Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport-Clongriffin - help needed for a foreigner :)

Options
  • 15-01-2012 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hello! i'm a singaporean headed to your beautiful city next month for a holiday, and i need a little help with directions.

i'll be staying in an apartment next to the clongriffin DART station, and according to my host, it makes more sense to take a taxi from the airport as his place is just 7km away from the airport. however, the taxi fares of approximately 15 euros is a little too much for a student like me :(

i did a search on the dublin bus site, and it threw me this suggested itinerary on public transport

Dublin airport >> Irish life mall (via Bus 41) >> Tara Street DART >> Clongriffin DART

What do you guys think? How much would it cost for the bus and DART trips?

Thanks a lot in advance, everyone!

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

notlocal wrote: »
    i'll be staying in an apartment next to the clongriffin DART station, and according to my host, it makes more sense to take a taxi from the airport as his place is just 7km away from the airport. however, the taxi fares of approximately 15 euros is a little too much for a student like me :(
    What time do you get into Dublin airport at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Bus will be €2.65 and dart would be €2.50
    http://hittheroad.ie/#from=Dublin+Airport&to=Clongriffin

Depending on how long you're here for, it might be worth your while getting a Leap card which works on public transport (Bus, DART and LUAS). The fares are generally cheaper, but the card itself costs €5. For example, that journey would've cost you €2.40 + €2.10 if you had a Leap card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 notlocal

hello! thanks for the prompt reply!

likely i'll be touching down around 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Im not 100% sure on this, so maybe someone else can confirm it, but I think you could probably take the 102 bus to Malahide and then get the Dart from Malahide Train Station to Clongriffin. From memory I think the 102 stops about 200m from Malahide Train Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Locals: is there access to Clongriffin Station from Red Arches Road? If so the 102 Dublin Airport-Sutton service gets the OP to within 1500m. It's a bit of a walk but a damn sight cheaper than a bus ticket into town and a train ticket back surely.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure on this, so maybe someone else can confirm it, but I think you could probably take the 102 bus to Malahide and then get the Dart from Malahide Train Station to Clongriffin. From memory I think the 102 stops about 200m from Malahide Train Station.

Wow, thanks for this! It does look like an easier route as compared to taking Bus 41. What are the fares like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can actually get a combined bus/rail single journey ticket on the 102 directly to Clongriffen DART Station as it is a DART feeder bus.

I can't tell you what the combined fare would be, but the bus fare on the 102 is EUR 2.15 and the DART fare is EUR 2.50. The combined fare would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    You can actually get a combined bus/rail single journey ticket on the 102 directly to Clongriffen DART Station as it is a DART feeder bus.
    If you do get a feeder ticket do you have to stay on the bus as far as Sutton?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    If you do get a feeder ticket do you have to stay on the bus as far as Sutton?

No, it "feeds" the Dart at Malahide as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In Malahide, the bus stop you want is here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Malahide+Station,+Malahide&hl=en&ll=53.45053,-6.154503&spn=0.000829,0.002411&sll=53.400066,-6.138182&sspn=0.006691,0.01929&oq=MAlahide+sta+station&vpsrc=6&dirflg=w&hnear=Malahide+Station,+Dublin+Rd,+Malahide&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.45055,-6.15488&panoid=4dQEPxAGE8AbREbRGWh5lA&cbp=12,273.42,,0,8.04 and hte station is at the pedestrian crossing.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    Locals: is there access to Clongriffin Station from Red Arches Road? If so the 102 Dublin Airport-Sutton service gets the OP to within 1500m. It's a bit of a walk but a damn sight cheaper than a bus ticket into town and a train ticket back surely.
    This would seem to be a bit mad. Whatever about doing it as a local person, doing it with luggage, after a 15(?) hour flight, in a strange city, possibly in bad weather is another matter.

This walk appears to be possible : http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Coast+Rd%2FR106&daddr=Myrtle+Ave&hl=en&sll=53.401012,-6.147752&sspn=0.013279,0.038581&geocode=FYvdLgMdvHCi_w%3BFXTSLgMd-iyi_w&vpsrc=0&dirflg=w&mra=mrv&t=k&z=15 and you can certainly walk from point 'B' to the DART station, but it is a lot of effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I know this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, OP, but if I were you I'd take the taxi. Landing in an unfamiliar city after a long flight is difficult enough, without trying to get a bus and a train connection. You'll probably have baggage, and really you'd be going out of your way if you took the train at all. This isn't Singapore - our public transport system isn't the best, which can be seen in trips such as yours. A taxi ride would be expensive, yes, but considering it's a once-off expense and it saves you a lot of hassle, I think it would be worth it.

Aard: Haha, yes it does makes a lot more sense and even worth it to catch a cab, but i'm trying to make every cent count :D i think that dublin's transport system should be as good, if not better than singapore's!

to the rest: thanks for all the suggestions! i think i might be taking on the bus 102 to malahide >> clongriffin. makes so much sense than the bus 41 itinerary! doubt i'd be walking though as i'll be lugging around a luggage filled with 25kgs of redundant high heels and whatnots. also: how does the feeder system work?

thanks so much! have a great week ahead y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aard: Haha, yes it does makes a lot more sense and even worth it to catch a cab, but i'm trying to make every cent count :D i think that dublin's transport system should be as good, if not better than singapore's!
    Should be better, but probably isn't.
    doubt i'd be walking though as i'll be lugging around a luggage filled with 25kgs of redundant high heels and whatnots. also: how does the feeder system work?
    If your luggage is bigger than you, you know there is a problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

to the rest: thanks for all the suggestions! i think i might be taking on the bus 102 to malahide >> clongriffin. makes so much sense than the bus 41 itinerary! doubt i'd be walking though as i'll be lugging around a luggage filled with 25kgs of redundant high heels and whatnots. also: how does the feeder system work?

thanks so much! have a great week ahead y'all

OK - 102 Timetable is here. Train timetable from Malahide to Clongriffin is here - use the journey planner.

Allow about 30 minutes for the 102 to get to Malahide Station.

Ask the driver for a ticket to Clongriffin Station and then ask him to let you know when you get to Malahide Station. The bus stop is beside the station. Have some change available - they don't take notes or give change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Getting buses into town (10km) then back out again to clongriffin approx another 10(km),,with luggage seems crazy...You said yourself you have heavy luggage surely it would be far better to spend 15euro on a taxi ,its less hassle gets you to your destination quicker and peace of mind... you said you want to save every cent but Im sure your flight cost more than 15euro !!!!

woo hoo! thanks for all the advice guys - i guess i already have an idea of getting around by bus/train but i won't be surprised if i just give up after all that flying and duck into the nearest taxi instead :p

cheerios and i can't wait for my virgin irish vacation!
    fiona

Advertisement