Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC Victim Blaming.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

OMG.. was this translated or did he actually say these words?

I cannot beleive that this organisation and the people who follow it still do not get it....

How could anyone who has supposed 'christian' beleifs, actually not beleive that the perpetrators of sexual abuse should not be jailed the first time they are caught? Crazy crazy and the whole of the catholic church is INFECTED with this type of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It sounds like a terrible version of mental gymnastics, like his mind cannot come to terms with the notion that supposed Holy men could be responsible for such things. A very sad way to be indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Disgusting but not all that surprising. We've heard similar from apologists in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It's not translated, it's what he actually said. I am rarely speechless, but I read this, reread it and just sat there, astounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His apology:
    I apologize for my comments. I did not intend to blame the victim. A priest (or anyone else) who abuses a minor is always wrong and is always responsible. My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they used to be. I have spent my life trying to help others the best that I could. I deeply regret any harm I have caused to anyone.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/father-benedict-groeschel-reflects-on-25-years-of-the-franciscan-friars-of#ixzz256q455Qs

Now, I'm sorry, but "My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they used to be."?
    A lot of the cases, the youngster — 14, 16, 18 — is the seducer.

Well, it's not so hard to see — a kid looking for a father and didn't have his own — and they won't be planning to get into heavy-duty sex, but almost romantic, embracing, kissing, perhaps sleeping but not having intercourse or anything like that.

There's 'being so old you mix up words and can't express yourself clearly', and then there's this asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

so he apologises for the victim blaming, but not of the part where he reckons that "first time abusers should be given a second chance"?

scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    so he apologises for the victim blaming, but not of the part where he reckons that "first time abusers should be given a second chance"?

scum.
    Here's this poor guy — [Penn State football coach Jerry] Sandusky — it went on for years.

Here's this poor guy... (guy who was raping kids)... it went on for years.

This poor guy (kiddie f*cker)... went on for years.

This poor guy... raping kids... went on for years.

Yeah, poor Jerry Sandusky. All those attractive kids seducing him. Not for full intercourse, but probably just romantic, embracing, kissing, perhaps sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well, Father Benedict has a point. I teach teenagers, and I'm telling you, they are forever throwing themselves at the teachers, embracing us and kissing us. Especially when we're feeling blue, or having a nervous breakdown. It gets to be quite a nuisance.

Of course, I have the advantage that I teach co-ed, so we get a choice, male or female. Sure the poor old priests in Ireland are stuck in single-sex schools and institutions, so what choice do they have? They have to go for a young fella. I feel sorry for them, in a way. We must remember the mystery of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

pauldla wrote: »
    Well, Father Benedict has a point. I teach teenagers, and I'm telling you, they are forever throwing themselves at the teachers, embracing us and kissing us. Especially when we're feeling blue, or having a nervous breakdown. It gets to be quite a nuisance.

Of course, I have the advantage that I teach co-ed, so we get a choice, male or female. Sure the poor old priests in Ireland are stuck in single-sex schools and institutions, so what choice do they have? They have to go for a young fella. I feel sorry for them, in a way. We must remember the mystery of faith.

Was this an attempt at sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The answer to that question is always yes, if you think it might be no then you just don't get the joke.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I loved a few weeks ago when a "devout" Catholic was giving out about Rick Santorum and I pointed out that what he was saying was extremely tame compared to what a Catholic in Ireland apparently believes. Turns out people don't like when you point out their hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This week we've had our own magnificient Irish blooper along the same lines.

"Bishop: I thought paedophilia was 'friendship that crossed a boundary line'"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bishop-i-thought-paedophilia-was-friendship-that-crossed-a-boundary-line-565803.html

Really? Really?

Physically molesting children, engaging in underage sex was simply getting "a little too friendly" with them? Even if it was the 60's and 70's I can't believe that any educated person could be that devoid of a sense of right and wrong.

I can't believe that's what he offers as his reasoning for his actions. In his shoes, I'd be embarrassed to say that. I'd prefer to say, "I have no excuse, what I did was wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Church love pretending to be a victim nowadays. They don't like legitimate competition.

Advertisement