Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKCAT and HPAT

Options
  • 27-09-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Well! Thinking about medicine and was wondering if there was much difference between preparing for the UKCAT and HPAT.
    Considering going to uni in the north/scotland and most universities require you to sit the UKCAT say in 2015 for 2015 UCAS admissions (for going to uni in 2016). I'm not going to uni in 2016 so it doesn't really apply to me now!
    I want to keep UCD and Trinity in my options so would have to sit the HPAT as well.
    Has anyone sat both? Did they differ much or were they basically the same?
    Also, how early did you start preparing and when did you apply? Where would you recommend studying as well? What are you studying and how difficult did you find the HPAT/UKCAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

hi! so, I only sat the hpat last year (i didn't do the ukcat). However, I did practice ukcat exams online for free (DEFINITELY check them out) and i found that the two exams were similar in that they both put u]you under immense pressure. I personally thought the ukcat questions were easier but that there were more to do in less time! you have plenty of time so don't worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cloudy7654

Ah thank you! I was thinking they'd both be pretty similar :) I didn't want to be revising for two different exams along with the leaving if you know what I mean! But that's great to know, thank you so so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Haven't practised for the HPAT yet but my UKCAT is this week so obviously I'm working on that! I'm very good at verbal reasoning and decision analysis but tragic at quantitative reasoning.. the pressure is surreal (and I'm an A/B HL maths student). I'm using online tests and the 600Q book which is very good but a bit outdated (doesn't have 5th section). The Kaplan books and courses are meant to be good as well :) Try do it in summer when you have time to study.. I left it till now and i've no time :(

Also I'm applying to Queen's, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and then either Glasgow/St. Andrew's/KCL

If you end up with a v. bad or v.good UKCAT find out which unis are UKCAT hungry or which don't really care and base your choices on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

UPDATE : QR in the real exam is piss easy compared to the practice tests while VR and DA are considerably harder..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cloudy7654

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement