Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Assurance declined what next?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey,

I am over my BMI which in turn i have been refused Life Assurance anyone have any ideas on where would take me on considering?

Bummer

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

To be refused outright based on BMI is unusual enough, each company will have different under writing levels they adhere to. Best bet is to speak to a broker who can apply to a range of companies.

Another company may offer you cover with a 'loading' (an extra charge based on the increased risk due).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is unusual alright. Your BMI must be very high or are there additional risk factors also?

Did you apply for life cover for a mortgage?

You may be able to sign a waiver with the bank that you have been declined life cover in order that you can still proceed with the mortgage.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I agree with the previous posters, when I applied for my mortgage I was really overweight, so my BMI was quite high, however it just meant my policy was slightly more expensive. I was sent for a medical, which came back clear. Other than being overweight, I was in good health, so they gave me cover. OP were you sent for a medical, or were you just outrightly declined because of your BMI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Andymfinancial

it is unusual to be refused for BMI but you should try several companies, i had a case where a girl was refused cover because she was 5ft 5 and 19 stone but Irish life accepted it with a loading, also once a policy is issued if your bmi comes down it is worth re applying and you may get it on standard rates. Different companies vary massively on underwriting, protection is the biggest part of my business and in my experience irish life would be my 1st choice due to their underwriting criteria. Also Irish life will sometimes negotiate with the broker to reduce a loading. Caledonian Life & New Ireland would also be fairly good on underwriting.

Finally i believe a mortgage cannot be refused just because you have been refused life cover??

Advertisement