Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taisce blocks improvements of lethal road in Kerry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

floggg wrote: »
    Listen, less of your sensible, objective, evidence based and factual posts please.

People are trying to get outraged here. There's no time to establish the facts in this case, or come to informed views on the matter - there's pitch forks to brandish and mobs to form!

Yeah! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

The hairpin bends seem to be the main factor, which is why they were due to be replaced. I can't comment on every accident that occurs since I wasn't a witness to any of them. Only last September an American tourist was killed at one of these notorious bends:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tourist-fights-for-life-after-three-die-on-roads-30583880.html

Two things .. that accident did not occur in the hairpin bends

And what I was told is that the tourist turned onto the main road and drove on the wrong side (happens all the time on the peninsula).

Not taking away the importance of an upgrade though (I hate these bends)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...The only support I have actually seen in print or online is from a Dutch national who has moved to Dingle...
    Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

The legal challenge by an Taisce will be fast tracked by the Commercial court-hopefully there will be a quick result:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/challenge-to-controversial-65m-kerry-road-widening-scheme-to-be-fasttracked-by-the-commercial-court-30977667.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Graces7 wrote: »
    speed, bad driving.. I was to carrantouil last week and on that road I paused to read a sign and got blasted and almost hit by a woman driving far too close.. then when I started turning off a kid in a car slid past on the nearside. parts of the disputed road even have cycle paths now

Pausing on a National road to read a sign? Yea that does sound like bad driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This

Also it's a pretty safe bet that almost half our roads are more dangerous than the national average.
    :D

But on a more serious note, i believe that the section of road in particular has a much, much higher accident rate than the average for the type of road it is, from talking to a council official last night.

I would drive that section of road a good few times each year and it's the one road i drive on that i absolutely abhor. It surely must be upgraded from a health and safety perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What about the dangerous road round Slea Head - shouldn't that be 'improved' too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:D

But on a more serious note, i believe that the section of road in particular has a much, much higher accident rate than the average for the type of road it is, from talking to a council official last night.

I would drive that section of road a good few times each year and it's the one road i drive on that i absolutely abhor. It surely must be upgraded from a health and safety perspective.
    It's already been said that it's twice as dangerous as average. So not mega dangerous. And judging by the comments people who use the road are generally aware of the danger.

Most collisions are caused by driver error. If there is a black spot then good warning signs and safety cameras (if speeding is an issue) are something that could be done tomorrow. Visible Garda presence should get people to drive more safely. Roadside checks for valid driving license, insurance, motor tax and insurance , especially at night/weekends / closing time might remove some miscreants if it was felt that there was an issue there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's already been said that it's twice as dangerous as average. So not mega dangerous. And judging by the comments people who use the road are generally aware of the danger.

Most collisions are caused by driver error. If there is a black spot then good warning signs and safety cameras (if speeding is an issue) are something that could be done tomorrow. Visible Garda presence should get people to drive more safely. Roadside checks for valid driving license, insurance, motor tax and insurance , especially at night/weekends / closing time might remove some miscreants if it was felt that there was an issue there.

But are the people living there and driving that road not as entitled to a safe road as every other person in the country? Grand, increase Garda presence but long term the only feasible solution would have to be a better road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What about the dangerous road round Slea Head - shouldn't that be 'improved' too?
    It was. The road was widened in some places between Ventry and the road to Coumeenole and then the stretch from Coumeenole to near the slip at Dúnchaoin was moved inland and widened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement