Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price & Reliability or Speed?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

eircom, Digiweb, UPC, Smart, Imagine and Magnet have been have all been promoting speed in new packages.

So do the Mobles, though unlike real broadband their speed claims are mostly fanstasy

http://www.sbpost.ie/computersinbusiness/comreg-uncovers-broadband-apathy-42844.html

Apparently ComReg's survey shows price and reliability is more important than speed.

To a large extent, I'd agree, as long as the connection really is Broadband.

Another SBP Article
    http://www.sbpost.ie/computersinbusiness/broadband-battles-42847.html

However most of this article is nonsense. It doesn't point out that Mobile WiMax and Mobile LTE speeds are only at peak for one user in < 10% of cell. The speeds are shared and typically 1/16 at cell edge.

So 150MBps LTE can be < 1Mbps per user. No Mobile system will deliver Broadband unless mast density is x6 existing phone network and spectrum is about 100MHz. Frankly that's never going to be economic. The limitation isn't technology.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well for Magnet and Smart, they can offer both speed and reliability, with speed being the real differentiator, as they use ADSL2+. They can't offer really cheap packages that people might want as LLU pricing sets a minimum price.

UPC is probably the only company that can really deliver all three of speed, reliability and price. In the past their reliability was ok but not great, but it seems to be improving a lot recently.

UPC's 1m BB + phone for €24 or 3m BB for €22 (no phone) are really what most entry level BB users are looking for. And their high speed products are quiet good value for money.

Not surprising that UPC are the only company that can really offer all three, most other wired BB companies are limited by Eircom in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But Magnet & Smart are very expensive. Hence a small customer based compared to rubbish unreliable 3G Mobile, eircom DSL or even the Wireless systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

watty wrote: »
    But Magnet & Smart are very expensive. Hence a small customer based compared to rubbish unreliable 3G Mobile, eircom DSL or even the Wireless systems.

That's not true at all.

Eircom 7mbit €40.16
    Smart 7mbit €21.50
    Magnet 10mbit €29.99 (closest magnet package I can find)

Smart and magnet are indeed able to provide price, reliability and speed. The limiting factors are availability, advertising and in the case of choosing mobile internet, not being able to bring it with you where ever you go.

How often do we see those annoying Meteor broadband togo adverts?
    And last summer 3 advertising the hell out of their product. Eircom also have a huge name that the like of Smart and Magnet can't compete with.

That's not true at all.

Eircom 7mbit €40.16
    Smart 7mbit €21.50
    Magnet 10mbit €29.99 (closest magnet package I can find)

You are missing line rental. Smart and Magnet don't do cheap low end packages. I agree they are cheaper than eircom, which is why they don't make money here. Does the Smart package include VAT?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is pretty much what I was saying, there not expensive as such, they offer excellent value for money for high end products, but they can't offer the really cheap entry level products that most people want.

In fairness UPC do, which just goes to show it is still mostly Eircoms fault.
    Does the Smart package include VAT?

It does, but not line rental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

to me what matters is Download allowence

Three claim most people only need 1.5Gbyte and 15GByte is loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

well eircom are giving me 10 GB see My struggle with broadband (very long)

Advertisement