Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with my HTC Desire android downloads.

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

This is driving me nuts, basically i can download apps from the Android market that are small in size like Trap! and Cabbage, usually stuff under 1mb but when i try the bigger apps like Bubble blast 2 or Skype is just tells me that the download is unsucessful even though the green bar is full they just won't install.
    I've cleared the caches and have the app 2 SD free. There's 3.63gb free on the SD card and 95.29MB free on the phone and i have that box ticked that leaves in unknown sources apps.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'd hazard a guess that you ran the "setInstallLocation 2" command at some stage and it's trying to force these apps to the sd card rather than the internal storage. If so, try running "setInstallLocation 0" to revert to default settings.

If you have no idea what I'm on about with all this setInstallLocation nonsense, look on the Market for an app called Move2SD and in that app set the install location to auto, which will have the same effect as running the command above.

Whichever method you use, try downloading the failed app again afterwards to see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that you ran the "setInstallLocation 2" command at some stage and it's trying to force these apps to the sd card rather than the internal storage. If so, try running "setInstallLocation 0" to revert to default settings.

If you have no idea what I'm on about with all this setInstallLocation nonsense, look on the Market for an app called Move2SD and in that app set the install location to auto, which will have the same effect as running the command above.

Whichever method you use, try downloading the failed app again afterwards to see if it works.

Thanks for your reply, i've been looking for that app and can only find one which has 'root only' in brackets next to it and my phone isn't rooted.

Sorry, I misread your OP. When you said you had app2sd free, I presumed you meant a2sd+, which you get if your phone is rooted. My previous post doesn't apply to you.

When you say you have cleared the caches, which ones do you mean? Have you cleared the cache for the market app?

Have you tried installing the Appbrain app and downloading the problematic apps through that?

Sorry, I misread your OP. When you said you had app2sd free, I presumed you meant a2sd+, which you get if your phone is rooted. My previous post doesn't apply to you.

When you say you have cleared the caches, which ones do you mean? Have you cleared the cache for the market app?

Have you tried installing the Appbrain app and downloading the problematic apps through that?

Yeah i've cleared the caches for the market too.
    I've just installed the appbrain and then tried the apps again but still no joy. I just can't get my head around it, it just won't accept the larger files.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

+1 on this! Not sure whats going on! I have an unrooted desire too, try to download updates to apps i have installed (internal and SD card memory is adequate), it downloads the updates and at the point of install I get "Installation Message
    Unknown Error -18"

I googled it and only found one thing similar suggesting that it was cos i was downloading through 3G, so tried wifi connection and got same error!

Its pissin me off big style!

• Advertisement

I had the same issue recently myself but I'm rooted and have since wiped and moved to a different rom.
    Have either of you tried deleting the cache and/or data of Download Manager?
    If that doesn't work try going to settings / SD card & phone storage / Unmount SD card. Reboot the phone and try again.

I had the same issue recently myself but I'm rooted and have since wiped and moved to a different rom.
    Have either of you tried deleting the cache and/or data of Download Manager?
    If that doesn't work try going to settings / SD card & phone storage / Unmount SD card. Reboot the phone and try again.

Tried all that, there was half a meg of data on the download manager, cleared it. then unmounted and restarted, same story! Think it might be time to bite the bullet and root!?
    you have any luck OP??

aliocroc wrote: »
    Tried all that, there was half a meg of data on the download manager, cleared it. then unmounted and restarted, same story! Think it might be time to bite the bullet and root!?
    you have any luck OP??

No luck so far, can someone tell me where download manager is on the phone, can't find the bloody thing!

I emailed HTC support and this is what they sent in reply......

As for the Android Market issues there are 2 methods to resolve your issue;

Method 1

Using a file browser (if already installed) or by connecting to the PC in disk drive mode, browse to the SD card.
    Look for a folder called .android_secure
    Open the .android_secure folder
    Locate and delete a file called smdl2tmp1.asec
    Reboot the phone and try again.

This is believed to be the result of a corrupted download file and removing this file seems to clear the error in many cases.

Method 2

From the home screen, press Menu.
    Scroll down, then tap SD & Phone storage
    Tap Unmount SD Card
    Press Home
    Download and install the application
    Reboot the phone to remount the SD card.

As you can guess none of them worked for me. Helllllllllpppppppp!!!

Download manager is found in settings / applications and then hit the "all" tab.

It might be worth copying everything off the sd card, formatting it and copying everything back on again. After that, I'm stumped. If it was me, I'd do a backup and factory reset but that might be a bit ott.

Download manager is found in settings / applications and then hit the "all" tab.

It might be worth copying everything off the sd card, formatting it and copying everything back on again. After that, I'm stumped. If it was me, I'd do a backup and factory reset but that might be a bit ott.

No joy with the download manager. Going to try both options, cheers for the advice anyway.

• Advertisement

This is just ridiculous, i've done a factory reset and i still have the same problem, joke of a phone.

Boooourns wrote: »
    This is just ridiculous, i've done a factory reset and i still have the same problem, joke of a phone.

Ouch! Thats a right pain in the hole! I didnt even try that yet! have tried everything else though and im the same-no results!!

Op-has yours been switching itself off recently too? Displays a message just as a call comes in- "Android process has stopped unexpectedly" or something, and the restarts? Doesnt happen much-just every now and again?! im only asking cos Im wondering if its if its related?!

aliocroc wrote: »
    Ouch! Thats a right pain in the hole! I didnt even try that yet! have tried everything else though and im the same-no results!!

Op-has yours been switching itself off recently too? Displays a message just as a call comes in- "Android process has stopped unexpectedly" or something, and the restarts? Doesnt happen much-just every now and again?! im only asking cos Im wondering if its if its related?!

No haven't had a problem like that yet although it may stop working altogether as i'm going to hop it off a wall soon.

Update: Right i've just downloaded angry birds, i've been using my home wifi up till now so i decided to use the 3g on o2 and it downloaded and installed. Is there an explanation for this? My brain hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was about to suggest that it's an issue with your internet connection and that appears to be the case.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was about to suggest that it's an issue with your internet connection and that appears to be the case.

I'm now having a problem downloading onto my PC and laptop now haha. it never rains but it pours! Just rang NTL and they said everything should be o.k, still not working.
    My phone seems to be sorted though.

Advertisement