Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal document to state a person cant stay overnight??

• 09-05-2012 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is there an actual legal and legally binding document or piece of information to clarify the position on a single parent allowing their child to go on a sleep over to their friends house or a single parent staying overnight in another persons house.

Im not interested in all the usual stuff and mumbo jumbo about cohabiting,a deciding officer and what they deem and think.

I just want to know if there is a Social Welfare legal binding doccument or piece of information that STATES that a single parent CANNOT stay over in another persons house for 1 night,or that the child cannot go on a sleepover for a perent or a child to a friends house

If SW says no sleepovers are allowed,but such a doccument does not exist then surely this a breech of a single parents and childs HUMAN RIGHTS and under the Constitution,to actually have a normal existance and social life,aswell as being a single parent,and being a child of a single parent.

So where does it state that No stayover/sleeper over for a night???

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deedeepat

Where did you hear this ? of course your allowed to let your child have a sleepover have a guest to stay and you are also allowed to stay out overnight if you wish, do you mean a single parent or a prisoner ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

deedeepat wrote: »
    Where did you hear this ? of course your allowed to let your child have a sleepover have a guest to stay and you are also allowed to stay out overnight if you wish, do you mean a single parent or a prisoner ?

This is nothing to do with a prisioner

This is about single "parent"...and their rights.

These "so called rules" came from a senior SW Inspector/Officer.This particular inspector constantly claims that a a single parent will lose their OPF payment if the single parent stays 1 night in another persons house.

That has got to be a breech of a persons human rights,their rights to a normal life and also with regards the constitution of this country??

So Im determinded to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

I want to see actual written proof and legal binding SW documentation that STATES a single parent cannot stayover in another persons house for 1 night,or that a single parents child cannot have a sleepover in a friends house.

Does anyone here with any experience in this matter,have any written documentation/legal binding statement that clarifies this matter??

Im absolutely on a mission here and any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

VERY strange...

I doubt the legality of the situation would make much of a difference but maybe someone in the legal discussion forums would know better, as far as your benefits go if you've agreed to that rule or condition. I'm not sure what you're on a mission to do I can't imagine there would even be an issue with having your childs friend stay over, when people get caught is when its reported that an adult is living there, I would defiantly recheck the no guest rule or run it by citizens advice. It wouldnt surprise me if the CWO had a some awkward rules, I mean I heard once that a cwo was telling someone not to have a dog if they couldnt afford it so who knows.

Also I am familiar with the charter of childrens human rights and it jars with certain things here especially when it comes to what children are expected to have as social workers cannot make sure these are provided or religious freedoms and such so that charter doesnt seem to hold a lot of weight here beyond very basic needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

This is from the mouth of a senior SW Inspector who works on the OPF section in Dublin.This Inspector is well known,lets just say that.

This inspector stated and continues to state that a single parent CANNOT stay over in another persons house for 1 night,and that the single parent would have their OFP payment terminated immediately.

Now,Im on a mission here find out where it STATES this....(according to this Senior SW Inspector).I have trawled through the SW websites and welfare.ie and I cant find anything to state/say what the SW Inspector claims.

So I feel that this has to be of some breech of a single parents human rights to a normal life and also a breech of a persons rights under the Irish constitution.

Same with the child of a single parent too and their rights to a normal way of life.

If a "non parent" single person can stay in another persons house for 1 NIGHT,and not have any of this carry on/threats made,then why is a single parent singled out like this by the SW??

This has to be a breech of their human rights and a breech of their rights under the constitution?.

So I want to see the SW legal documentation that states that a single parent who gets the OFP payment CANNOT stay in another persons house for 1 night.

This is a very serious matter and every single parent out there should make an issue of this serious matter.

Is a single parent not allowed to go stay a night in a hotel or with a friend while their kids are babysat? That doesn't sound right at all.

And the kids, surely a single parent is allowed to send their kid on a sleepover, or a visit to family, without the parent in tow?

These are normal human activities and as long as they are not being abused (such as having grandparents looking after the kid 5 days a week while claiming OPF allowance) should not even be brought into question!

I think OP you had bad luck with one inspector, maybe even caught them on a bad day. You could easily go to Citizens Advice with the issues you outlined in this thread and get it investigated properly. I would advise taking this to them, they're always great in my experience, and if they don't know, they'll find out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement