Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query Regarding BTEA

Options
  • 07-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I finished an engineering degree back in 2007, wasn't on any benefits or any state help until this year when I became unemployed, got only small bits of temporary work here and there and on the dole for the past year by and large.

I am on the verge of getting accepted to study medicine, and wonder if I qualify for BTEA?

According to the documentation on citizens info I do qualify but someone said to me that because I have a previous degree I can't get it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I know about the whole "you have to be progressing to a higher level course" but doesn't that only apply if you already claimed BTEA for a previous course?

edit: I just found this..

Q3: Can I get the BTEA if I already have a third level qualification?
    A: If you already hold a third level undergraduate qualification, you can only apply for the BTEA to study an
    equivalent undergraduate course in exceptional circumstances. However, if you hold (e.g.) a Level 7 (Diploma or
    Ordinary Level Degree) qualification and wish to pursue a higher qualification, e.g. a Level 8 (Honours Degree)
    program, you may qualify. You should contact your local Social Welfare Office to see if you are eligible.

What is exceptional circumstances? I guess i'm now up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Unfortunately not since you have a primary degree in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

thanks for the reply, where can that information be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm not sure how accurate that 5 year claim is

I think you can forget "Free" fees but I don't see anything here about it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

But if you look here under 1.10

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx#1.15

The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Sappa wrote: »
    Unfortunately not since you have a primary degree in the last 5 years.

It doesn't matter if the course was completed in the last 5 years or not. Once you have a qualification at any level, you must be progressing in qualifications in order to qualify for BTEA.

I have heard of people with 3rd level degrees getting BTEA though.

The 'progression' clause is directed at people who already are on BTEA for previous courses though. isn't it? I have never claimed BTEA before.

Don't know why they can't make this more clear in the rules. Seems like a lot of smokescreens and mirrors..

• Advertisement

This is very explicit in the guidelines. The progression clause is for all participants of BTEA.
    The guidelines state:
    The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time. Reference should be made to the National Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3) e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5 qualification, they must be progressing to a level 6 qualification.
    It couldn't be any clearer in this circumstance. If you were progressing to to H.Dip or Grad. Dip. in Education you could be approved for BTEA, but not for a course at the same level you currently hold.

so what are the exceptional circumstances they refer to which allow you to get BTEA if you already hold a 3rd level degree?

The guidelines for BTEA can be found here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx
    These are basically the rules to be followed by SW staff when deciding on BTEA claims.
    There is no mention of exceptional circumstances in these guidelines. These guidelines were changed last year/year before last - previously it had been included that if your degree was no longer relevant then your application could be considered. This condition was then removed.

ok dokes, thanks for all the info.. guess the information from a few years ago muddied the waters, thanks for clearing it all up.

returning to education will be more painful than originally anticipated!

sorry to pester.. but are you aware of any grants/help I am entitled to in my circumstances?

• Advertisement
Advertisement