Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk to Belfast

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have to go to Belfast and I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to get up there. I had a look on Iarnrod Eireann and its €31 and AirCoach is €10 and I cant find out how much Bus Eireann is. Also IE and AC get me there two hours before I have to be there. I also looking at getting a bus to Newry and then getting a bus from there.

I have also posted this on the Louth forum but I need to know pretty soon so thats why I have posted twice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

not1but4 wrote: »
    I have to go to Belfast and I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to get up there. I had a look on Iarnrod Eireann and its €31 and AirCoach is €10 and I cant find out how much Bus Eireann is. Also IE and AC get me there two hours before I have to be there. I also looking at getting a bus to Newry and then getting a bus from there.

I have also posted this on the Louth forum but I need to know pretty soon so thats why I have posted twice.

It would help if you said when you are travelling.

Rail tickets vary in price depending on what train you are travelling on and demand thereon - you can travel for about EUR 20 from Dundalk to Belfast return if you pick the right trains!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Never mind :)

I should have added that due to compatability issues with Translink's ticketing systems, the Bus Eireann cross-border fares are not in the fares finder online - you'll need to ring the local Bus Eireann office in Dundalk on 042 9334075.

markpb wrote: »
    The Aircoach service between Dublin and Belfast is gone so don't rely on that :)

Mark - you should check before you post.

It does not cease until Friday 29th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I am going on Thursday and need to be there before half two. Just rang up and its €13 single and €17.50 return.

Oh I didnt know AirCoach was ceasing.

• Advertisement

I am going on Thursday and need to be there before half two. Just rang up and its €13 single and €17.50 return.

Oh I didnt know AirCoach was ceasing.

When are you returning?

I am not sure, but more then likely at 4 or half 4.

Train is EUR 20.50 return travelling on the 11:58 ex-Dundalk and returning on the 16:10 ex-Belfast on 30/09/10 when you book online at www.irishrail.ie (NB booking office will be different fare).

Aircoach comes up for me as EUR 17.50 return.

I had selected premier seats :o

Will that be same price if I buy it at the station?

I had selected premier seats :o

Will that be same price if I buy it at the station?

Probably dearer.

Best prices are online.

• Advertisement

I need to go to Belfast again on Tuesday and I am unsure what to do. Last time I got the train I got it cheaper then the bus using the O2 treats but they dont seem to be doing that any more.

I need to be in Belfast for around 1pm

If I get the train it will get me there at 13:15 and I should be able to make my appointment in good time.

I can get the bus which is cheaper and it gets me there at 12:55 which is further way from where I want to go but it should be ok.

The problem is that if I get the train the return journey I have to wait around for two hours before I can leave but if it snows god knows how long it will take me on the bus. Ideally it would be great if I could get the train there and the bus back but I dont think I will be able to do that.

I rang up the Dundalk bus station and I was asking if the bus comes on time that stated on the website as I got the bus to Newry the other week and I was waiting around for about 20 minutes (after it was stated on the website) before it arrived. They said it would but TBH they did sound like cowboys and I think they may have misunderstood me when I told them the story with the Newry bus.

Advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I rang up the Dundalk bus station and I was asking if the bus comes on time that stated on the website as I got the bus to Newry the other week and I was waiting around for about 20 minutes (after it was stated on the website) before it arrived.
    Like anything, delays can happen.

Advertisement