Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts

Options
  • 07-08-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hiya!

Just had to post this... I'm sick of being "overtaken" at roundabouts... There is (or was) a great ad on TV on the rules to follow when arriving at a roundabout - clearly nobody paid attention or people just constantly ignore the basic driving rules...

If there are no markings on the road that specify the possible destinations depending on the lane you are on, you are supposed to use the left lane to go left and straight and the right lane to go right… Why do people go on the right lane and then continue straight? I’m doing the right thing going on the left lane and suddenly have to put my foot on the brake to let the maggot who is coming from the right lane pass and avoid an accident… I’m just sick of it…

This is just an example of bad driving anyway. Every day I see hundreds of things that could easily be the reason for a fine. Where are the Gardai? The government could make billions every year (instead of increasing the taxes and cutting on expenditure).

We’ll talk another day about cyclists and their divine right to do whatever they want on the road. They’re just above good and evil and you can’t fine them, ha, ha…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

I see this every day, approaching a roundabout where there are two lanes, there's a queue in the left lane so without fail someone will use the right lane and take the first exit, effectively skipping the queue and risking an accident. I usually do my best to get ahead of them before they can overtake me, just because it bugs the hell out of me. Probably not the smartest move but I can't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

unclevass wrote: »
    Why do people go on the right lane and then continue straight? I’m doing the right thing going on the left lane and suddenly have to put my foot on the brake to let the maggot who is coming from the right lane pass and avoid an accident… I’m just sick of it…
    well, first thing up is that its idiotic to have a system which relies solely on road markings that may be worn away or unreadable due to dirt/ light/ snow/ rain etc.

But to answer the question, when there's a healthy queue on the left lane(possibly caused by congestion on the first exit?) and the right lane is free and far in advance of a junction there's no road markings, then someone not aware of the layout of the upcoming roundabout layout which the council cannot take the effort to notify in advance on a proper mounted sign, well - it should be expected that people end up in the right hand lane as theres no concrete advance indication that its the wrong thing to do.

Also, on a dual carraigeway with a roundabout its normal enough that the right hand lane is for straight on as there'd be 2 exit lanes. So anyone unfamiliar with an area might just presume this is the case on some roundabouts on dual carraigeways and get caught out by the last minute road markings (or lack of them) which then indicate that the right lane is for right turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Roundabouts are a rarity for many drivers. Throw in the unorthodox nature of some and chaos ensues. In Kerry you have to use the right lane to go straight through. It actuall works pretty well.

By Cork Airport there is a four lane roundabout. Rural driver not used to one lane roundabouts nevermind two are faced with four lanes :eek: You sorta get into the habit of expecting random sudden lane changing, random breaking and downright dangerous stuff. I hate the RSA but there phrase "Expect the Unexpected" is most true on roundabouts. Ive seen people stop to let people off on them, stop, yield to traffic when they are already on it. Just dont hit anyone, play by the rules, and watch for idiots trying to hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Roundabouts are a rarity for many drivers. Throw in the unorthodox nature of some and chaos ensues. In Kerry you have to use the right lane to go straight through. It actuall works pretty well.

By Cork Airport there is a four lane roundabout. Rural driver not used to one lane roundabouts nevermind two are faced with four lanes :eek: You sorta get into the habit of expecting random sudden lane changing, random breaking and downright dangerous stuff. I hate the RSA but there phrase "Expect the Unexpected" is most true on roundabouts. Ive seen people stop to let people off on them, stop, yield to traffic when they are already on it. Just dont hit anyone, play by the rules, and watch for idiots trying to hit you.
    but in Kilarney theres the odd roundabout where the right lane is for turning right (toward a back lane toward the country side so eternally empty) and the left lane is left for town or straight on down the national primary road.

The roundabouts in cork are another kettle of fish!
    They really need some class of overhead gantry there as (again) relying on road markings just isnt good enough and is only asking for trouble.
    Road markings give NO advance warning so you only know what the right or wrong lane is when you are in it (or not in it as the case may be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

but in Kilarney theres the odd roundabout where the right lane is for turning right (toward a back lane toward the country side so eternally empty) and the left lane is left for town or straight on down the national primary road.

The roundabouts in cork are another kettle of fish!
    They really need some class of overhead gantry there as (again) relying on road markings just isnt good enough and is only asking for trouble.
    Road markings give NO advance warning so you only know what the right or wrong lane is when you are in it (or not in it as the case may be)

True. The all the newer roundabouts are standard but the many which you use the right lane to go straight true you have to relay on road markings which is hard when you cant see them in traffic. My driving in Kerry was limited from Cork to Tralee so only one roundabout in Killarney. Of course I tackled the Conor Pass for fun on the way to Dingle :D.

This is the roundabout. On my daily driving Ive seen many a good K reg'd
    car fail :pac:

h5LNUi2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Yaaaay my pet hate,

This is my opnion on how it works.

You can of course use the inside lane to go straight on BUT, you can only take the exit from the outside lane. If there is someone on the outside lane while you are on the inside lane then you should NOT take the exit as you have no way of knowing if they are going to go around the roundabout, which they are entitled to do.

There is a broken white line on most two lane roundabouts, youre are not supposed to cross a broken while line unless the lane you are moving into is clear, if there is a car there then you are effectively cutting them up.

If you were on a dual carriage way it would be like thinking you have the right of way to take an exit from the overtaking lane even with traffic on the slow lane.

Advertisement