Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poland’s Culture War Rages On

Options
  • 04-07-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

The following is from todays NY Times - unfortunately I don't have enough posts to link - if someone can do it for me I'd be grateful. Anyway I found it an interesting read. Poland makes Ireland sound practically enlightened! I am going to paste it here :

WARSAW — A culture war has been raging in Poland since the fall of Communism in 1989, pitting secular forces against the Roman Catholic Church on issues ranging from abortion to taxes to education.

The latest battle in that war arose from an unlikely place, a staging of the play “Golgota Picnic” by the Argentine author Rodrigo García, and has produced an even more unlikely result: a defeat for the church.

The church in Poland is both omnipresent — we have one of the world’s largest statues of Jesus, at about 100 feet high — and, at least from its perspective, the victim of constant, brutal attacks from modernizing, progressive forces.

The fact that over 90 percent of Poles belong to the church, and that it enjoys almost complete control over legislation concerning social issues (there is also a legal ban on offending religious feelings) is apparently irrelevant.

In every election, the church is effectively the largest party in the Parliament; regardless of their actual party affiliation, well over 50 percent of legislators unofficially take orders from the episcopate. It is impossible to pass legislation on insurance coverage for in vitro fertilization, to say nothing of sexual education in schools, legalized abortion or same-sex unions.

To maintain its power, the church invents threats against it. Recently it was the catchall boogeyman of “gender” — feminism, abortion, birth control — considered by the clergy to be an ideology “worse than Nazism and Communism combined.” Now it is modern art, with a long list of artistic events deemed “anti-Christian.”

Which is where Mr. García and his play come in. On June 20, the organizers of the Malta International Theater Festival, which takes place annually in Poznan and is one of the largest such events in this part of Europe, gave in to a coalition of Catholic fundamentalists and right-wing hooligans and canceled the performance of “Golgota Picnic,” after repeated accusations that the play was blasphemous. Instead of upholding the constitutional right to artistic freedom, the mayor of Poznan, Ryszard Grobelny, endorsed the organizers’ self-censorship, claiming that “the play threatens Poznan’s traditional values and as such is perceived as a provocation.”

Catholic censorship, unlike Communist censorship, is characterized by the fact that Catholics themselves do not know what exactly they are censoring. None of the protesters had seen Mr. García’s play. Not that it mattered to them. Communists once boasted that they knew the future, and in this sense, Catholics are similar: A work of art must be banned before it corrupts our souls.

Mr. García’s play is something of a Last Supper of modernity, criticizing Western societies mired in consumerism. And because one of the foundations of Western society is Christianity, the artist used a biblical theme.

In the landscape of modern theater, Mr. García’s play is nothing special — without the controversy, it could easily be overlooked. “The Curse,” a theatrical series by Pawel Demirski and Monika Strzepka, is much stronger artistically and, at the same time, is genuinely blasphemous, directly ridiculing Poland’s parliamentary Catholicism. Jesus appears, but unlike in Mr. García’s play, is treated with dismissive irony. And yet, for some reason, no one has protested “The Curse,” and Mr. Demirski and Ms. Strzepka can only dream about the level of publicity and artistic importance that “Golgota Picnic” has received.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story
    Meanwhile, the cowardice of the Malta festival’s organizers mobilized leading representatives of Polish culture, among them the artist Wojciech Ziemilski, the museum director Joanna Mytkowska and the theater director Michal Zadara, to call for public performances and readings of the play across the country. The response was huge — the play appeared in 30 cities, in Poland and around Europe.

To compound this “evil,” one of the country’s largest daily newspapers, Gazeta Wyborcza, published the entire text of the play in its weekend edition, so that every citizen could read it at home.

In most instances, the actors reading the play were surrounded by crowds of people saying the rosary or singing hymns, politicians from the right-wing Law and Justice Party and soccer hooligans. No riots occurred, although Archbishop Stanislaw Gadecki did call for a “nationwide protest that would threaten unrest.”

Still, in Poland, this is the first such victory of culture over art censorship. For the first time, there was a large-scale mobilization of cultural institutions and figures, rather than just open letters or press campaigns. But the ultimate victory for defenders of culture took place during a debate organized by the festival’s creators, which was attended by the play’s director and Mr. Grobelny, the mayor of Poznan. When the floor was opened for questions, a blond-haired youth stood and asked to speak.

“My name is Tomasz Maciejuk, and I am a nationalist,” he said. “I would like to apologize to you for the fact that you were unable to enjoy artistic freedom and perform your play because of a bunch of soccer hooligans. This is a disgrace for our country. I am ashamed of the mayor, who was intimidated by the hooligans and did not fulfill his obligations.”

It is unclear whether this brave young nationalist will have anyone to defend him from the hooligans. Ideally, he would have the backing of the city authorities and the festival’s organizers. But this is Poland, where the culture war rages on.

"Slawomir Sierakowski is a sociologist, a founder of the Krytyka Polityczna movement and the director of the Institute for Advanced Study in Warsaw. This article was translated by Maria Blackwood from the Polish."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds alot like Ireland was/is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

As much as the idea gives some people apoplexy, I think the fact that were an English speaking country (for all intents and purposes before someone starts! :pac:) is a blessing to the secular minded. Sharing a language and increasingly, a culture, with the likes of Britain and the US/Canada jump started social development here. Without being so easily exposed to such an expanded marketplace of ideas I think we'd probably be a lot further back along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RCC got an entirely unjustified free pass here after our independence struggle (which, lest we forget, they opposed) and it seems the same thing happened in Poland.

I have to laugh when I read about all that JPII supposedly did to 'defeat communism', he did sweet f all. As with most repressive regimes, the RCC was quite happy to reach a modus vivendi with the communists and not rock the boat too much.

Life ain't always empty.

Sharing a language and increasingly, a culture, with the likes of Britain and the US/Canada jump started social development here. Without being so easily exposed to such an expanded marketplace of ideas I think we'd probably be a lot further back along the line.

That's why censorship in the 50s was so heavy here.

With increasing reception of UK TV and radio here from the late 50s on, the game was up.

I shudder to think what this country would be like today if the more extreme gaelgeoirs had their way.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Poland., learn from our history, For the sake of your children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

johnpeters wrote: »
    The following is from todays NY Times - unfortunately I don't have enough posts to link
    Linky

Thing can change very quickly. Spain used to be considered a very religious catholic country, but nowadays few attend their local church. Realistically, it is largely an agnostic country now. Ireland is heading that way too.
    Holland was considered a protestant country up until recently, but now the majority religion is RC. Not because of a mass conversion though, its due to the protestants there becoming atheists and agnostics at a faster rate than catholics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Poland going the same way as other EU states in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ninja900 wrote: »
    RCC got an entirely unjustified free pass here after our independence struggle (which, lest we forget, they opposed) and it seems the same thing happened in Poland.

I have to laugh when I read about all that JPII supposedly did to 'defeat communism', he did sweet f all. As with most repressive regimes, the RCC was quite happy to reach a modus vivendi with the communists and not rock the boat too much.

I remember during my Leaving Cert history course all of this (for want of a better word) propaganda for JP2 for his role in "defeating communism". I wonder if our favourite Corkonian historian can elaborate on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    Holland was considered a protestant country up until recently, but now the majority religion is RC. Not because of a mass conversion though, its due to the protestants there becoming atheists and agnostics at a faster rate than catholics.

Which is quite a hard feat, considering how quick the rcc is dying in the Netherlands (never call the country Holland to a Dutch person).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I remember during my Leaving Cert history course all of this (for want of a better word) propaganda for JP2 for his role in "defeating communism". I wonder if our favourite Corkonian historian can elaborate on that.

When'd you do the leaving? Back in '99 the course got as far as "a rising tide lifts all boats".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

When'd you do the leaving? Back in '99 the course got as far as "a rising tide lifts all boats".

I did it in 2012, and we got as far as 1993, I think.

• Advertisement

Did the Inter Cert in 1986 and the history book stopped at 1975 :p which seemed ancient at the time but could have been worse I suppose.

The atlas I had for Inter Cert geography had South Vietnam in it, although there were more up-to-date editions available!

Never would have thought from your posts you were that young PP (that's a compliment by the way.)

Life ain't always empty.

Which is quite a hard feat, considering how quick the rcc is dying in the Netherlands (never call the country Holland to a Dutch person).

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Holland, Nederlands, I don't think they mind. Just don't call it Flatlands.

Advertisement