Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

How does Fair City do it? :confused: just like...how? :confused:

I mean success despite being utter sh*t :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Mint Aero wrote: »
    How does Fair City do it? :confused: just like...how? :confused:

I mean success despite being utter sh*t :confused:

I actually think Fair City is quite ok. It is certainly the best Irish soap ever done and when there are drug dealers and hard men in it such as Billy Meehan, Paddy Bishop and the like, it is excellent. Sure, some of the actors can be poor while others are very good in their roles (especially, the criminal characters). Like all soaps, there are silly storylines and filler inner stuff but overall FC is actually better than the modern version of Coronation Street more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

'Saving' the late late show? Does Tubbs want it to be 'hacked up' as he would see it? ' Sure it's grand at the moment' . Yes, to me it sure is a set piece of formulaic sequential nonsense but well, I'm not taking it...gugleguy left the audience in happy television land as gaybo used to say a long long time ago. Just to paraphrase the saying Elvis has left the building, even if I say so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I actually think Fair City is quite ok. It is certainly the best Irish soap ever done

*cough* Ros na Rún *cough*

:o:o:o;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Great thread. The answer is it's not too late. Get rid of the Saturday night show and the RTE Canteen guests and it might have a chance. Oh, and Tubridy. Put him in the band or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

This week's figures include the successful four-part showing of Amber. The show ran from Sun-Wed, and all episodes featured in the top 10 (the Sunday episode in last week's figures). For the final two episodes, the show gained 45k viewers per night and, as original as having the four on successive nights is, I wonder would not more interest have built-up had they been shown weekly.

The success of Amber, and continuing popularity of The Voice of Ireland, relegated the Late Late Show to fifth position, with 545k. That figure fits what seemed like the trend of a few weeks ago. The previous two weeks' shows had star attractions in the form of astronaut, Chris Hadfield, and Sherlock villain, Moriarty Andrew Scott, respectively. This week's was less exciting, with rugby-laying brothers, Rob and David Kearney, and Philomena Lee.

I have posted every published top 10 since Nov 17. Inexplicably, for a period during December, they weren't published. I'll list the viewerships of the LLS since I began this tradition: 511k, 537k, 542k, 517k, 643k, 595k, 543k - an average of 555k.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 26 | RTE Aertel

Fair City continues its impressive streak of having had three episodes in the top 10 for five of the last six weeks.

Ratings just in: 565k for a show with Mario Rosenstock and some snob who was on the apprentice. Pretty impressive.

TV Ratings - week ending Jan 26 | RTE Aertel

Saturday Night Show back in the Top 10 for only the third time in the last seven weeks. There viewership looks to have remained static, but that the viewership of others has increased They may be disappointed that, despite the huge media attention surrounding Panti-gate, the resulting formal debate only yielded 475k viewers. Perhaps the disaster that was the Pussy Riot interview caused people to switch off.

Yet again, I am amazed by the Irish Viewer: three Fair Citys, two Opperation Transformations, and a Winning Streak, in the Top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

1623327_644410552260684_1546878151_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

yes

I'm calling an end to my involvement in this thread! Latest ratings are in: for the episode that had David Norris, Samantha Mumba, Eddie Reader, a discussion on the Facebook craze "Neknomination", Lisa Cannon (TV3's Xpose), a Garth Brooks tribute act, and Aled Jones...638 000 viewers!! I just don't understand it!! In my opinion, the LLS is dead, but that hasn't stopped people tuning in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

00085568-630.jpg

Look at Tubridy down the hospital finding guests for the misery slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm calling an end to my involvement in this thread! Latest ratings are in: for the episode that had David Norris, Samantha Mumba, Eddie Reader, a discussion on the Facebook craze "Neknomination", Lisa Cannon (TV3's Xpose), a Garth Brooks tribute act, and Aled Jones...638 000 viewers!! I just don't understand it!! In my opinion, the LLS is dead, but that hasn't stopped people tuning in.

It's a 30 yr habit. It's hard for us to turn it off.

This show was (in the grand scheme of things) one of the better episodes of what has been overall a very poor season so far (only it is a bit better than last year's but only just). Why do people continue to watch it?

-It goes on from 9.30 to nearly 12. For a lot of that period, there is little on elsewhere.
    -The pubs are dead for the most part in many places on a Friday.
    -Relating to the above: cheap drink at home v dearer drink in a pub with no one in it. People stay at home and watch this.
    -There may be one section that is of interest.
    -Habit
    -It may be left on for those who like their installment of G-SOC, Irish Water, banks, etc. at 9.00-9.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

This show was (in the grand scheme of things) one of the better episodes of what has been overall a very poor season so far (only it is a bit better than last year's but only just). Why do people continue to watch it?

-It goes on from 9.30 to nearly 12. For a lot of that period, there is little on elsewhere.
    -The pubs are dead for the most part in many places on a Friday.
    -Relating to the above: cheap drink at home v dearer drink in a pub with no one in it. People stay at home and watch this.
    -There may be one section that is of interest.
    -Habit
    -It may be left on for those who like their installment of G-SOC, Irish Water, banks, etc. at 9.00-9.30
    !

This is your own personal opinion.

I doubt it's true (as a viewer) and I think you do me, and the LLS thread posters, an injustice by "liking" me/us to the above.

Lazy presumptions.

Maybe we just like the program and you can't just "get" the fact that it is a hugely popular program that generates a very popular thread?

We all have criticisms of the program regarding the guests/misery sections but it still is commanding the viewers.

02:30 AM .indo_survey>.wrap{position:inherit; background:#FFFFFF; display:block;} RYAN Tubridy has a new motto. No more Mr Nice Guy. First, he told a listener that he felt like breaking his legs. That's a big step up for Tubs – the harshest thing he had said on air up to that was cheerio.

But last week he took it to a new level. His radio show is running a Miss Personality Show. A previous version of Ryan might have called it Miz Personality, but all that politically correct stuff is in the past.

10400809_682647771770295_1291185082067224475_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

To gives Tubs his dues, he does play a blinder on the Toy Show, instead of being uncomfortable with kids (Pat) or condecending/patronising (Gaybo).

He's mediocre-to-poor the rest of the year. He should stick to (very) light entertainment or kids' shows!
    Tubridy is an overgrown child so that explains everything you said :)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Tubridy is an overgrown child so that explains everything you said :)

Tubridy is most suited to children's TV if truth be known. He seems obsessed with babies and children, with him asking almost every guest about it. He excels on the Toy Show because that's his area.

Tubridy is most suited to children's TV if truth be known. He seems obsessed with babies and children, with him asking almost every guest about it. He excels on the Toy Show because that's his area.
    And so it happened again on Friday night, when Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were being interviewed by Tubbins.Alarm bells went off last Wednesday when their appearance on the show was announced-the two big guests would be showing up on The Graham Norton Show AND the Late Late Show,all on the same night.This has happened before and the result has been catastrophic.Tom Cruise ended up playing a kids’ electronic wire loop game with Graham.A week before, Tom ended up looking a little loop-the-loop when he appeared on Ryan’s show.This week, Jonah and Channing flirted outrageously with Julie Andrews on Graham’s show.While on the same night,because of the magic of telly,Ryan Tubridy got a bit flustered because of some missing socks.The two Hollywood stars obviously picked up on Ryan being uncomfortable and Jonah made it very uncomfortable for the whole nation.Now to be honest, I think it was mean that Jonah Hill asked Ryan three times if he was nervous.It was mean and undermining.It was a moment that we will all want to forget.I’ve heard that the Late Late Show complain that they don’t get the big guests.But when they do,it seems the host just can’t cope

Birthday Boy enjoying his pressies...
    10352769_684656614902744_7399492082814211751_n.jpg

He excels on the Toy Show because that's his area...

I thought Tubridy did quite well for the most recent Toy Show, but can remember multiple cringe-moments from previous years. Therefore, I think it's rather kind to say that he "excels" in children's TV. He needs to be told that kids do not understand sarcasm, and should stick with goofy - something I'm sure he'd manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

ghiertal wrote: »
    And so it happened again on Friday night, when Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were being interviewed by Tubbins.Alarm bells went off last Wednesday when their appearance on the show was announced-the two big guests would be showing up on The Graham Norton Show AND the Late Late Show,all on the same night.This has happened before and the result has been catastrophic.Tom Cruise ended up playing a kids’ electronic wire loop game with Graham.A week before, Tom ended up looking a little loop-the-loop when he appeared on Ryan’s show.This week, Jonah and Channing flirted outrageously with Julie Andrews on Graham’s show.While on the same night,because of the magic of telly,Ryan Tubridy got a bit flustered because of some missing socks.The two Hollywood stars obviously picked up on Ryan being uncomfortable and Jonah made it very uncomfortable for the whole nation.Now to be honest, I think it was mean that Jonah Hill asked Ryan three times if he was nervous.It was mean and undermining.It was a moment that we will all want to forget.I’ve heard that the Late Late Show complain that they don’t get the big guests.But when they do,it seems the host just can’t cope

It got a laugh and he was merely pointing out something that was fairly obvious, and is really sort of obvious just about every time your typical 'Hollywood star' comes on the show. You can't really undermine the host's authority when he doesn't have much to begin with.

The difference between the likes of Norton and the Late Late is that with Norton, he's pretty at ease, he's pretty game, the audience is game and the (slightly drunk) celebrities are usually game. With the Late Late, it's more like these big guests, they have deigned to appear on the show (probably true) and you just end up with this quite sterile, predictable, sycophantic interview, usually.

briany wrote: »
    It got a laugh and he was merely pointing out something that was fairly obvious, and is really sort of obvious just about every time your typical 'Hollywood star' comes on the show. You can't really undermine the host's authority when he doesn't have much to begin with.

The difference between the likes of Norton and the Late Late is that with Norton, he's pretty at ease, he's pretty game, the audience is game and the (slightly drunk) celebrities are usually game. With the Late Late, it's more like these big guests, they have deigned to appear on the show (probably true) and you just end up with this quite sterile, predictable, sycophantic interview, usually.

Does anyone else on here really dislike Graham Norton's show? I find it false and him sycophantic. The fees received by Norton dwarfs the fees paid to RTE's top earners with recent figures showing that Ryan Tubridy is the best paid at €495,000 per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have never understood the Late Late Show. It has always been and is an embarrassment to me as an Irish person if you compare it to the UK and US talk shows. Fair enough that we don't get A-list guests but can they not even attempt to get a competent presenter? Even watching the toy show as a kid, I was perplexed at what was unfolding in front of me. I never understood our nations acceptance of this utter blandness. Don't get me started on that Jonah Hill interview. People defending Tubirty by saying "He's trying his best" is telling enough.

The fees received by Norton dwarfs the fees paid to RTE's top earners with recent figures showing that Ryan Tubridy is the best paid at €495,000 per annum.

Norton earns around €2.8m (approx six times Tubs's salary). Below is the list of international broadcasts of The Graham Norton show (source: Wikipedia):

In the United States, starting 11 April 2013, cable/satellite/FIOS (fiber optic) channel BBC America aired new episodes Thursdays at 10 pm ET, six days after the BBC broadcast.[2] It currently airs every Saturday night on BBC America.[1]

In Canada, cable channel BBC Canada broadcasts the show Friday nights at 9:00 pm Eastern Time Zone.

In Ireland, the show is broadcast on TV3 one day after the BBC broadcast, on Saturdays at 9 pm.

In Brazil, the show is broadcast by VH1 Brasil and BBC HD once a week.

In Australia, the current series is broadcast on Network Ten on Sunday nights at 9:30pm.[3][4] Additionally, for Pay TV viewers (Foxtel and Austar), it airs on UKTV at 9.30pm Mondays, with repeats at both 3.30am Tuesdays and 9.15pm Saturdays, Formerly aired on ABC2 on Thursday nights in 2007 till 2012.

In New Zealand, the show was originally broadcast on UKTV. Since the commencement of screening Series 11 on 4 May 2012, the show has been broadcast on TV3 at 8:30pm on Friday nights.

In South Africa, BBC Entertainment began broadcasting the show with series 6 on 30 July 2010 at 21:30 replacing Friday Night with Jonathan Ross when it ended its run.

In Norway, the show is broadcast by TVNorge and FEM once a week.

In Scandinavia, the show is broadcast by BBC Entertainment with a new episode every Tuesday.

In Hong Kong, the show is broadcast by Now TV on BBC Entertainment every Saturday night.

In the Netherlands, the show is broadcast by Comedy Central Netherlands every Friday and Saturday night and on Humor TV 24 a digital channel from the Dutch public broadcaster VARA.

In Germany, the show is broadcast by Comedy Central Germany every Friday and Saturday night, starting on 6 July 2012.[5]

In Belgium, the show is broadcast by Acht once a week.

In Mexico, the show is broadcast by BBC Entertainment once a week.

In Singapore, the show is broadcast by BBC Entertainment once a week.

In Argentina, the show is broadcast by BBC HD every night at 11 pm.

LLS has none. Does that explain the disparity in salary?

Does anyone else on here really dislike Graham Norton's show? I find it false and him sycophantic. The fees received by Norton dwarfs the fees paid to RTE's top earners with recent figures showing that Ryan Tubridy is the best paid at €495,000 per annum.

Well the whole talk show construct is a bit false and sycophantic because the host basically has to pretend to like every guest that comes on, and every guest has to pretend that they enjoy being there. At least with Norton you'd get a bit of fun and unpredictability, and he keeps it light, as a Friday night chat show should.

