Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loading a caravan

Options
  • 26-02-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all
    i am looking at building a food trailer from a caravan.. there are lots of cool ideas out there for kiting one out really funky and efficient

question is how much weight can i pack in a 4/5 berth caravan on a single axle? should i go double axle if i want to stick catering fryers, fridges and whats not?

pulling the caravan wont be that much of an issue as i have power for that but would the axle take a few pieces of catering equipment, stainless steel flooring and white rock walls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The caravan will have a plate listing the max weight it can carry and the max weight for the hitch and alxe(s).

Pulling will be an issue if you don't have an EB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The payload allowed for in the design of caravans is frightfully small.

Outs is 1200kg empty with a DGVW of 1450kg.
    Now the 1200kg includes cooker, fridge and all fixings.

And an EB isn't always required.
    Ours for example with a DGVW of 1450kg can be pulled with a regular license say by a vehicle with a DGVW of 2000kg. This would give a combined DGVW of just 3450kg and a regular B license covers for up to 3500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

You need one of these
    trailer.png

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭zamo27

wow db now you're making me jealous
    so brian can this be done in your opinion
    stip a 4/5 berth caravan put 3 fryers a grill pan and some flooring and white rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Think you'd nearly be better with a different base - e.g. a cattle box or horsebox. They are made for big weights, so you have steel floors and walls, not plywood.

On a similar point, with big weight you'd be better off with twin axle - having the equivalent of an ultra heavy caravan on a single axle wagging behind you could be nightmareish.

I know the look of a cattle box might not set your heart a-flutter, but sure you'll be 'pimping' it out anyway, relatively easy attach 'non-structural' panels to the outside, but at least the chassis and structure of the yoke would be fit for purpose - safety first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Donedeal has loads of catering trailers for sale which are about the price of a caravan without the need to completely strip and fit out.

zamo27 wrote: »
    wow db now you're making me jealous
    so brian can this be done in your opinion
    stip a 4/5 berth caravan put 3 fryers a grill pan and some flooring and white rock?

IIRC catering requires stainless steel for most surfaces.

Advertisement