Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

email report waiting time and a few other questions

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I did the driving test within the last few days and failed (it just went from bad to worse), but have yet to receive the full email report; how long does it normally take to receive this?

An issue that cropped up during the test was a difficulty in getting the bonnet open due to the release lever, at which the tester decided to skip over that section and checked lights. Is it permitted to have a difficult to open bonnets already opened / popped upon arrival at test centre and is this something I have to make them aware of or would they take issue with it? It doesn't cause the car to be unroadworthy, it just the lever doesn't pop the bonnet and up the other lever for it to be opened, not without having a second person lean on it. I don't think this is fixable, the car isn't mine, but a family member's and as far as I know it can't really be fixed.

I was rattled before I even left the car park with nerves and stage fright and performed poorly imo in comparison to how I've been driving and performing since the latter half of EDT lessons and basically overcome with the nerves and tbh I wasn't at all comfortable with the tester and had to have them repeat directions because they were talking in a whisper. I lost my confidence during the test (I was quite relaxed when I was at the test centre) and was practically scared half way through and very uncomfortable and unsettled by the tester - I've never felt so panicked before, not since maybe first few lessons in EDT when I was able to recover. Is there anything I can do to prevent myself feeling that way during the test when I take it again? I've never suffered that level of anxiety before.

Also with the test centre, I've found out over the last 24 hours that with the ongoing long term roadworks the lanes have been moved at least twice and more than likely at that section that is part of the test route, will be changing several times more over between now and whenever I take the test again. Are allowances ever made during the test that an unexpected change may have occurred where the road layouts may be different than to what is familiar due to road work progress? I'm not talking about a lane being closed and witches hats around, I'm talking about like 2 lanes having had an obstruction there for the 8 months and suddenly being removed and the whole layout changed in prep for the wrap up of the project section by section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've no information on the report waiting time.

However, there's not a set route or set of routes in each test centre, something which was drilled into me at the first lesson with my instructor. The driving test is an assessment of your ability to drive, not your ability to navigate a pre determined route and set of obstacles. My test route takes in a pretty mixed bag of circumstances, depending on whether you were asked to turn left or right after leaving the centre. If you're in an urban area, or indeed any area, you must be competent to deal with unexpected hazards and obstacles, like an ambulance coming up behind or a sudden stop by the car in front. Roadwords and how to deal with them are part and parcel of the process of learning to drive, such as negotiating narrow roads, dealing with road signs signalling that a lane may be closed and reacting to hazards, while making progress. When you are driving alone after passing the test you'll have to deal with things like road words without an instructor, so if you can't deal with them during a test and pass the assessment, you shouldn't be on the road alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

lazygal wrote: »
    I've no information on the report waiting time.

quite confused as to why I would get a response then as I was looking to find out how long it is normal to be in wait of it. Even when I spoke to someone in the RSA about not receiving it they stated it was unusual that the test had never been closed off and processed so that a final report could be issued. Hence my concern as to find out what is the normal waiting time and if a lot of concern on my part is even necessary or if I'm just worrying about nothing and that it's quite normal to have done a test, failed and still days later not be in receipt of the final report, of which until I do get it, because of a mess up I had with the system, I can't even get another date for a test until I have been given that test.

I had previously been competent as previously observed by my ADI and Sponsor in driving difficult situations and as many hazards, have even dealt with Gardai, Ambulances and Fire trucks, tbh I found what you've said quite patronising, I did not just take 1 lesson and try for a test without already knowing what you have regurgitated which is glaringly obvious.

Normally I'm totally relaxed and happy in the car. During the test I was not, even couldn't talk as my mouth was so dry and the tester seemed unimpressed that while pulled over I had no option but to take a drink of water. I drove that section of the roadworks after the test and I was perfectly fine, did it all correctly, without help from my sponsor beside me. It was just during the test I was completely ill at ease as outlined above which put me off a lot that I lost my confidence. Difficult junctions wouldn't bother me, hazards don't faze me (I had a branch of a tree hit the windscreen before and I didn't even blink, just reacted by maintaining control of the car, while my sponsor had ducked down, I've dealt with Gardai all around me, even met the unmarked car several times in front and behind me, ambulances around me, tractors and now combine harvesters, melting roads, overtaking a cyclist on a melting road of tar etc etc I could go on and on and on with every little thing)

Honestly I came to this forum for a bit of advice and help, not to be berated while I'm down.

