Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey Squirrels in Offaly

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen a grey Squirrel in years until today! I moved from Westmeath to Offaly about a year ago, and thought they were non- existant in the Midlands the last couple years!

Do you think there are pockets of them in certain area's, or are they making a come back?

Anyone trapping them?

The place I saw this lad cross the road, has plenty of Pine Marten as well, so wonder is their any truth in Martens wiping out Grey squirrels theory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/pine-martens-making-comeback-in-ireland-and-grey-squirrel-is-their-favourite-meal-28999494.html

According to this the greys are favourite meal of pine marten.
    With the red squirrels being more difficult to catch the martens find it easier to take greys instead.
    Good enough for them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

One swallow does not make a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

One swallow does not make a summer.

Where there is one ( tree) rat, there is always more!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I believe the River Shannon is the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thehound

would rather see a gray squirrel than dead pheasants anyway due to pinemartin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Eddie B wrote: »
    Where there is one ( tree) rat, there is always more!:p

Hopefully not to many more. The fact you have seen any in years would seem that the population is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Hopefully not to many more. The fact you have seen any in years would seem that the population is small.

Yea that's what got me curious! I now live about twenty kilometres away from where I lived previously, and the squirrels just aren't there anymore!

I don't know the land around here, so I don't hunt the area, and so had no idea there was squirrels present! Maybe your right, and there's only the odd one here and there, or maybe there's a good population!

Either way, i was surprised to see one!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

In cavan I haven't seen a Grey squirrel in years but have recently noticed more red squirrels and pine martens.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

I'm in Offaly too and haven't seen a grey in years

Advertisement