Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on the best place to get ISDN

Options
  • 12-01-2004 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I need some advice about the best service provider to get ISDN from.

I am living in Kildare town and Broadband is not available here yet. I have heard that it won't be here for some time.

I will be working from home one/two days a week and need a fast internet connetion.(yes, I know about Satellite broadband but I don't want to go down that route).

Does anyone have an ISDN line?
    Where is the best place to get it from?
    How much is it going to cost me and where can I get the best rates from?

Also, does anyone with an ISDN line work from home?
    Is it feasible?

Would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me on this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Smurphy

Does anyone have an ISDN line?
    Yes :D

Where is the best place to get it from?
    You can only get it from eircom...

How much is it going to cost me and where can I get the best rates from?
    Installation/connection will cost 119Euro .Then line rental is 75Euro per two month billing period. You will of course need an ISDN modem (about 30Euro). You will then need to sign up with a flat rate anytime package from one of the telcos/ISPs (25-30Euro per month).

Also, does anyone with an ISDN line work from home?
    Is it feasible?
    I work from home two days a week, its just about feasible for the work that I do. So it depends on what work you do that will decide whether it is feasible or not.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

So it depends on what work you do that will decide whether it is feasible or not.

I work on application support for customers. So I would be accessing test machines remotely. I would only be looking to work from home one/two days a week. The other days I would be in the office.

When you contacted Eircom to get ISDN, were you waiting long to then get setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

So I would be accessing test machines remotely.
    I do similar work...

You need to ring eircom to see if there are enough available ISDN ports in your local exchange. If not then they can't provide you with it.

If there are enough ports then you put your order in and it depends on a number of things as to how quickly they can install it for you. Sometimes they may need to do a site survey which will hold things up for you.

My ISDN line was ready for me when I moved into my house, I knew an engineer in eircom who pushed the order through quicker.

All in all, to quickly answer your question, eircom themselves wont even know exactly how long it will take to install ISDN.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

A couple of other things to bear in mind about ISDN. Like ADSL it is dependent on far from the exchange you are. When I was getting it installed a few years back the limit was around 3km, not sure if this has increased since then.

Secondly not all ISP's support dual channel ISDN, so if you want to take full advantage of the available bandwidth you'll need to go with one that does. If your company is paying for all this then it may not be a big issue for you.

M.

Advertisement