Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you KNOW that god exists???

Options
  • 15-12-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Many relgious believers I have encountered claim to know that god exists. I have also known many who feel that they have a very strong belief, and practice their religion as often as those who claim to know that god exists, but do not go as far as to say that they know for certain. Which category do you fit into, and why do you places yourself there?

Do you claim to know that god exists 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

TheThing! wrote: »
    Many relgious believers I have encountered claim to know that god exists. I have also known many who feel that they have a very strong belief, and practice their religion as often as those who claim to know that god exists, but do not go as far as to say that they know for certain. Which category do you fit into, and why do you places yourself there?

Christianity is a set of religious beliefs. As a belief is not tangible, and is subjective, it can't be proved or disproved either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Subjectively - Yes. I've never not believed in God, even if I have ignored him in the past.

Empirically - No

::Edit::

As I don't think the poll covers the reality of belief (at lest for me), I don't think I can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

TheThing! wrote: »

To know anything at all is an interesting concept. We assume we understand what 'to know' means. What is it? If I say “yes I know God exists”, then what is the I in my sentence? And what is God? And what is existence? Can we break these down into more malleable particles?

1. I or the I, or the self. Who am I? I've just finished a brilliant little book entitled "Why religion Matters" by Huston Smith and that is the question he leaves us with? Who am I? or Who are we? As Michael Moore puts it in his new Movie/Documentary "Sicko" The essences of selfness is probably as difficult to define as the concept of God. But lets just take for granted that it is me.

2. God. All powerful being separate from the created Universe. How? Can that be known?

3. Existence? What is it? What if it were all a dream? What if we're all a potato dreaming it was a Man? When broken down to its basic elements what is reality? To proceed with your questions you must agree that we take a lot of things for granted. So with that little excursion over I'll attempt to answer.

Ok so to speak from a frame of reference that one could understand? Do I know God exists? Well I think I know God exists. Does that mean I know it? You're guess is a good as mine. And if it does then does that mean that God really does exist? Again your guess is a good as mine. Who is the ultimate judge in all these matters? Who is it that determines the truth of these things? Who can say I'm right or wrong? And how did they get this position?

I truly believe that God is and that He is looking for faith in His Word. There's a multitude of reasons why I believe this but they only pertain to me on a personal level as it is the I that has had the personally experience of God opening Himself to me so that I can believe He exists. Why doesn't He do that for everyone? I really don't know, I believe He could but He chooses not to for some reason known only to Him. And if He is all wise then I'm sure when all is said and done it will become clear as to why He does these things, but then maybe not, if He chooses to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Knowledge requires no act of self giving. Belief does. And the self giving of oneself allows for a relationship with God. That unknown element also allows us to reason about God. Reasoning is a function that only humans have and so must form part of the point of there being humans (as opposed to an individuals point of being alive).

Ive forgotten where I was going with this.

Advertisement