Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which tablet ?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for suggestions as to which tablet people think is the best?
    Only 2 I've looked at is the ipad or Galaxy tab.

Basically looking for something to leave on a table downstairs to surf the net the odd time and view movies on when on the go. The Galaxy is smaller than the ipad so I like its portability

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If that's all you want it for, maybe you should be looking at the crappy 7 inch resistive touch screen tablets that are running older versions of android but can play back video well? You can get them from around 80 quid upwards.

Have you other things you want to do with it? If it's just the occasional web browse + occasional on the go video that's what I'd be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Khannie wrote: »
    If that's all you want it for, maybe you should be looking at the crappy 7 inch resistive touch screen tablets that are running older versions of android but can play back video well? You can get them from around 80 quid upwards.

Have you other things you want to do with it? If it's just the occasional web browse + occasional on the go video that's what I'd be buying.

just been looking around and found an archos 7 home tablet. Says it wont play youtube but has a web browser. Any idea what this means? No Flash so no youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I wouldn't get any tablet at the moment. The Ipad 2 will be released near the start of next year and alot of other manufacturers will be showing off their tablets at CES in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Just got myself an archos 101 and have to say its class. Only 350e from peats.ie For that you android 2.1 (2.2 promised) 1ghz processor, 10.1 inch capacitive screen. Because archos is not open handset alliance it doesn't come with the Google apps installed as default but you can download all of from archosfans.com Now have full access to gmail, market and everything else
    Also getting about 9-10 hours battery life with mostly web ans some video.

The only negative is that to play all video formats you need to pay €15 for a codec. Also doesnt have a sim slot, but have a MiFi so not really an issue for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

For the record it does play DivX!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got the 101 from Peats too. Brilliant toy and excellent price too for a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Also just been upgraded to 2.2, the hack to get market has stopped work, but looking at the archosfans site, there should be a work around by tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

swampy353 wrote: »
    The only negative is that to play all video formats you need to pay €15 for a codec. Also doesnt have a sim slot, but have a MiFi so not really an issue for me
    Why not just use one of the players off the market? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

The Archos units are very nice...I think the 10.1" screen is too big but I like the look of the Archos 7o tablet, especially with the 250GB hard drive.

Any suggestions where to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Have used the samsung tab it is lacking a few things but you can use it as a phone also....kinda handy.

If you were getting one now i would go with the tab. Ignore people about the ipad2 its all just rumour and they would have had it out in time for Christmas. If it is coming out it wont be out for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Hiya, can anyone recommend an android tablet for teenagers who arent tech savvy, just want to access FB, youtube, movies, browse net etc!

Need to buy two so the cheaper the better. They keep robbing the laptop on me and then fighting over it!

7" or above, thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For those asking about the 7" I saw the Archos 7 (not sure of version) in Xtra vision (Palmerstown) for €179 and that price is comparable online so better off getting it at a brick and mortar shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions as to which tablet people think is the best?

I think you really need to define "best".

I have the Galaxy Tab for a few days now and I can't decide whether I am blown away more by the battery life, or the quality of the user interface.

However, I am evaluating it for the job and I have to be honest, I am finding it too big to be a phone (a co-worker took a comical picture of me answering the phone before I got the Bluetooth headset configured), and yet too small to be a viable work device.

At home, I am finding Boards.ie just isn't "working" for me on the tab (maybe that's because of some of the repetitive Admin stuff I have to do, I don't know). As a media player, browser, newsreader it is nothing short of spectacular. As a work device, I am not so sure.

So, my point is be clear on what you want to do with the device before you fork out any money for it. The newest, high-spec devices may not necessarily suit you.

Saruman wrote: »
    For those asking about the 7" I saw the Archos 7 (not sure of version) in Xtra vision (Palmerstown) for €179 and that price is comparable online so better off getting it at a brick and mortar shop.

for that price thats probably the Archos 7 Home tablet

I've decided once I get my hands on one and get the feel of it to go for the Archos 7o Internet Tablet with the 8GB flash memory and upgrade with an additional 16GB Micro SD card.

The HD unit is too risky with 2 kids in the house. A trip to Peats this weekened for a test drive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think you really need to define "best".

I have the Galaxy Tab for a few days now and I can't decide whether I am blown away more by the battery life, or the quality of the user interface.

However, I am evaluating it for the job and I have to be honest, I am finding it too big to be a phone (a co-worker took a comical picture of me answering the phone before I got the Bluetooth headset configured), and yet too small to be a viable work device.

At home, I am finding Boards.ie just isn't "working" for me on the tab (maybe that's because of some of the repetitive Admin stuff I have to do, I don't know). As a media player, browser, newsreader it is nothing short of spectacular. As a work device, I am not so sure.

Ye I really don't see the point in the having anything above the size of a dell streak being an actual phone. The size of the galaxy tab really brings it into the realm of Trigger Happy TV-esque phones. At it's size it isn't going to be your primary phone device but as everyone brings their phone with them I don't see the need in it being a phone.

In relation to it being a work device, I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a work device, the context you use it and what industry you are in. Being in the building industry I can see cheap slates being handy for people on sites who need a small easily carriable device that they can have on them to look at CAD drawings. Or as a presentation device in meetings they will be fantastic as you can bring a couple of these into a meeting pass them around as need be and people can look at a secondary interactive presentations while the main meeting is going on (laptops are too intrusive to do this).

truthfully I see slates as being accessory devices in work places and their main advantages will be in new areas that we currently don't use laptops.

Actually what I would love to be able to do is use a slate as sort of a mouse replacement i.e. rather then having a mouse a mouse have the tablet replicating my desktop and use my fingers instead of the mouse to do stuff. So if you can get you class to work and getting me a programme that can do that, that would rock ;)

Advertisement