Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Network Problem

• 30-06-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a problem using, you guessed it, Vista. On a fairly regular basis, my wireless connection will fail to act as expected. Often times, the connection will change to "Local Access Only", and there is no fix available using the "Diagnose & Repair" function.

Other times, the network will appear to be working fine according to the Network icon in the taskbar, but I won't be able to connect to any new pages.

The odd part about this is that when this happens, I still retain use of apps such as Windows Messenger, yet my browser fails, whether I'm using Firefox, Chrome or, god forbid, Internet Explorer. I'm sure it's not a problem with my network, as I've used it in multiple places on different networks with the same behaviour. Help please! Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

i had a similar problem to this when working on a laptop for a friend, and i couldn't get it to connect to the interweb at all, and the network status said local access only. i uninstalled symantec and installed avg free and the interweb came up fine, so if you are running symantec you could try this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

I'm running AVG, Symantec isn't installed. I can't figure it out at all, it's driving me crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

quaidox wrote: »
    i had a similar problem to this when working on a laptop for a friend, and i couldn't get it to connect to the interweb at all, and the network status said local access only. i uninstalled symantec and installed avg free and the interweb came up fine, so if you are running symantec you could try this......
    that problem had nothing to do with branding, it had to do with running 2 Antivirus programs in the same instance. Its a big Do-Not in computing. Mkay? Mkay.

Try turning off all of your security programs. See if the connection doesnt improve. Otherwise it might be a problem with your gateway/router. follow the diagnostics for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

Overheal wrote: »
    that problem had nothing to do with branding, it had to do with running 2 Antivirus programs in the same instance. Its a big Do-Not in computing. Mkay? Mkay.

Try turning off all of your security programs. See if the connection doesnt improve. Otherwise it might be a problem with your gateway/router. follow the diagnostics for that.
    symantec was only installed when i was having the problems with internet connectivity, not avg as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

could be the Vista wireless autotuning crap. Had problems with it, this solved it, but there was still issues with gaming on it through wireless. Give this a go. Try disabling it first, its how mine worked.

1. Click Start and type CMD.
    2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to open the command Prompt with Administrative rights.
    3. At the prompt in the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following command, and then press ENTER: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted
    This will set the autotuninglevel to "Allow the receive window to grow beyond its default value, but do so very conservatively". To read more about the netsh command in Windows Vista please use Vista's help and support tool. You will need to reboot in order for the setting to take effect. You can easily restore the setting back to the default by typing

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal Remember to reboot in order for the setting to take effect. You can also disable autotuning with the following command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable Again, you will need to reboot in order for the setting to take effect.

http://www.petri.co.il/improve_windows_vista_network_performance.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement