Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Militants kill 2,000 people in Nigeria in one attack

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I have yet to see anyone defend extremism. How does boko haram killing 2000 people have anything to do with racism? Some people just have to peddle their agenda.

For example, Angela Merkel was on her new years day address critical of Pegida, who since September were warning about Islamic extremism and the dangers. She wanted it to be pigeonholed as a racist, hate organisation, and to ignore the concerns of the middle ground.

Prior to the attacks a few days ago, there have been consistent increases reported in the number of Jewish people leaving France, either to the UK or Israel, due to the massive increase in anti-Jewish violence in france in 2014.

Up until now, the lead media has lead the doctrine of passive acceptance. So, this is what I was referring to. Irish media can be excluded as it is generally of little consequence and not investigative. When people now read of the 2000 dead in a massacre, and 2 days earlier four Jewish people were executed in Paris, a day prior 12 journalists executed. All by violent extremists done in the name of Islam, MOhammad or whoever.

The largest threat to democracy now and for the future in europe, is the latent presence of Islamic extremists. It is the new Nazism, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What brave soldiers Boko Haram are.

When I read about this earlier, the report said the majority if those killed were men.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

France is much closer to Ireland than Nigeria, hence French events get more coverage.
    At a guess, far more Irish people live in Paris than Nigeria.

That would be a big factor

Yes Paris is about 500 miles away and Nigeria much further and France is really a neighbouring country, unlike Nigeria.

But sometimes things like Twink's dog makes more news coverage than much more serious and devastating events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

dissed doc wrote: »
    For example, Angela Merkel was on her new years day address critical of Pegida, who since September were warning about Islamic extremism and the dangers. She wanted it to be pigeonholed as a racist, hate organisation, and to ignore the concerns of the middle ground.

Prior to the attacks a few days ago, there have been consistent increases reported in the number of Jewish people leaving France, either to the UK or Israel, due to the massive increase in anti-Jewish violence in france in 2014.

Up until now, the lead media has lead the doctrine of passive acceptance. So, this is what I was referring to. Irish media can be excluded as it is generally of little consequence and not investigative. When people now read of the 2000 dead in a massacre, and 2 days earlier four Jewish people were executed in Paris, a day prior 12 journalists executed. All by violent extremists done in the name of Islam, MOhammad or whoever.

The largest threat to democracy now and for the future in europe, is the latent presence of Islamic extremists. It is the new Nazism, IMO.

Im still not seeing

"Im against religious extremism!" Youre a racist.
    or
    How boko haram have anything to do with racism. They are a group who are against the state schools and want faith schools so go around kidnapping girls from schools and shooting up towns. Unless it is white liberals sending them in there, something which I doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Im still not seeing

or
    How boko haram have anything to do with racism. They are a group who are against the state schools and want faith schools so go around kidnapping girls from schools and shooting up towns. Unless it is white liberals sending them in there, something which I doubt.

Yes that is it. People are quite free and quick to criticise christian extremism, or Jewish extremism but the Islamic Defence Force stops any criticism of Islam, like the Sony Defence Force used to be on when anyone criticised the Playstation 2.

Now, think back to recent major religious events> the endless criticism of Israel and "Zionism" in the summer also in the Irish media, the endless endless criticism of the "bible thumping" christian americans, ridiculed as being primitive and unenlightened. Now, criticise the Islamic extremists and more often than not, you will be labelled as a racist.

We have recently seen the media in ireland avoids tackling the issue with the same gusto that they lay into with Christians or Jews. I say, let rip with the criticism of Islam for the violence, in the same way people let rip at Christianity for the abortion/paedophilia, or Jews with the actions of Israel. Fair is fair. Bokom Haram is a militant Islamic jihadist movement, it is exactly the equivalent of why people are so quick to jump down the throats of Christians or Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not even one story reported on sky news as of yet. I guess a dozen french people dying is more interesting than 2000 poor people dying :mad:

I heard about this - on sky news, 2 nights ago.

Yes that is it. People are quite free and quick to criticise christian extremism, or Jewish extremism but the Islamic Defence Force stops any criticism of Islam, like the Sony Defence Force used to be on when anyone criticised the Playstation 2.

Who is the Islamic Defence Force? You look at a christian or Jew funny and you'll have them complaining about being oppressed and religious freedom so I have no idea where you are getting that from.
    Now, think back to recent major religious events> the endless criticism of Israel and "Zionism" in the summer also in the Irish media, the endless endless criticism of the "bible thumping" christian americans, ridiculed as being primitive and unenlightened. Now, criticise the Islamic extremists and more often than not, you will be labelled as a racist.

Israel and Judaism are different things. A person can criticise UKs actions without being anti Christian.

What has the Irish media said about Christian Americans?
    We have recently seen the media in ireland avoids tackling the issue with the same gusto that they lay into with Christians or Jews. I say, let rip with the criticism of Islam for the violence, in the same way people let rip at Christianity for the abortion/paedophilia, or Jews with the actions of Israel. Fair is fair.

I have no idea what you are talking about anymore. You keep going on about what people say about Christians and Jews while protecting Muslims. Most of the time when people try to treat them all equally people are attempting to defend the Christians and Jews! Its always thats different.

I still dont see what this has to do with Boko Haram. You havent even said anything about them killing 2000 people, instead you complain about ****ing liberals!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes Paris is about 500 miles away and Nigeria much further and France is really a neighbouring country, unlike Nigeria.

But sometimes things like Twink's dog makes more news coverage than much more serious and devastating events.

I think that's kind of understandable in a way...if all we saw in the news was mans inhumanity to man then it would be incredibly depressing and soul-crushing. Sometimes we need the trivial or amusing to balance out all the darkness.

And I know that, yes some people are misfortunate in having to actually live through that darkness and suffer at the hands of inhumane people but we only have so long to live, is it wrong to try and do so in as happy a manner as possible?

I posted on one of the Charlie Hebdo threads that we are lucky to live where we do. As much as Ireland has faults, in comparison to others we have it pretty good and we shouldn't be ashamed of that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not even one story reported on sky news as of yet. I guess a dozen french people dying is more interesting than 2000 poor people dying :mad:
    When most of the world media you will see is controlled by the white man, you'll mainly see issues that affect the white man. As sad as this is, its the truth.

This may not even break news on television, only through online sources. Its a very ignorant attitude to have tbh, but if it doesn't generate a story that they can keep running and keep people interested in, they won't bother.
    Im still not seeing

or
    I honestly don't see how racism has anything to do with any of this tbh. Its out and out bigotry mixed with a touch of genocide and power struggle. It doesn't matter which of these extremist groups are promoting and carrying out these utterly idiotic attacks, they're still doing it in the name of one thing, religion and religious values.

It begs the question: if religion didn't exist, would these things still happen but for a different reason, and that the people scum doing this are just bad to the core?

colossus-x wrote: »
    I heard about this - on sky news, 2 nights ago.

Me too, I saw it on bbc.co.uk several days ago but the reports were unconfirmed and there were few facts to establish what exactly happened.

As regards Boko Haram, people are right to say you can't blame all muslims for happened. I think most humans want to live their lives in peace and happiness and muslims are just the same as christians, hindus, atheists and all the rest in this regard.

What I think needs to be examined is, does the set of ideas enshrined in islam foster the kind of attitudes that leads to Boko Haram, Isil, Al-Qaeda etc. It would seem that the Koran is more easily twisted to these kind of ideologies than the new testament for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You know there are new Nazis. They're called Neo Nazi's (that's what Neo means. From the greek for new and young).

You know them. They have big marches. They're Germans. They hate a Semitic minority. They blame societies ills on them. They claim that this minority is secretly undermining Germany. They want them out of their country. they attack their places of worship and eventually they'll try to set up extermination camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately the strife of regular folks in Africa gets hardly any press in the West. Particularly when its can deemed sensitive/religious, as western media are scared ****less of getting labelled phobic by left.

I've been banging on about Sudan, Nigeria and Congo but no-one knows or cares much about these conflicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

biko wrote: »
    Unfortunately the strife of regular folks in Africa gets hardly any press in the West. Particularly when its can deemed sensitive/religious, as western media are scared ****less of getting labelled phobic by left.

And you certainly wont read any articles on how western oil companies have raped Nigeria of it's natural resources causing many of the country's problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Until Saudi Arabia and Qatar and their wahhabi'ism sect of Islam is destroyed then this type of thing will only become more and more commonplace. Secular and peaceful Europe will turn en-masse over to the Far-Right as more of these type events occur and sadly I think this massacre in Nigeria and the destruction in France is not the last we will see of these Jihadists.

When it states in your religion that you have a duty to kill the infidel then it wont go away. I personally think that Islam should be banned in the name of Religious tolerance because a religion that treats women like second class citizens, preaches the killing of innocents is not a religion but a movement of hate and should not be given the protection other peaceful relgions are given.

And you certainly wont read any articles on how western oil companies have raped Nigeria of it's natural resources causing many of the country's problems.

I read an article just yesterday about how Nigerian families were being compensated for oil spills caused by shell.

We have recently seen the media in ireland avoids tackling the issue with the same gusto that they lay into with Christians or Jews. I say, let rip with the criticism of Islam for the violence, in the same way people let rip at Christianity for the abortion/paedophilia, or Jews with the actions of Israel. Fair is fair. Bokom Haram is a militant Islamic jihadist movement, it is exactly the equivalent of why people are so quick to jump down the throats of Christians or Jews.

Bokon Haran are ****s. There's no denying that. They are complete scum.
    I don't like the lords resistance army either. But then again who does.

The only problem arises when people label every Muslim because of the actions of these guys. Just as Christianity isn't representative by the LRA.

For what it matters, I think religion is rubbish. All of it. I think people who try to inflict their religious believes on others are idiots.

But I don't think most people who defend islam are ignoring the sins of others. The so called "liberals" condemn bigotry and hatred wherever it occurs. And that's quite fair. However a lot of the criticism aimed at Muslims is a blanket criticism. If someone says that all Muslims are evil because of the actions of a few, or if they criticise Muslims but only Muslims, I think that's got some racist undertones.

entropi wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how racism has anything to do with any of this tbh. Its out and out bigotry mixed with a touch of genocide and power struggle. It doesn't matter which of these extremist groups are promoting and carrying out these utterly idiotic attacks, they're still doing it in the name of one thing, religion and religious values.

It begs the question: if religion didn't exist, would these things still happen but for a different reason, and that the people scum doing this are just bad to the core?

Probably a mix. Some people are just ***** regardless but if you are being taught something all your life you will believe it. Certain groups of Islam are a lot worse than others As we can see with parts of Christianity over the past decades with education people do eventually learn to pick and choose which parts they follow. A Christian or Muslim from Ireland would tend to be a lot more progressive than one from some African, South American or Middle East countries. Both following the same book but taught it in a different manner.

Often the least secular a country is the more backwards laws it will have. Of course there are exceptions in all of this but if you look at lists of the most religious countries and least religious countries there tends to be a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Grayson wrote: »
    Bokon Haran are ****s. There's no denying that. They are complete scum.
    I don't like the lords resistance army either. But then again who does.

The only problem arises when people label every Muslim because of the actions of these guys. Just as Christianity isn't representative by the LRA.

For what it matters, I think religion is rubbish. All of it. I think people who try to inflict their religious believes on others are idiots.

But I don't think most people who defend islam are ignoring the sins of others. The so called "liberals" condemn bigotry and hatred wherever it occurs. And that's quite fair. However a lot of the criticism aimed at Muslims is a blanket criticism. If someone says that all Muslims are evil because of the actions of a few, or if they criticise Muslims but only Muslims, I think that's got some racist undertones.

I'm with you. I think all religion is nonsense. People fighting wars and hating each other over some non existent diety. I would love to live in a country who inhabitants valued reason and logic and not superstitious nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

why isn't this being covered the same as Paris? I know one poster mentioned that the media focuses more on whats going in their neck of the woods but still this is horrific.

Probably a mix. Some people are just ***** regardless but if you are being taught something all your life you will believe it. Certain groups of Islam are a lot worse than others As we can see with parts of Christianity over the past decades with education people do eventually learn to pick and choose which parts they follow. A Christian or Muslim from Ireland would tend to be a lot more progressive than one from some African, South American or Middle East countries. Both following the same book but taught it in a different manner.

Often the least secular a country is the more backwards laws it will have. Of course there are exceptions in all of this but if you look at lists of the most religious countries and least religious countries there tends to be a pattern.

Look at Russia where you can't drive a car if you're gay. Like the other thread title says it's turning into a Christian Saudi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Russian situation is occuring because of that little twerp Putin and his macho image he likes to promote. That is the only reason. Nothing religious about it imo. Its small man syndrome at a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Looks like it'll have to be the doughboys of First Recon, as usual. Who knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I read an article just yesterday about how Nigerian families were being compensated for oil spills caused by shell.

That's different to what I said. Its really the least the oil companies can do.

Look at Russia where you can't drive a car if you're gay. Like the other thread title says it's turning into a Christian Saudi.

Some links I found interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country - Lots of ****holes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country - Many ****holes, some ok, quite a few of the ok countries would still be seen a a bit backward but at least you arent being killed,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism_by_country - Still a few ****holes, the better countries would be more progressive
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country - I wouldnt really be planning any holidays to the most religious countries. Some of the communist or former communist countries wouldnt be very religious but they have been having an increase in religion like Russia.

Something I have learnt is that most countries are ****holes I would rather avoid.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Russian situation is occuring because of that little twerp Putin and his macho image he likes to promote. That is the only reason. Nothing religious about it imo. Its small man syndrome at a national level.

It's a separate thread but religion is involved. the orthodox church is very anti gay and has been pushing for this stuff. Putin jumped on the band wagon because it's a popular move. And it's a popular move because of the church.

Something I have learnt is that most countries are ****holes I would rather avoid.

And Texas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Part of the problem in this situation is the lack of reporters either local or foreign on the ground in this area. Also the Nigerian government initially denied that the attack had taken place and then downplayed the numbers that had been killed or displaced.

The Nigerian government seems unwilling or unable to counter the Boko Haram threat despite the fact that an Army base was overran in the Baga attack which now leaves Borno state almost under the complete control of Boko Haram.

This article from Nigeria's News Express website details what was initially claimed to be a victory for Nigerian Forces which in reality turned out to be the opposite.

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=8954&title=Boko-Haram-suffers-heavy-defeat-in-surprise-attack-on-military-base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Paris will inevitably get more coverage because it's familiar. France is our next door neighbour. We've practically all been there, know French people, and it's culturally, physically and linguistically very very close to Ireland.
    I've walked those streets. I know what Paris looks, feels and smells like.

The attack was also directly on the media and was about threatening journalists to keep them inline.

This attack is horrific too and extremely shocking. One horrendous event after another this January. It's really turning into a dismal year.

2000 people is an act of war never mind terrorism!
    RIP to all those people and condolences to the tens of thousands that will be indirectly impacted by this.

These guys are inflicting misery on vast numbers of people and will cause humanitarian and refugee crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And Texas :)

Texas is the greatest nation on Earth, boy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Its amazing the lack of coverage this is getting in comparison to the Paris attacks. Surely it should be propelled to the same platform.

No. It's a problem for Nigeria and their neighbours to sort. I'm interested in news from Europe and countries like the States and Canada.

Advertisement