Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pavee point in common sense shocker!

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it's more to do with indoctrination in travellers. Traveller women are considered third class citizens within their own culture. The only way they can elevate themselves class is by getting married and having kids. A traveller woman knows that if her daughter acts outside the rules she will be treated badly by her community so they encourage their daughters to follow in their image. It's hard not to have sympathy for most traveller women.

Yeah but actually traveller women will actually engage in education much more. You goto any traveller community project around the country - they find it fairly easy to engage traveller women but not so easy to engage traveller men.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd be interested to know if you know any openly gay travellers. I met one before and his community didn't seem to know how to deal with him. Some were hostile to him but many just seemed to work on a don't ask don't tell policy. They'd all just pretend he was straight.

To be fair things are changing in the travelling community and there is an lgbt pavee group.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

Yeah but actually traveller women will actually engage in education much more. You goto any traveller community project around the country - they find it fairly easy to engage traveller women but not so easy to engage traveller men.

Traveller men seem a lot more entrenched in the backwards aspects of their culture. There is enormous pressure on them to conform to a certain stereotype of a man, and education has no place in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    At least you admit you're just making it up.

i haven't admitted anything of the sort because i'm not making anything up
    I would imagine you have no real life experience of dealing with travellers, especially when they are causing problems.

i have. however the fact is there is bad people in the world both traveler and non traveler. i don't use my experiences to judge a whole community, i'm not gullible like that.
    This inflexible extreme left wing at all costs attitude really undermines your argument.

no it doesn't, as there is no inflexible extreme, or any kind of left wing at all costs attitude from me. so it doesn't undermine anything as its non existant apart from in your head.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

i haven't admitted anything of the sort because i'm not making anything up

i have. however the fact is there is bad people in the world both traveler and non traveler. i don't use my experiences to judge a whole community, i'm not gullible like that.

no it doesn't, as there is no inflexible extreme, or any kind of left wing at all costs attitude from me. so it doesn't undermine anything as its non existant apart from in your head.

It's the same nonsense day in, day out with you. Every thing you don't have an answer for "doesn't exist".

Advertisement