Fun and entertainment don't really go alongside the heavier gloomy subjects that the LLS tries to shoehorn in. The only reason that used to work was because there was a time that the LLS was the show, but it is now only a show, and it should work more towards filling the niche it's supposed to occupy.

Well the whole talk show construct is a bit false and sycophantic because the host basically has to pretend to like every guest that comes on, and every guest has to pretend that they enjoy being there. At least with Norton you'd get a bit of fun and unpredictability, and he keeps it light, as a Friday night chat show should.

Fun and entertainment don't really go alongside the heavier gloomy subjects that the LLS tries to shoehorn in. The only reason that used to work was because there was a time that the LLS was the show, but it is now only a show, and it should work more towards filling the niche it's supposed to occupy.

The LLS is a mix of too many different things. One minute, you have the latest boyband and next minute you have someone diagnosed with cancer who was medically neglected and got a wrong diagnosis at the start for example. Then, it may be some actor no one has even heard of. Then it may be someone who wrote a book. Then, it may be yet another Bill Cullen or Twink interview.

Year in year out, the same faces, the same type of stories, the same mix of airhead interviews with celebs and depressing interviews dealing with cancer, motor neurone, mortgages, poor bank behaviour, rape, etc. Tubridy can't handle the latter much at all!

Now, is LLS/Tubridy Show entertainment or a more serious show? It seems to have a split personality and does neither very well. In the past, Gaybo seemed to be able to blend the entertaining with the controversial very well. But he had the guests and the material. Now, the most exciting it gets is Enda Kenny being grilled or Louis Walsh showcasing his latest act.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have never understood the Late Late Show. It has always been and is an embarrassment to me as an Irish person if you compare it to the UK and US talk shows. Fair enough that we don't get A-list guests but can they not even attempt to get a competent presenter? Even watching the toy show as a kid, I was perplexed at what was unfolding in front of me. I never understood our nations acceptance of this utter blandness. Don't get me started on that Jonah Hill interview. People defending Tubirty by saying "He's trying his best" is telling enough.

It could be something to do with the LLS's conservative audience. They have been watching the show for decades and are just used to the same rubbish every week.

I also think a lot of people watch it so they can enter the competition. If that was ended, I think the show would lose a big junk of its audience (and I think the LLS know that and that's why the prizes are usually very good).

Tubridy is a brutal presenter, always has been. But he's male, middle class, from South Dublin, straight, Catholic, white, Fianna Failer, establishment person etc an all round RTE presenter that keeps the conservative audience happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I can appreciate that I am not their target audience

The LLS is a mix of too many different things. One minute, you have the latest boyband and next minute you have someone diagnosed with cancer who was medically neglected and got a wrong diagnosis at the start for example. Then, it may be some actor no one has even heard of. Then it may be someone who wrote a book. Then, it may be yet another Bill Cullen or Twink interview.

Year in year out, the same faces, the same type of stories, the same mix of airhead interviews with celebs and depressing interviews dealing with cancer, motor neurone, mortgages, poor bank behaviour, rape, etc. Tubridy can't handle the latter much at all!

Now, is LLS/Tubridy Show entertainment or a more serious show? It seems to have a split personality and does neither very well. In the past, Gaybo seemed to be able to blend the entertaining with the controversial very well. But he had the guests and the material. Now, the most exciting it gets is Enda Kenny being grilled or Louis Walsh showcasing his latest act.

Gay Byrne had the good fortune of hosting the show for thirty years during a period of tremendous change in Irish social attitudes as well.

I think the tradtional talk show is dead, really. It gets to the point where you wonder what you can see on there that you can't see elsewhere. I think the traditional form will eventually go the way of TotP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gay Byrne had the good fortune of hosting the show for thirty years during a period of tremendous change in Irish social attitudes as well.

I think the tradtional talk show is dead, really. It gets to the point where you wonder what you can see on there that you can't see elsewhere. I think the traditional form will eventually go the way of TotP.

Even by the late 90s while Gaybo was still there, the LLS had passed it's sell by the date. Gaybo himself looked bored and fed up by the end.

The embarrassing thing about Tubridy and the LLS is when it tries to be hip and modern and time after time, it backfires. The Jonah Hill bit being the latest example. It's become a complete cringe fest at this stage. Tubridy seems to provoke the guests into revealing more misery and deliberately tries to upset them.

I also think the only reason people want to go to the LLS is for the prize. They constantly struggle to get people for the Saturday Night Show because they don't give the audience a prize.

Advertisement