Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuelta a España 2014 - no current day stage discussion - see seasonal reminder sticky

• 14-08-2014 9:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont see a thread on this so maybe its time to start one?

I see that Contador is riding it
    Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 3m
    Hi all.I want to announce I will ride the Vuelta a España.Here you have a little video (English).See you all in Jerez http://youtu.be/LJNc8CEmqo4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

godtabh wrote: »
    I dont see a thread on this so maybe its time to start one?

I see that Contador is riding it

Ohhhh great, I thought he would not make it back in time for it. Infact I remember him saying that the damage to the leg was worse than thought and that he would not make the Vuelta. Can't wait for it. Dan Martin is looking good too, so should be a great tour.

In saying that, if Bertie has any of the form he had entering the TDF he should win the Vuelta easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He twitted a while back that he had an infection in the wound. Maybe that was a ploy as he has been seen riding a lot recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I was just about to start a thread.....great minds eh ??? :D

Vuelta is my favourite race of the year....The weather, scenery, MTFs, etc and of course always exciting racing

But this year with Froome, Quintana & Contador is looks uber exciting
    then there are Aru, J-Rod, VDB, Kelderman, Talansky, Valverde, D Martin Hesjedal, Uran, Evans, Sanchez, Moreno,etc

Possibly the most exciting line up in a long time....guys at the Vuelta organising committee must be wetting themselves

P.S. I forgot Chris Horner who is according to reports confident he can win again :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its the first grand tour of the year that I'll be able to watch properly. Exams in May. Holidays in July. Nothing to do now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

could be one of the best grand tours of all time this. The top 3 GC cyclists in the world fighting it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

going to be an absolute cracker of a tour. Quintana for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hard to see how he doesn't get his arse kicked by Froome and Quintana given his clearly difficult preparation recovering from the broken femur. Is he being pushed into racing by Tinkoff, would he not be better off looking towards next years Tour at this point?

going to be an absolute cracker of a tour. Quintana for me.

I don't know, after Froome and Contador leaving the TDF I can see them trying to prove something to rescue their season.

I reckon he's a stronger rider. A real joy to watch in the Giro this year.

Paddy has him slight the favourite. Perhaps some value with Bertie e/w there at 8/1?

Quintana 11/10 - Froome 13/8 - J-Rod 6/1 - Bertie 8/1

I reckon he's a stronger rider. A real joy to watch in the Giro this year.

Paddy has him slight the favourite. Perhaps some value with Bertie e/w there at 8/1?

Quintana 11/10 - Froome 13/8 - J-Rod 6/1 - Bertie 8/1

Only value is on laying Bertie, you'd don't break your Femur in mid July and win the Vuelta in late Aug / early Sep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Inquitus wrote: »
    Hard to see how he doesn't get his arse kicked by Froome and Quintana given his clearly difficult preparation recovering from the broken femur. Is he being pushed into racing by Tinkoff, would he not be better off looking towards next years Tour at this point?

He basically said in his interview he won't be riding for GC, instead he'll be aiming for stages in the last week. Probably hoping to replicate Joaquim Rodriguez's ability to ride into form during a Grand Tour during this year's TDF.

Only value is on laying Bertie, you'd don't break your Femur in mid July and win the Vuelta in late Aug / early Sep.

Sorry, meant to say for a place. I agree he won't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

He's talking about maybe competing for stage wins in the last week, not about GC contention.

I think we're getting a bit carried away here. It'll be good to have him there to try and wins stages anyway. Could make for some exciting days.

Probably hoping to replicate Joaquim Rodriguez's ability to ride into form during a Grand Tour during this year's TDF.

Jrod ended up winning nothing at the Tour no? :)

Jrod ended up winning nothing at the Tour no? :)

Frankly that he finished at all amazed me. Made a pretty good fist of the KOM classification, all things considered. I'll be equally amazed if Contador completes the vuelta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Love the Vuelta, has always been my favourite tour. Usually much more exciting than the Tour De France. I'm amazed Contador is going to ride it. Delighted but amazed. Very fast recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's incredible that Contador is going to ride this...he's surely not 100% going into it though. Should be a great tour though as Quintana, Froome and Contador should be well rested and the latter two didn't do much or any climbing in the Tour granted Bertie has a leg injury. I think if Contador can miraculously get back to 100% by the time I think he'll win it. I think Quintana is the man to beat right now. This will be bloody great though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I seriously doubt Contador is riding the Vuelta and not thinking of the GC. He may not have the form or preparation but he'll make it exciting.

I predict 1.Quintana 2.Froome 3.Contador.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cant wait,we were robbed of the Contador V Froome V Nibali scenario in TDF this year unfortunately, surely this will go some way to making up for that disappointment.

Has there been any updates on Froomes injuries? Will his bike handling be any better?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Has there been any updates on Froomes injuries? Will his bike handling be any better?

It would appear he's perfectly healed...he's been commenting on his training and there are numerous pictures of him training in Cali. Here he is with Levi Leipheimer of all people:

http://instagram.com/p/rDi4QbGsTd/

It would appear he's perfectly healed...he's been commenting on his training and there are numerous pictures of him training in Cali. Here he is with Levi Leipheimer of all people:

http://instagram.com/p/rDi4QbGsTd/

??? Why associate himself with Leipheimer? Doesn't look good.

Doesn't look as bad as being on a team run by Riis? or Vino?

From a PR point of view and to Clinic mad cycling fans, certainly a shady move by Froome....

Zing!!!

Agreed. But he knows how this works now. Look at the Tour last year. Why bother go training with a cheat, for the sake of an easier life?

When asked about Levi in the future .."Did you know Levi was a confirmed doper?" ....Mitchelle will say "No he didn't" ...while Froome will say "Not really, kinda...maybe ...not sure"

MPFG wrote: »
    When asked about Levi in the future .."Did you know Levi was a confirmed doper?" ....Mitchelle will say "No he didn't" ...while Froome will say "Not really, kinda...maybe ...not sure"

In his book he gives him a lot of credit for helping him get him where he is. I think. I think the relationship has been on going for a long time but not in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Time to re-subscribe to the Eurosport player so!:)

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

A lot of the scenery in the Vuelta looks like the moon so I don't really like that aspect.

However, the Vuelta is awesome no-holds barred ultimate cycling where normal rules don't apply :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Think Aru will go well. The team will be well motivated after TDF and he will want to stake his place in the team ahead of next year

Fair play to TG4 as well getting the Vuelta live everyday....some going in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I can't see anybody stopping Horner from retaining his title.

el tel wrote: »
    A lot of the scenery in the Vuelta looks like the moon so I don't really like that aspect.

However, the Vuelta is awesome no-holds barred ultimate cycling where normal rules don't apply :pac:

Really....loved places in 2013 like

Monte de Groba
    Cape Finisterre
    Alto de Penes Blancas
    L'Angliru

I will throw up if that happens tbh...

I will throw up if that happens tbh...

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Really....loved places in 2013 like

L'Angliru

Remember Nibali attacking Horner again and again in the mist on L'Angliru. That looked unreal. Amazing to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

quozl wrote: »
    Remember Nibali attacking Horner again and again in the mist on L'Angliru. That looked unreal. Amazing to watch.

It was the very definition of Epic in so many ways.

You serious? He has no chance in my opinion this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

quozl wrote: »
    Remember Nibali attacking Horner again and again in the mist on L'Angliru. That looked unreal.
    It was. An Extra-Terrestrial performance from Horner as they'd say in l'Equipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

logik wrote: »

I think your sarcasm detector is faulty.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »

No way I'm serious, he hasn't a hope!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I think your sarcasm detector is faulty.

Yes, it does seem to be off today :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

No way I'm serious, he hasn't a hope!

Unless he see's a good Dr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I was just about to start a thread.....great minds eh ??? :D

Vuelta is my favourite race of the year....The weather, scenery, MTFs, etc and of course always exciting racing

But this year with Froome, Quintana & Contador is looks uber exciting
    then there are Aru, J-Rod, VDB, Kelderman, Talansky, Valverde, D Martin Hesjedal, Uran, Evans, Sanchez, Moreno,etc

Possibly the most exciting line up in a long time....guys at the Vuelta organising committee must be wetting themselves

P.S. I forgot Chris Horner who is according to reports confident he can win again :eek:
    How can I get them all into my fantasy team ha!

Anyone have a link to fantasy team and which one are you all doing ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

stage 6 start could be an easy 1 to get to see not to far from Malaga airport

(BTW anyone know what your man Simon did to his neck before?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Really enjoyed last year's race and this one is all set up to be another step up.

Hopefully one person doesn't run away with it.

Anyone have a link to fantasy team and which one are you all doing ???

The Velogames Fantasy Cycling competition (the usual one we do) isn't set up yet. Nothing on their website, Twitter, Facebook yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

neris wrote: »

(BTW anyone know what your man Simon did to his neck before?)

His twitter says he did a faceplant while on a cross bike in the woods

No Mark Cavendish in Omega Pharma - Quick-Step's LaVuelta team: Uran, Boonen, Martin, Poels, Brambilla, Serry, Verona, Velits, Maes

• Advertisement
Advertisement