Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fis and jsa

• 08-05-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭

Ok finally getting my head around this (eventually)....

My hubby is gonna apply for FIS in July (waiting times are crap i no), however
    in the mean time my jsb will run out in june so i am gonna apply for jsa, if he gets approved for FIS, can i keep my jsa if i get anything at all ? or does FIS cancel this out?..thats the only thing im unclear on now...
    thanks guys...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Why is your husband going to wait until July to apply for FIS?

If he has to wait for some reason, then you have two different situations. You can apply for Jobseekers regardless.

If your husband hasn't yet applied for FIS, then your Jobseekers claim will be treated as normal, and you can claim an increase in payment for him and your children. Your JA claim will of course be means tested.

Once your husband applies for FIS, you will have to amend your claim, but you can still continue to claim in your own right. You take him off your claim and claim only a half-rate for your children. The means test however is halved, so the amount that your husband earns results in less of a deduction.

You do need however to check the figures. Most times it works best with one partner claiming FIS and the other claiming Jobseekers, but not always. The calculation isn't straight forward as well given that they means test is calculated in different ways depending on whether he is on FIS or not. You'd be best phoning someone like the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed www.inou.ie 01 856 0088 or if you want to post details of how much husband is earning and how many kids you have, someone here could go through the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

we were going to wait because im still on jsb until end of june/early july, our
    2nd child is due end of june also , so just wanted all the details on the 1 form we are sending in as the waiting times are meant to be madness so would rather have all the info than having to resend it and i cant do anything until jsb ends, im just trying to get organised and suss out best options dont want to be stressing again no2 baby arrives.
    I was going to get jsa forms signed and sent so we have a chance of some money whilst waiting on fis, i now it will mean only putting our daughter on the form for the moment but i can ammend this when no2 arrives.

Hubby currently on pw after tax /usc etc.
    i "think i worked out fis correctly with 2 kids @ 85pw? jsa im unsure of, so if we do qualify do we say for example get the 85pw for him extra and "if" jsa approved i would get "X amount"...?

FIS take into account tax and usc, but unfortnately Jobseekers Allowance doesn't. How much is your husband's gross income, minus prsi, union dues and pension contributions?

id say about approx, reason being he has recently changed job and week 1 was emergency tax, week 2 had overtime so this week will be the first "normal week", he seems to be paying 35euro usc, he doesnt pay pension or anything just tax's and the usc

Before he applies for FIS you can include him on your claim. Jobseekers on those figures would be 81.60 (including 1 child)

You wouldn't be able to get FIS and Jobseekers Allowance on those earnings while you had one child, as the combined income from your Jobseekers and his work would push you over the 506 threshold.

But once the second child arrived, if he applied for FIS (and you would then adjust your Jobseekers claim) it would work out like this:

Your Jobseekers would be adjusted to: 87.30 Euro
    Husband FIS would be: 33 Euro
    Total social welfare payment: 120.20

If you just stuck with a Jobseekers claim instead of him applying for FIS you would get 111.40

• Advertisement

Before he applies for FIS you can include him on your claim. Jobseekers on those figures would be 81.60 (including 1 child)

You wouldn't be able to get FIS and Jobseekers Allowance on those earnings while you had one child, as the combined income from your Jobseekers and his work would push you over the 506 threshold.

But once the second child arrived, if he applied for FIS (and you would then adjust your Jobseekers claim) it would work out like this:

Your Jobseekers would be adjusted to: 87.30 Euro
    Husband FIS would be: 33 Euro
    Total social welfare payment: 120.20

If you just stuck with a Jobseekers claim instead of him applying for FIS you would get 111.40

ah thats brilliant thanks for working it out for me :), i will apply for jsa and send the bits in see how we get on, and when no2 arrives we will apply for FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 4homicide

Hi could someone please help me calculate and go through my details. I am married with one child and I am earning 330 gross per week (320 net), no tax, (USC around 8 euros and PRSI ee 2e do not have my pyslip at the moment) My wife has applied for Jobseeker's Allowance. Could i also apply for FIS?
    Thank You.

once ur wrking over 19hrs p/w u can also apply for FIS, waiting times are i think about 5-6mths but every bit helps,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For I leave a job and go straight into another job with the same pay and hours can I still keep Collecting the fis or do I have to re apply can anyone help me out thanks

Advertisement