Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on Maternity Leave- Need advice

Options
  • 07-05-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All,

First time poster here, this forum was recommended to me by a friend! Am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice or point me in the right direction?

Background- I work full time, I earn €40k per annum before tax, I have a young child, I live with her Dad and we rent privately. I have always worked, other than child benefit I have never had to claim anything from the state. My OH lost his job in the summer of 2010, he claimed JSB for almost a year whilst trying to set up his own online business, he then signed up to a back to work scheme or southside partner ship thing, which continued to pay the dole amount but supported him in trying to set up the business. He has now registered with the tax office as self employed but unfortunately the business is still not making any income. I have supported our family financially for the past 2 years which is fine, I know when it takes off the business will be flying.

I am currently pregnant and due to give birth this summer. My job does not pay maternity leave so I will only receive the maximum €262 pw from the state. As my oh is technically self employed he is not entitled to any benefits. My question is, is there any other benefits I could apply for to help us whilst I am on maternity leave. We have managed quite well but I am panicking because come this summer I will not be receiving my pay check every month and the bills obviously dont get put on hold until I return to work!!

Thanks in advance for any advice x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You can get family income support, and if you are renting you may qualify for rent allowance, also apply for a medical card.

If your partner is not earning then why doesnt he apply for jsa again, is his business making any money at all and if then then you both need to think about the immediate now and how you will afford a new baby

I find it shameful that employers dont pay maternity especially if they have long term good employees

congratulations OP hope the birth goes well and get form filling xx

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RetailChick

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I have no knowledge of this stuff at all! Would I need to wait until I go on Maternity leave before applying for FIS because from what I've read online my salary on it's own is higher than the normal allowance bracket for this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You can claim an increase in your Maternity Benefit for your partner and any children. The rate of Maternity Benefit is calculated as EITHER the rates given on the website, or the rate of Illness Benefit that would be payable, where this is higher. The rate for a couple with one child would be 342.60, and this would increase by another 29.80 once the second child is born.

This is probably easier than for him to claim Jobseekers Allowance, and results in the same amount of money.

If your regular income is above FIS threshold, then you just wait until you go on Mat Leave, and apply for FIS at that stage. Again, your FIS income should increase once the second child is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If your regular income is above FIS threshold, then you just wait until you go on Mat Leave, and apply for FIS at that stage. Again, your FIS income should increase once the second child is born.

If you apply while on maternity leave, they take your earnings as an average of the previous 42 weeks, so no good. if you have less than 609 euro per week for the 4 of you after baby is born, you can apply then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RetailChick

Sounds like I should wait until my baby is born before applying for FIS then.

Thanks for all the replys x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Fis takes about 6 months to come through. Make sure you apply early for mat benefit and get the increase for your partner.

Advertisement