Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

air rifles

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Just as a bit of interest, who here only uses air rifles for hunting/target shooting?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

amjc1974 wrote: »
    Just as a bit of interest, who here only uses air rifles for hunting/target shooting?.

Not solely but predominantly air rifle for hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

not sure where there any place to target shoot. i hunt a lot with an air rifle. mainley
    magpies and grey crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

Should also of added pcp or springer?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

pcp. air arms s410 extra fac side lever adj. power.

Should also of added pcp or springer?

PCP, Air Arms S510 XTRA Carbine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

HW100S wrote: »
    Not solely but predominantly air rifle for hunting.

+1

Pcp as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

I've got a few vintage BSA's,Webley's & HW55T that I shoot paper with, and a classic '66 Sheridan for hunting small critters on the farm! All great fun to use, especially my 1906 BSA underlever that puts pellets through the same hole at 25 yards....

I currently have a springer and am thinking of going down the pcp route. I dont want to spend a fortune on one so ive been looking at bsa or webley...any recommendations?

I currently have a springer and am thinking of going down the pcp route. I dont want to spend a fortune on one so ive been looking at bsa or webley...any recommendations?

I had a Webley Raider, excellent PCP. Extremely accurate, retailing about €500.
    It was outputting 20-22ft -lbs. I could comfortably drop rabbits cold at 40-50 meters and was getting 30 usable shots per fill. It was a robust gun that could take abuse.
    The action is good and the feed system is robust, I never had any issues with it. Great little PCP but forget about taking free standing shots, its just too heavy. Excellent off a bipod tho. Pretty quiet when paired with a SAK mod.

The AA 510 is just in a different class. Beautiful walnut stock, much lighter than the webley allowing for free standing shooting. The side lever is a joy, super smooth. Its outputting 30 ft-lbs with approx 30 shots per fill in the carbine version. When paired with AA own moderator all one can hear is the hammer spring - its super quiet.
    Its a great gun but would need to be at almost twice the preice of the webley.

To sum up, the Webley shoots just as accurately as the AA, but the AA is in a different league in terms of finish, looks, trigger & action. You wont be disappointed with the Webley but you will love the AA.

I looked at the BSA scorpion also. It has a lovely stock and feels very comfortable. Personally I didn't like the magazine and cocking system so decided against it. The side lever of the AA is just brilliant, effortless.
    Hope this helps.

I had a Webley Raider, excellent PCP. Extremely accurate, retailing about €500.
    It was outputting 20-22ft -lbs. I could comfortably drop rabbits cold at 40-50 meters and was getting 30 usable shots per fill. It was a robust gun that could take abuse.
    The action is good and the feed system is robust, I never had any issues with it. Great little PCP but forget about taking free standing shots, its just too heavy. Excellent off a bipod tho. Pretty quiet when paired with a SAK mod.

The AA 510 is just in a different class. Beautiful walnut stock, much lighter than the webley allowing for free standing shooting. The side lever is a joy, super smooth. Its outputting 30 ft-lbs with approx 30 shots per fill in the carbine version. When paired with AA own moderator all one can hear is the hammer spring - its super quiet.
    Its a great gun but would need to be at almost twice the price of the webley.

To sum up, the Webley shoots just as accurately as the AA, but the AA is in a different league in terms of finish, looks, trigger & action. You wont be disappointed with the Webley but you will love the AA.

I looked at the BSA scorpion also. It has a lovely stock and feels very comfortable. Personally I didn't like the magazine and cocking system so decided against it. The side lever of the AA is just brilliant, effortless.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Use a HW100 for fieldwork on rabbits, and an old Feinwerkbau 603 for 10m Olympic (club rifle).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Walther LG400 for 10m Olympic shooting, bought to replace the Anschutz 2002CA I've used for the last decade-and-a-bit. Though I've not had a chance to shoot it in competition yet. But soon... very soon... :D

Sparks wrote: »

Walther LG400 for 10m Olympic shooting, bought to replace the Anschutz 2002CA I've used for the last decade-and-a-bit. Though I've not had a chance to shoot it in competition yet. But soon... very soon... :D

Nice piece of kit there..

Advertisement