Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The hottest new drinking fad for this season is here!

• 12-02-2015 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

A new drinking craze among third-levels students requiring them to down a naggin of spirits has been condemned by the Union of Students in Ireland.

The ‘Sneaky Naggin’ game involves surprising a fellow student with a 200-millilitre bottle of cheap spirits, usually vodka or gin, during class and forcing them to drink it whole when they are next out.

USI Welfare officer Greg O’ Donoghue branded the game as “irresponsible”, saying that “no friend should encourage someone to drink that amount alone.”

“Consuming that level of alcohol is dangerous and it isn’t something that people should be encouraging their friends to do.”

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-sneaky-naggin-drinking-fad-pressures-students-to-drink-spirit-bottle-down-in-one-30987555.html

Top tip-instead of downing a vodka naggin and then projectile vomiting on yourself and others, perhaps you might consider improving the gene pool by repeatedly stabbing your reproductive organs with a rusty fork.

Sincerely yours,
    The human race.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

We've all done it at one stage or another.
    Student being students shocker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Ahh, the bright sparks of tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

All these fecking challenges annoy me more for the fact that it's such regimented organised "craic" rather than the amount of alcohol consumed.

Back in my day if you wanted to neck a pint or down a naggin you just got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Here's a crazy idea for a student drinking game - Moderation.

The top students know that getting so drunk you cannot remember the night isn't going to do much for your final grade. Or for your ability to cope with a big workload and project deliverables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Here's a crazy idea for a student drinking game - Moderation.

The top students know that getting so drunk you cannot remember the night isn't going to do much for your final grade. Or for your ability to cope with a big workload and project deliverables.

Yeah cause no one who drinks to excess ever does well in college :rolleyes:

If it's not the night before an exam then go for it!

• Advertisement

So wait, you get a free naggin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

We've all done it at one stage or another.
    Student being students shocker.

can't say that i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dónal wrote: »
    So wait, you get a free naggin?

Of lidl Vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Yeah cause no one who drinks to excess ever does well in college :rolleyes:

If it's not the night before an exam then go for it!

Your right, you will be working long enough, I spent four yrs in cork was only sober quarter of the time, a naggon is nothing shur its what students do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How do you force someone to drink something exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We used to do this in the late 80's. Except it was a half bottle of Bacardi necked between 2. Trick was to get past the bouncers on the door before it hit you. Still can't drink Bacardi to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

New drinking fad..?

OMG it's 2004 again!! It worked Marty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Whats to stop them from pouring the free naggin into an empty bottle, refill with water & neck that?

Still get free drink & no-one will be any the wiser/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

kneemos wrote: »
    Of lidl Vodka.

As opposed to the grey goose that most 18 year olds are drinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

How is that a "game"? It's just giving someone a naggin and asking them to drink it :confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lia_lia wrote: »
    How is that a "game"? It's just giving someone a naggin and asking them to drink it :confused:

But its the craic like

Don't tell us you're no craic

;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be honest, we've all gotten ourselves crazy drunk at some point. But downing a bottle of spirits in one go is so stupid. As said above you will puke. Doesnt matter if you can hold alcohol or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I say let them at it, they'll only harm themselves..... hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Wouldn't do it now but I downed many a naggin back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Top tip-instead of downing a vodka naggin and then projectile vomiting on yourself and others, perhaps you might consider improving the gene pool by repeatedly stabbing your reproductive organs with a rusty fork.

Sincerely yours,
    The human race.

This is a fad I hope never catches on. Stop with this shìte of speaking as though you're speaking on behalf of the human race, or that "weep for humanity" shìte.

Go "bants" somewhere else ffs! :mad:

Sorry Boring Username, that one had been building up a while, now pass me that naggin, I need a drink! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Go to college. Get a job. Learn the jargon. Going forward, make sure you're managing your project deliverables.

Absolute. Yes boss. Coffee? A week or ten days. Time in lieu. Tax, tax, tax. Responsibility. Taking yourself too seriously.

Young. Stupid. Learning. Growing. Go to college. Get a job. Learn the jargon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Go to college. Get a job. Learn the jargon. Going forward, make sure you're managing your project deliverables.

Absolute. Yes boss. Coffee? A week or ten days. Time in lieu. Tax, tax, tax. Responsibility. Taking yourself too seriously.

Young. Stupid. Learning. Growing. Go to college. Get a job. Learn the jargon.

Or take to the weed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Back in my day if you wanted to neck a pint or down a naggin you just got on with it.

And anybody who made a real big deal about drinking, were usually the ones you had to carry home at the end of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

hynesie08 wrote: »
    As opposed to the grey goose that most 18 year olds are drinking?

That made me laugh. God I remember wetting myself 7 times after 2 Tesco naggins. I should be a in a drink aware ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Meh. Used do worse when I was younger. I have fond memories of drinking a bottle of aftershock, walking to the disco. Something something waking up in a ditch. It's called being young. No way would I do it now, few pints, the Fire, and a good chat is all I want now.

Another non news story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Of lidl Vodka.

Lidl don't sell Naggin's. The smallest unit they sell is 500ml for 13.99, and it's excellent vodka. Their 'cheaper' vodka, at 12.99 for 700ml, is also pretty decent, much better than that Tesco Imperial/Dunnes Kinsey crap which is actually more expensive.

Back on topic, I believe what you were looking for is 'Glen's Vodka'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Of lidl Vodka.

Whats wrong with Lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Always wonder where students get the cash to buy a bottle of booze, even cheap. They're always broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

That made me laugh. God I remember wetting myself 7 times after 2 Tesco naggins. I should be a in a drink aware ad.

7 times? Sweet mother of jaysus, you must have squelched like a farmers welly all the way home!

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Always wonder where students get the cash to buy a bottle of booze, even cheap. They're always broke.

Parents, grant, job?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reminds me of watching the brother doing his Neck Nomination video last year or whenever it was. Full bottle of After Shock poured into two glasses by his own personal bar man/best friend. Down in one, then t'other. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

What student in their right mind would have the extra money for a naggin - then buy a naggin - and then give it away? :confused: Are students richer these days or something?

Can't see this one catching on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Goodness gracious me!
    Next they'll be smoking hashish and protesting against the man

What student in their right mind would have the extra money for a naggin - then buy a naggin - and then give it away? :confused: Are students richer these days or something?

Can't see this one catching on ...

€5.50?

Seriously, where do people think we live? Some impoverished African colony from the 19th century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

An File wrote: »
    Reminds me of watching the brother doing his Neck Nomination video last year or whenever it was. Full bottle of After Shock poured into two glasses by his own personal bar man/best friend. Down in one, then t'other. Scary stuff.

How was the funeral?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

cloud493 wrote: »
    How do you force someone to drink something exactly?

Water board them, with vodka.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pyr0 wrote: »
    How was the funeral?

The story goes he made himself throw up as soon as the lads stopped the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

€5.50?

Seriously, where do people think we live? Some impoverished African colony from the 19th century?

I'm a working professional in a decent job with a pension and all those grown up things, and €5.50 is still a lot of money to me!

Certainly more than I'd spend just to look "cool" on Facebook for participating in the latest fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Wouldn't do it now but I downed many a naggin back in the day
    6 Seconds was my record back in 1990. Grant's Vodka the tipple of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lidl don't sell Naggin's. The smallest unit they sell is 500ml for 13.99, and it's excellent vodka. Their 'cheaper' vodka, at 12.99 for 700ml, is also pretty decent, much better than that Tesco Imperial/Dunnes Kinsey crap which is actually more expensive.

Back on topic, I believe what you were looking for is 'Glen's Vodka'.

Won't comment on the 500ml stuff from Lidl as I haven't tried it. The bigger 700ml bottle however is just horrible, tesco much less of a taste.
    The best vodka, should be almost tasteless.

• Advertisement

I'm a working professional in a decent job with a pension and all those grown up things, and €5.50 is still a lot of money to me!

Certainly more than I'd spend just to look "cool" on Facebook for participating in the latest fad.

It's probably because they don't have those adult responsibilities that they can afford to buy alcohol. In all likelihood they cut back in other areas too, like food and clothing.

I'm with you on the thought of giving away a naggin being appalling. But let's not pretend we don't live in a wealthy country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You're not meant to do this in class no? TBH a couple of pints really helped Jurisprudence make sense yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In my day we didn't get pished for the craic.

It was a choice between Jeremy Beadle on telly, watching Four Weddings And A Funeral in a crappy cinema drinking Mc Daids Banana or coping a half bottle of brandy into yourself and waking up in a shuck.

Kids today rabble rabble etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

In my day we didn't get pished for the craic.

It was a choice between Jeremy Beadle on telly, watching Four Weddings And A Funeral in a crappy cinema drinking Mc Daids Banana or coping a half bottle of brandy into yourself and waking up in a shuck.

Kids today rabble rabble etc.

I didn't understand any of that!

Frynge wrote: »
    I didn't understand any of that!
    Young wans today don't know they're living.

Speaking of kids, some snotty nosed wet behind the ears work experience yahoo has put Top Gun on the Comedy Channel! The Comedy Channel!!

At least its in HD I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Speaking of kids, some snotty nosed wet behind the ears work experience yahoo has put Top Gun on the Comedy Channel! The Comedy Channel!!

You would swear you were in your late 60s to be listening to you :rolleyes:

eternal wrote: »
    You would swear you were in your late 60s to be listening to you :rolleyes:
    I feel it sometimes for all the scowling I have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I don't think I'm that young as in the late 90's I accomplished a naggin of vodka in 11 seconds and a naggin of jack in 8.

Different sittings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I feel it sometimes for all the scowling I have to do.

Nobody asked you to scowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

6 Seconds was my record back in 1990. Grant's Vodka the tipple of choice.

Not sure what my record was but it would have been under 10 seconds followed by a can to wash it down

• Advertisement
Advertisement