Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on acne treatment

Options
  • 19-12-2014 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Hi, so I am a teenager and have had mild acne for about 2 years now. Its usually red pimples that occasionally can grow really big and there's a few bit of blackheads but not too many. It's been like this for a while, and I guess my parents have gotten a bit tired of it at this stage which I understand, so my dad talked to a dermatologist and i'm now going to begin a treatment with roaccutane. I'm a bit scared of this because it has many common side effects such as dryness and eczema and it says to avoid sunlight.

My question is are the side effects common to everyone, like is there a high chance of these side effects on me. Also what products would you recommend for the dryness. Currently I am using a nice foaming face wash, a night gel, and a weekly mask for my acne. Should I continue with this or would you recommend any other products. Also I used to have eczema as a baby, so is there a decent chance it could come back now with roaccutane.

And last of all, how seriously should i avoid sunlight, like I doubt any Irish weather would affect me, especially through the coming months. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

There is a chance your eczema will come back to you along with dryness so make sure your using a good moisturiser.

Secondly on the sun light yes you should avoid tanning and stuff not that you'll be doing any of that with Irish weather. Secondly you need to make sure your wearing a suncream everyday 1/2 teaspoon for your face and neck. Even with the Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

I agree about the suncream, both of my brothers were on it and it was repeated to them continouosly so it must be very important! Also invest in a good lip balm, preferably something with aloe vera as they found the dryness really affected their lips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I would look into this very seriously before deciding to go with it. It is a strong drug with some serious side effects. You don't mention your age and I don't know if you're sexually active but if you are it's important that you are scrupulously careful with birth control as there is a high chance that a child conceived while on this drug will have foetal abnormalities.

Something that's worked really well for me has been high dose omega 3, 6 & 9 with every meal- something like udos oil or a mixture of fish, flax and evening primrose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Thanks everyone. I am only 16 at the moment and my acne isn't very serious compared to some of my other friends. Would I have to still wear sunscreen if I wasn't going out for the day?
    Also how long does it take till the side effects begin?

Thanks everyone. I am only 16 at the moment and my acne isn't very serious compared to some of my other friends. Would I have to still wear sunscreen if I wasn't going out for the day?
    Also how long does it take till the side effects begin?

The side effects are not all physical ones. Did YOU talk to the consultant yourself? If you feel your acne is only a passing phase, I would strongly recommend exploring all other avenues first. Did you speak to your GP? My daughter found Brevoxyl great. She started off with the lower strength and graduated to the stronger one. It left her with very dry skin, but she found Dermalogica products great to use alongside the Brevoxyl. My son, on the other hand was a mess. His face was ok, but across his shoulders was a red sore with pus. He did use the roaccutane. It did the job alright. he had to have a blood test every month. I think he did a 3 month course. At the very end he had awful cold sores, which he suffers from ocassionally still. He was 17 at the time and is 21 now. We did worry about the psychological effects as he's a sensitive lad, but he was ok. It was a last resort for him. He had tried other tablets, but while they helped a bit, the problem was still there. Good Luck, whatever route you take!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Roaccutane was the best thing I ever used, I have had (mild) acne for years and my spots really got me down. I tried every treatment under the sun before roaccutane and they never worked. I was on roaccutane for 9 months and acne has completely cleared even two years later. The only side effect I had was very dry lips, for which I used nuxe emollient balm for very dry lips. I had no other side effects

Ok thanks. By the way, the roaccutane i'm taking is only 20mg which is not much compared to some other people's experiences i've read that are on 40 or 100mg. I'm hoping my experience with this is the same as the above poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

You are right to be taking this seriously OP - acne can have a very bad effect on your self confidence as a young person and also leave scarring that is permanent.

Unless you have a very mild case, faffing around with topical creams and lotions and dietary changes is likely to cost you a fortune in the long term, and have very little, if any, effect on your skin (although it will drive you around the bend and take up loads of your time).

Have you talked to the GP yourself? They should take you seriously and will be able to advise you on the options available. Medical treatment for acne has come a long way and will tackle the problem from the inside out.

Laser treatment is great later for any scarring or discolouration, but this is something that you wouldn't be looking at until you are older and everything has settled down. Your doctor should be able to advise you on this also.

I think you should get some good medical advice yourself OP and hopefully you won't have to deal with the issue long-term.

Roaccutane works very well for some people, but doesn't suit others at all. Your doc should monitor you closely while you are on it and will have other options available if it doesn't work out for you. Don't be afraid to go back and ask for another treatment if you feel it isn't agreeing with you.

Best of luck with all this!

Glinda wrote: »
    You are right to be taking this seriously OP - acne can have a very bad effect on your self confidence as a young person and also leave scarring that is permanent.

Unless you have a very mild case, faffing around with topical creams and lotions and dietary changes is likely to cost you a fortune in the long term, and have very little, if any, effect on your skin (although it will drive you around the bend and take up loads of your time).

Have you talked to the GP yourself? They should take you seriously and will be able to advise you on the options available. Medical treatment for acne has come a long way and will tackle the problem from the inside out.

Laser treatment is great later for any scarring or discolouration, but this is something that you wouldn't be looking at until you are older and everything has settled down. Your doctor should be able to advise you on this also.

I think you should get some good medical advice yourself OP and hopefully you won't have to deal with the issue long-term.

Roaccutane works very well for some people, but doesn't suit others at all. Your doc should monitor you closely while you are on it and will have other options available if it doesn't work out for you. Don't be afraid to go back and ask for another treatment if you feel it isn't agreeing with you.

Best of luck with all this!

Thanks Glinda for your advice. I have tried many different acne products that would work a bit but could not solve the problem 100%. So here i am on roaccutane. So far no side effects have hit me but its early days. I will keep everyone updated on how its going

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

If you speak to your GP, he/she may prescribe the pill. Apparently it works much better than the other tablets that a patient may be prescribed. The side effects are often weaker too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi, so I am a teenager and have had mild acne for about 2 years now. Its usually red pimples that occasionally can grow really big and there's a few bit of blackheads but not too many. It's been like this for a while, and I guess my parents have gotten a bit tired of it at this stage which I understand, so my dad talked to a dermatologist and i'm now going to begin a treatment with roaccutane. I'm a bit scared of this because it has many common side effects such as dryness and eczema and it says to avoid sunlight.

My question is are the side effects common to everyone, like is there a high chance of these side effects on me. Also what products would you recommend for the dryness. Currently I am using a nice foaming face wash, a night gel, and a weekly mask for my acne. Should I continue with this or would you recommend any other products. Also I used to have eczema as a baby, so is there a decent chance it could come back now with roaccutane.

And last of all, how seriously should i avoid sunlight, like I doubt any Irish weather would affect me, especially through the coming months. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi there, I was on roaccutane, in my late teens. Now I had very bad acne, and was prescribed it by a dermatologist after trying a lot of ointments/ topical treatments. I was advised about dry skin and lips (this wasn't a real problem, just used a moisturiser and lip balm), taking care in the sunlight (again wasn't really a problem, I was on the treatment from Jan-April), not drinking alcohol (though I was allowed 1 bottle of beer if I was going out maybe once a month). Also, you must be extremely careful not to get pregnant while on this drug. That is probably the most important thing, so much so, you must sign a form saying you understand this, and it had to be witnessed in front of my Dad :o)

I thought the drug was brilliant and I'm so glad I went on it. I didn't have any problems on it, but just to let you know at first, your skin clears up quickly (in the first couple of weeks), but it will get bad again, and it will take 3-4 months before your skin really clears up. I had to go back to the dermatologist one a month for check ups.

There has been a lot of talk about depression being linked to Roaccutane. Now this is just my opinion and experience on it, but when I had acne, it was the acne that made me feel bad about myself, I was so embarrassed by it, and thought everyone must be disgusted at the look of me. Roaccutane gave me back my confidence. Being a teen, especially a girl, and having really bad skin will make you very self conscious. I definitely don't feel roaccutane had any negative effect on me emotionally.

I was left with barely any scarring from the acne, and I put it down to the treatment. If I hadn't taken it, I'd imagine I'd have spent another few years, using lotions & potions, and scaring could have been an issue for me.

Best of luck :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Hi there, I was on roaccutane, in my late teens. Now I had very bad acne, and was prescribed it by a dermatologist after trying a lot of ointments/ topical treatments. I was advised about dry skin and lips (this wasn't a real problem, just used a moisturiser and lip balm), taking care in the sunlight (again wasn't really a problem, I was on the treatment from Jan-April), not drinking alcohol (though I was allowed 1 bottle of beer if I was going out maybe once a month). Also, you must be extremely careful not to get pregnant while on this drug. That is probably the most important thing, so much so, you must sign a form saying you understand this, and it had to be witnessed in front of my Dad :o)

I thought the drug was brilliant and I'm so glad I went on it. I didn't have any problems on it, but just to let you know at first, your skin clears up quickly (in the first couple of weeks), but it will get bad again, and it will take 3-4 months before your skin really clears up. I had to go back to the dermatologist one a month for check ups.

There has been a lot of talk about depression being linked to Roaccutane. Now this is just my opinion and experience on it, but when I had acne, it was the acne that made me feel bad about myself, I was so embarrassed by it, and thought everyone must be disgusted at the look of me. Roaccutane gave me back my confidence. Being a teen, especially a girl, and having really bad skin will make you very self conscious. I definitely don't feel roaccutane had any negative effect on me emotionally.

I was left with barely any scarring from the acne, and I put it down to the treatment. If I hadn't taken it, I'd imagine I'd have spent another few years, using lotions & potions, and scaring could have been an issue for me.

Best of luck :)

Im only 16 and am a male so I don't think that will happen any time soon. :D
    Thanks for the advice. I would definitely agree about the self conscious part of acne. I already have a shy personality and I started to be more outgoing and confident in my early teens but ever since I started breaking out and getting acne, I felt exactly how you felt - that people must feel disgusted by looking at your face. Hopefully in a couple months time, it will be gone for good and I won't have to be so self conscious about my face when talking to people.
    Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Im only 16 and am a male so I don't think that will happen any time soon. :D
    No need to worry about that so ;)
    Thanks for the advice. I would definitely agree about the self conscious part of acne. I already have a shy personality and I started to be more outgoing and confident in my early teens but ever since I started breaking out and getting acne, I felt exactly how you felt - that people must feel disgusted by looking at your face. Hopefully in a couple months time, it will be gone for good and I won't have to be so self conscious about my face when talking to people.
    Thanks for your help :)

Glad me telling my experience has been of some help. As your skin doesn't sound anything as bad as mine was, I'd imagine you will see results quicker again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emma83

I like to see how people help other people and share their experience.

Ok so a little update here on my situation.

I've been on roaccutane for about a week and a half and so far my acne seems to be getting worse. I've done a bit of research and found that this is supposed to happen. But the range of how long this happens seems to go from some people saying just a week or two to others saying 2 or 3 months. How long do you think my acne will get worse before results start to show. By worse i mean i'm getting some really big red pimples around my face.

I've decided to share everything i am using; all the products i am currently using and if you have any advice on whether i should continue using it please share.

For my face wash that I used in the morning and evening, I use Boots Tea Tree Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash along with the Shine Control Day Moisturiser which i use in the morning and the Night Treatment Gel which I use in the evening before bed.

So far i'm only getting dry lips very small patches of dryness on my chin and around my nose and for that i am using the Vaseline Aloe Vera. I primarily use it on my lips as I've heard that vaseline isn't great for the face, but aloe vera is so i'm not sure.

I also have Aveeno Daily Moisturiser, which i've recently researched and found that it isn't great for acne but can do the job for dryness, so i guess i'm really only going to use it for a couple of dry patches on my face.

So that's basically it. If you have any advice on what else I should do or use to get results quickly, please share. Also one more question, should I drink alot of milk while on accutane or any other types of drinks. Thanks

The dry lips were the biggest problem for my son. He used plain Vaseline. On his skin he used E45 cream morning and night, on recommendation of our local Chemist. He used just plain handwash to wash. It's early days yet, but 5 years after a 6 month treatement, he's still acne free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

Ok so a little update here on my situation.

I've been on roaccutane for about a week and a half and so far my acne seems to be getting worse. I've done a bit of research and found that this is supposed to happen. But the range of how long this happens seems to go from some people saying just a week or two to others saying 2 or 3 months. How long do you think my acne will get worse before results start to show. By worse i mean i'm getting some really big red pimples around my face.

I've decided to share everything i am using; all the products i am currently using and if you have any advice on whether i should continue using it please share.

For my face wash that I used in the morning and evening, I use Boots Tea Tree Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash along with the Shine Control Day Moisturiser which i use in the morning and the Night Treatment Gel which I use in the evening before bed.

So far i'm only getting dry lips very small patches of dryness on my chin and around my nose and for that i am using the Vaseline Aloe Vera. I primarily use it on my lips as I've heard that vaseline isn't great for the face, but aloe vera is so i'm not sure.

I also have Aveeno Daily Moisturiser, which i've recently researched and found that it isn't great for acne but can do the job for dryness, so i guess i'm really only going to use it for a couple of dry patches on my face.

So that's basically it. If you have any advice on what else I should do or use to get results quickly, please share. Also one more question, should I drink alot of milk while on accutane or any other types of drinks. Thanks

I'd leave those acne products alone. They dry out and irritate your skin. The best thing I ever did skincare wise was to start moisturising the hell out of my skin and use very gentle facewashes. I still have acne and am considering Roaccutate (I'm 29!) but my skin is a bit better now that I'm not irritating it with products for acne.

MissNomer wrote: »
    I'd leave those acne products alone. They dry out and irritate your skin. The best thing I ever did skincare wise was to start moisturising the hell out of my skin and use very gentle facewashes. I still have acne and am considering Roaccutate (I'm 29!) but my skin is a bit better now that I'm not irritating it with products for acne.

I don't think it would be a good idea to stop using face washes and to only moisturise. Plus the face wash i am using is very gentle-its a foaming wash

I don't think it would be a good idea to stop using face washes and to only moisturise. Plus the face wash i am using is very gentle-its a foaming wash

Do whatever you want, just trying to give you some advice based on what worked for me. I used those very same Boots products and they were a disaster for my skin. Foaming washes in general are not good for your skin. I use Avene products now - they do cleansers, toners, etc. but all very mild.

Do whatever you want, just trying to give you some advice based on what worked for me. I used those very same Boots products and they were a disaster for my skin. Foaming washes in general are not good for your skin. I use Avene products now - they do cleansers, toners, etc. but all very mild.

Well everyone is different :) The face wash i am using isn't doing me any harm as far as im aware. The moisturiser though sometimes leaves my face a bit dry

• Advertisement

Well everyone is different :) The face wash i am using isn't doing me any harm as far as im aware. The moisturiser though sometimes leaves my face a bit dry

If you go to a good independent chemist and explain your treatment, they should be able to give you samples so you chan choose which suits you best. A good chemist is as good as any doctor!

Op don't drop your cleanser there is nothing wrong with it and if it works for you keep using it. Also there is nothing wrong with using foaming cleaners and they are usually not harsher than other cleansers. You should however be using suncream daily to prevent sun damage. Lastly if your skin is getting dry I'd recommend you put a thin layer of vasiline on at night over you moisturiser as it helps to lock in moisture and leaves your skin soft.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Op don't drop your cleanser there is nothing wrong with it and if it works for you keep using it. Also there is nothing wrong with using foaming cleaners and they are usually not harsher than other cleansers. You should however be using suncream daily to prevent sun damage. Lastly if your skin is getting dry I'd recommend you put a thin layer of vasiline on at night over you moisturiser as it helps to lock in moisture and leaves your skin soft.

Thanks i'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I'm almost finished my third month now. I had my initial breakout around the end of my 2nd week and it lasted for 2 weeks.
    In month two my face was continuously flushed for about week. I'm talking full on red and then thinking about it made it redder. Definitely the worst side effect for me.
    Month 3 and my face is smooth, no flushing, just pigmentation issues from past breakouts. The difference over the last 12 weeks is nothing short of amazing.

Side effects wise: I have lower bank pain if I'm inactive for too long i.e getting out of bed in the morning. Dry nose/nosebleeds during the night (bought a humidifier for the room and that sorted that problem). Chapped lips not nearly as bad I was expecting before taking the drug.

I use Cetaphil cleanser, body lotion and sunscreen, and Avene moisturiser.
    And drink plenty of water.

OP, I recommend taking pictures at the end of each week to track your treatment.

DeWitt wrote: »
    I'm almost finished my third month now. I had my initial breakout around the end of my 2nd week and it lasted for 2 weeks.
    In month two my face was continuously flushed for about week. I'm talking full on red and then thinking about it made it redder. Definitely the worst side effect for me.
    Month 3 and my face is smooth, no flushing, just pigmentation issues from past breakouts. The difference over the last 12 weeks is nothing short of amazing.

Side effects wise: I have lower bank pain if I'm inactive for too long i.e getting out of bed in the morning. Dry nose/nosebleeds during the night (bought a humidifier for the room and that sorted that problem). Chapped lips not nearly as bad I was expecting before taking the drug.

I use Cetaphil cleanser, body lotion and sunscreen, and Avene moisturiser.
    And drink plenty of water.

OP, I recommend taking pictures at the end of each week to track your treatment.

I've come to the conclusion that the length of time before seeing results varies for everyone as I've heard from 2 weeks to 3 months. I'm nearly 2 weeks through and I am seeing some small results. Little spots on my nose are clearing up and my big red pimples are decreasing in size and redness.

The side effects you have mentioned are exactly what is happening to me. Lower back pain, chapped lips and I've had 2 dry nose bleeds. But i'm managing everything well so so far so good. Thanks

There clearly may well be something wrong with it, as his skin is even worse than before. I don't know why people post and ask for advice and then disregard the advice. Roaccutane is really drying for your skin, and to then go and use harsh foaming cleansers and moisturiser which actually dries out your face is, to me, quite silly. Off-the-shelf acne products almost always make your acne worse by drying out your skin and stripping away all the natural oils. That Boots Tea Tree Foaming Wash is anything but gentle.

I have been suffering from acne for years and have tried pretty much everything, but the best advice I ever got was to throw away those type of products. I cringe at the thought of putting them anywhere near my skin now. Same for oil-free moisturisers - I thought I was doing the right thing by using them as my skin was oily but it ended up making things worse. I went for a decent 'normal' moisturiser (not a cheap one or a greasy one, but not marketed to acne sufferers) and a mild Avene cleanser. The worst thing you can do with acne is to dry out your skin.

There clearly may well be something wrong with it, as his skin is even worse than before. I don't know why people post and ask for advice and then disregard the advice. Roaccutane is really drying for your skin, and to then go and use harsh foaming cleansers and moisturiser which actually dries out your face is, to me, quite silly. Off-the-shelf acne products almost always make your acne worse by drying out your skin and stripping away all the natural oils. That Boots Tea Tree Foaming Wash is anything but gentle.

I have been suffering from acne for years and have tried pretty much everything, but the best advice I ever got was to throw away those type of products. I cringe at the thought of putting them anywhere near my skin now. Same for oil-free moisturisers - I thought I was doing the right thing by using them as my skin was oily but it ended up making things worse. I went for a decent 'normal' moisturiser (not a cheap one or a greasy one, but not marketed to acne sufferers) and a mild Avene cleanser. The worst thing you can do with acne is to dry out your skin.

Firstly just because a cleanser is foaming doesn't mean that it us harsh and this is a myth and all of these cleansers are pH adjusted so are if they work for him. Secondly the nature of most acne antibiotics and topical creams is that your skin will purge before getting better.

If these products are working for him and he is consulting with his derm or doctor over the course of his treatment then its ok.

Lastly just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for him everyone's skin is different. My skin for example handles fragrances and alcohol perfectly well but for most people they are harsh and damaging.

Firstly just because a cleanser is foaming doesn't mean that it us harsh and this is a myth and all of these cleansers are pH adjusted so are if they work for him. Secondly the nature of most acne antibiotics and topical creams is that your skin will purge before getting better.

If these products are working for him and he is consulting with his derm or doctor over the course of his treatment then its ok.

Lastly just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for him everyone's skin is different. My skin for example handles fragrances and alcohol perfectly well but for most people they are harsh and damaging.

It is largely not a myth and I know for sure that this particular cleanser is massively harsh and drying - I've used it!

I don't know how old OP is, but it's not just a matter of getting rid of the acne. Using harsh products and drying out your skin will contribute to other problems like aging. I never thought about that when I was in my early twenties, but now I wish I hadn't only focused on the acne and forgotten about the other stuff. I know this is probably more of a concern for women than men but it's still something to consider.

It is largely not a myth and I know for sure that this particular cleanser is massively harsh and drying - I've used it!

I don't know how old OP is, but it's not just a matter of getting rid of the acne. Using harsh products and drying out your skin will contribute to other problems like aging. I never thought about that when I was in my early twenties, but now I wish I hadn't only focused on the acne and forgotten about the other stuff. I know this is probably more of a concern for women than men but it's still something to consider.

Your skin is different to the ops skin. So your skin is going to react differently to his skin. I'm sure as I said his derm or doctor is closely monitoring what products he is using and also the condition of his skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I had two courses of Roaccutane. The first time the side effects were too extreme so I stopped it early. My skin was clear for a while and then the acne came back and I took a lower dose for a few months. My skin is ok now, it's not perfect but it's manageable with a strict skincare regime.

You will have dryer skin than most people will ever have if this drug works. I wouldn't bother cleansing too much in the morning, just use a bit of silcock's base or aqueous cream and wipe it off.

Learning about skincare in your teens is great for the rest of your life. I have used spf 30 every day since I was a teenager because the dermatologist told me to. I have also been using Retin-A cream on and off. As a result I look a lot younger than I am now.

Advertisement