Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venomous spiders in Ireland?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I'm afraid that sounds very much like flea bites for 2 double reasons. 1. Bites around d the ankles are a sure sign of fleas. 2. Research has shown that most so-called spider bites in bed has found them to be flea bites. Spider bites are actually extremely uncommon.

Interesting! I have never heard of spider bites in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Interesting! I have never hear of spider bites in this country.

That's why! They are very uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I'm afraid that sounds very much like flea bites for 2 double reasons. 1. Bites around d the ankles are a sure sign of fleas. 2. Research has shown that most so-called spider bites in bed has found them to be flea bites. Spider bites are actually extremely uncommon.

Agreed; Spiders might occasionally bite when hassled or cornered. They have no reason to bite more than once; they get no food from the bite. Spider bites are very uncommon here and are just one-off freak events. The spider running from the bed was a co-incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

can anyone identify this spider I found the other morning... it leaped from the bed before I could catch it and has not been seen since

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I am very very rusty and it is hard to see that one clearly but there are a pile of spiders from Clubionidae including Clubiona (google pictures to see examples) that look like that. They are not normally house spiders and just come in from gardens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement