Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving over ramps

Options
  • 01-08-2013 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

When going over ramps on a road I know that you slow down going over them. however, my driving instructor said that i should be going down to second gear before the ramp and then back in to third gear in between, this seems excessive on a long road with many ramps that are not very far apart, it is like a constant gear changing exercise to me. The car seems to operate fine going along the road in third gear the whole way but still slowing down for approaching/going over the ramp.

would love to hear what others have been told or what other instructors on here advise.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

My whole estate is full of ramps and so are many of the roads I've been practicing on and my instructor has never told me to change gears, just to ease of the gas and tap the break if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been told to drop gear when going over the ramp and go back up to third if the car can reach it for the test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

It depends on a number of factors.

The type of ramp
    The severity of the ramp
    The distance between the ramps

Some ramps need to be driven over in 2nd. Some can be done in 3rd. Very few can be done in 4th but it is possible in the correct circumstances.

2nd would be the most common gear used. It's often best to slow down on the approach by easing off the gas on the approach. Gradually going back on the gas gently as you are half way over it, steadily increasing speed until you ease off again on approach to the next one.

Use common sense. Don't hit them too hard. It MAY be possible to get up to 3rd and back down to 2nd between them but it does depend on the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

one thing to remember with ramps, and it can go a long way in 'smoothing out' the ramp, and might allow you not change down if its borderline- always make sure you're not hitting the ramp while under braking! what this does is makes sure, when you come off the brakes, your suspension rises to normal levels and action, and can take the ramp much smoother, thus allowing a smoother ride, which is the ultimate goal of driver and tester. the ramp will have done its job of slowing you, giving time to react to any hazards, and you've moved smoothly over it also!
    job done!

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

DriversEd wrote: »
    one thing to remember with ramps, and it can go a long way in 'smoothing out' the ramp, and might allow you not change down if its borderline- always make sure you're not hitting the ramp while under braking! what this does is makes sure, when you come off the brakes, your suspension rises to normal levels and action, and can take the ramp much smoother, thus allowing a smoother ride, which is the ultimate goal of driver and tester. the ramp will have done its job of slowing you, giving time to react to any hazards, and you've moved smoothly over it also!
    job done!

Ed
    I'd add a little to that just for clarity.
    When you brake, especially if you brake hard, the front of the car dips down and more pressure is put on the front wheels.
    If you hit the ramp while doing this, the wheels hit the ramp harder and the car gets quite a jolt.
    If you slow down sufficiently just before the ramp, then let off the brakes, the front of the car will lift up, easing pressure off the front wheels and the car will glide over the ramp more smoothly.

Some ramps are not round and have a raised edge. For these you have to really slow down and probably go to second gear in order to not risk your suspension. Let the car roll over gently and dont hard accelerate away as they are there for a reason

• Advertisement
Advertisement