Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mythbusters Reboot

• 23-08-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭

The show is getting a makeover, starting with a return to just the original two presenters. Kari, Tori and Grant have been let go. There's a video announcement on the Discovery website here.

Personally, I'd welcome a more back to basics show, I thought they went way overboard on the guns and explosions. :o

edit: this is how I'll remember Kari: summer dress, sunglasses ... big boots ... firing a Minigun.

50b157c98ee613e0d2b5eb24cf944c65.jpg

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The 3 that have been let go always annoyed the hell out of me with their over the top fake excitement. I might start watching it again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i read somewhere that next season is the last anyway so they just cut back to squease one last season out of it, which is strange if they were trying to save money why spend it on the extra animations in the show this year (the tilt shift/model shots).

adam and jaime had been talking about getting to show more of the process, well if they stopped theyre editing tactics repeatedly recapping everything they do before and after breaks they'd have more time.

after ten years its about time they moved on

didn't think this season was particularily good, a number of boring eps, attraction, seat plane filling, traffic jams etc

last years season was the best in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

i read somewhere that next season is the last anyway so they just cut back to squease one last season out of it, which is strange if they were trying to save money why spend it on the extra animations in the show this year (the the tilt shift/model shots).

adam and jaime had been talking about getting to show more of the process, well if they stopped theyre editing tactics repeatedly recapping everything they do before and after breaks they'd have more time.

didn't think this season was particularily good, a number of boring eps, attraction, seat plane filling, traffic jams etc

Laws of Attraction was good, rest of season has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

i read somewhere that next season is the last anyway so they just cut back to squease one last season out of it, which is strange if they were trying to save money why spend it on the extra animations in the show this year (the the tilt shift/model shots).

This is what I miss most about the earlier seasons and what got me interested from the start. The actual process of the build, the problems they found and the solutions they come up with is what really showed their skills. The dumbing down over the last 4 or 5 series, I think, ruined it. That and the constant recapping, the animations, false excitement, cheesy intro's and needless explosions.
    I'm looking forward to what the new series looks like even if it is the last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

lertsnim wrote: »
    The 3 that have been let go always annoyed the hell out of me with their over the top fake excitement. I might start watching it again now.

Karis fine as ****, the other 2 may leave tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I stopped watching a few seasons ago for the reasons already mentioned here. The Faux excitement from the 3 nobodies, especially the jumping around screaming at every explosion even if its just the lid popping off a bottle or something, also their horribly acted intros is really off-putting. I never liked them.

The previews and recaps are ridiculous though, a couple of seasons ago they just started showing what was going to happen, you felt like you'd already seen it 7 times by the time they got around to doing it, why do American shows do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

It seems to be the way with American factual shows. They start out grand, get popular, and then all the "drama" or scripting or both has to be introduced after the first series or two. Ax Men is a prime example of an interesting show that got bastrrdised thanks to the usual American "reality" rubbish.

Yeah, all the Gold Rush/Deadliest Catch type programmes were some of the best things on tv when it was just them doing the jobs, then the minute they get a sniff of success subsequent seasons are all totally fake and riddled with faux-drama, and the original people arent good enough actors to pull it off so you're just left cringing at it then giving up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, the season starts tonight at 9PM on Discovery (where else), with a Simpsons-themes episode. D'oh ..?

— Kingsley Amis

The 2nd episode tackles Indiana Jones myths, including one I've always wondered about: does a whip crack really break the speed of sound?
    Yes - they caught the tip on high speed camera going 1,200 ft/sec (about Mach 1.08)

I get the impression, so far, that Adam & Jamie are looking to return to the movie effects business, and this series will be their showreel. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

its over, good season

its over, good season
    And that wasn't the last season ... but the new one is: it starts here on 27 January. I expect they'll go out with a bang ...

— Kingsley Amis

they had an ep 00 preview ep, started to watch it kinda spoils the rest of the season

They rebooted it for just 2 seasons? I stopped watching it years ago, the constant repetition, spoilers, previews and dragging everything out drove me mental.

Adam's got a fairly detailed post up at Tested about one of the big experiments in this series, including a video of the result. Don't watch it if you prefer to remain unspoiled.

The first episode, this Wednesday, is a "making of" show, about all the stuff that goes on behind the camera. Don't be alarmed if you hear Australian accents: the show is produced the same people who made Beyond 2000 all those years ago. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

last season just started on discovery (WED at 21:00) , really good episode an explosives special ,
    they got some great cameras, drones, electronics and myths.
    lot better without the 3 kids and the annoying things seem to have been largely taken out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thargor wrote: »
    They rebooted it for just 2 seasons? I stopped watching it years ago, the constant repetition, spoilers, previews and dragging everything out drove me mental.

Tha'ts true of all the discovery (and history ch) programmes. I can't watch any of them any more because of this. Its 20 mins of content stretched to an hour.

If you find the Mythbusters took too long to bust each myth, there's hope for you: Mythbusters for the Impatient:

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement