick but am rubbish at it. I plan to learn on youtube but I have heard it is all about the product you use. anyone got any recommendations to make learning easier?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For flicks I find a gel + brush or a good felt tip liner gets the most accurate results.

I use the Mac Fluidline gel, with the Mac brush mostly. It doesn't budge and goes easily in my experience. I use the black most, but have had the navy, purple and brown in the past to change things up! Loving the purple at the moment.

I also use Soap and Glory's felt tip liner. It is extremely easy to use, especially for a beginner. The tip doesn't dry up and it stays firm. I keep this in my work make up bag as it's so quick to use, and with the gel you need to have a clean brush every time, not exactly convenient for on the go.

For application, it's just practice! Get used to applying it really close to the lash line, then how thick you go on the edge and the type of flick depends on your style and eye shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Twee. wrote: »
    For flicks I find a gel + brush or a good felt tip liner gets the most accurate results.

I use the Mac Fluidline gel, with the Mac brush mostly. It doesn't budge and goes easily in my experience. I use the black most, but have had the navy, purple and brown in the past to change things up! Loving the purple at the moment.

I also use Soap and Glory's felt tip liner. It is extremely easy to use, especially for a beginner. The tip doesn't dry up and it stays firm. I keep this in my work make up bag as it's so quick to use, and with the gel you need to have a clean brush every time, not exactly convenient for on the go.

For application, it's just practice! Get used to applying it really close to the lash line, then how thick you go on the edge and the type of flick depends on your style and eye shape.

Thank you for that. I was pretty successful at applying it this morning! It was one of the rimmel markers but now I am in work it already looks flaky so I will deffo try the soap and glory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Rimmel Exaggerate is the best IMO. Its' brush is almost solid so it doesn't go all floppy like your normal brush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AnotherRebel

The new Benefit push up gel liner pen is a no-brainer, you should check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I love Maybelline's gel liner and find a bit of tape or a post-it helps loads with getting the angle right

Blog post on tape (and other) tricks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I'd also recommend Rimmel's Exaggerate liner... The brush is smooth and goes on easily. For added help; draw an outline of the shape that you want and then fill it in.
    The only let down of this liner is that it does need to be topped up during the day.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinseldreamz

I got a Catrice liquid eyeliner pen lately and find it very easy to do a flick with. I think pens are easiest because they're stiffer than usual liquid eyeliners so you have more control and they're not as wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I took the plunge with the mac gel liner. Jesus they can sell in there! I might get the catrice one too for handbag. Once I commit to it I am sure I will get it right! Thank you guys x

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Hi its hard to explain but il do my best..

Always start with the flick and not the line across the eye. Use and angled eye liner brush. Get the eye liner gel thinly on ur brush and then from the outer corner of your eye angle the brush to what way you want ur flick to be and using the very tip of the brush literally press it but not too hard or it will smudge , by now you will have a small line going upwards from the outer corner of your eye. Then from about the middle of you eye lid mark a line up to the top of your flick and then it is just a matter of filling in. From what iv heard read you just purchased the perfect items to help you achieve this look. Although I found that the mac gel liner was very small so I changed to the Inglot gel eyeliner which is cheaper and has much more product!
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

AshF22 wrote: »
    Hi its hard to explain but il do my best..

Always start with the flick and not the line across the eye. Use and angled eye liner brush. Get the eye liner gel thinly on ur brush and then from the outer corner of your eye angle the brush to what way you want ur flick to be and using the very tip of the brush literally press it but not too hard or it will smudge , by now you will have a small line going upwards from the outer corner of your eye. Then from about the middle of you eye lid mark a line up to the top of your flick and then it is just a matter of filling in. From what iv heard read you just purchased the perfect items to help you achieve this look. Although I found that the mac gel liner was very small so I changed to the Inglot gel eyeliner which is cheaper and has much more product!
    Hope this helps :)

I keep forgetting to start with the flick .. that's where I was going wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cossiem0d0

I totally agree with the recommendation for the new Benefit 'They're Real' gel liner - I got it at the weekend and it's just so easy to use!

Advertisement