I'd welcome if anyone could answer my original post and I should clarify re major road works is it ever taken into consideration that the combined force of feeling extremely nervous which should be picked up by a tester quite obviously and going through roadworks that are known to alter every few hours, at least 1-2 times a day that they would be a little understanding about that? TBH with that section I see other drivers who don't have L plates and are local struggle with the changes and many have gone wrong as a result of the numerous changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

If there is something wrong with the car you were using, maybe you're better off renting an instructor's car for the test. It will be fine and you will have less to worry about.

To be honest, when I did my test, it felt just like a lesson with an instructor even though I was a little nervous before.

Also, did you try booking a lesson an hour before the actual test? I'd say it will definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

quite confused as to why I would get a response then as I was looking to find out how long it is normal to be in wait of it. Even when I spoke to someone in the RSA about not receiving it they stated it was unusual that the test had never been closed off and processed so that a final report could be issued. Hence my concern as to find out what is the normal waiting time and if a lot of concern on my part is even necessary or if I'm just worrying about nothing and that it's quite normal to have done a test, failed and still days later not be in receipt of the final report, of which until I do get it, because of a mess up I had with the system, I can't even get another date for a test until I have been given that test.

I had previously been competent as previously observed by my ADI and Sponsor in driving difficult situations and as many hazards, have even dealt with Gardai, Ambulances and Fire trucks, tbh I found what you've said quite patronising, I did not just take 1 lesson and try for a test without already knowing what you have regurgitated which is glaringly obvious.

Normally I'm totally relaxed and happy in the car. During the test I was not, even couldn't talk as my mouth was so dry and the tester seemed unimpressed that while pulled over I had no option but to take a drink of water. I drove that section of the roadworks after the test and I was perfectly fine, did it all correctly, without help from my sponsor beside me. It was just during the test I was completely ill at ease as outlined above which put me off a lot that I lost my confidence. Difficult junctions wouldn't bother me, hazards don't faze me (I had a branch of a tree hit the windscreen before and I didn't even blink, just reacted by maintaining control of the car, while my sponsor had ducked down, I've dealt with Gardai all around me, even met the unmarked car several times in front and behind me, ambulances around me, tractors and now combine harvesters, melting roads, overtaking a cyclist on a melting road of tar etc etc I could go on and on and on with every little thing)

Honestly I came to this forum for a bit of advice and help, not to be berated while I'm down.

I'd welcome if anyone could answer my original post and I should clarify re major road works is it ever taken into consideration that the combined force of feeling extremely nervous which should be picked up by a tester quite obviously and going through roadworks that are known to alter every few hours, at least 1-2 times a day that they would be a little understanding about that? TBH with that section I see other drivers who don't have L plates and are local struggle with the changes and many have gone wrong as a result of the numerous changes.

The email should've been that day or soon after. Have you contacted Driver Testing regarding this, as you say it's now delaying your retest although they will try and hold you for 3 weeks to "practice". (ok i've reread your post, the test hasn't been closed off?? time to push them harder on this)
    Sorry to hear about your test but it is a problem that often arises on test day, even the simplest things we doubt ourselves over. The attitude of some examiners can be very annoying, i understand they have to test your ability and have no previous contact with you to know whether your driving is nervousness and not lack of ability, but some are great at putting you at ease while others seem determined to unsettle drivers.
    Can I suggest you or your present Instructor organise a complete stranger (other instructor) take you on a test route and basically be as awkward as possible(attitude wise) and see how you cope. But I think you are already forearmed for this from the TEST and the next outing you will handle it easier.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement