Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android phone for an 02 user?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I know my 02 store has the Desire, but I've also heard of The Samsung Galaxy S?

I'm heavily leaning towards the Desire, but I could be swayed on the galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Check both of them out and see which suits you best. Similar computing power. I believe the Samsung looks like an iPhone and may be a little flimsy in the hand. I'm a desire user.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Am also a Desire user.
    Love it + almost converted an iphone addict yesterday - but he is on an 18mth contract and has a while to go. After some of my work mates saw it - some have also gone out and picked it up - including the v handy soft silicone sock/case to protect it.

Only niggle that annoys me is the poor battery life - but in work just keep in hooked up on the USB or just let it charge overnight - like my wife does with her iphone...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

It's an ok phone but the lag in the software is horrendeous! Phone calls drop like you wouldn't believe and the Bluetooth drops connection when it feels like it...

I really wanted to love this phone but I went back to my blackberry because of the problems, came back to desire when I heard froyo was coming but o2 are dragging their heels on it so badly that I just lost any residual affection for the phone...

Battery life is so bad i thought i had a dud phone, i wont get a work day of light to medium use out of the phone...

I hope you have a better experience with it, whichever handset you go for

I just checked my battery level now after posting out of curiosity. No phone calls or text this morning, about 10th mins browsing and typing that messge. Phone charged all night - 43 mins unplugged and i have 8 out of 10 power bars...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It's an ok phone but the lag in the software is horrendeous! Phone calls drop like you wouldn't believe and the Bluetooth drops connection when it feels like it...

I really wanted to love this phone but I went back to my blackberry because of the problems, came back to desire when I heard froyo was coming but o2 are dragging their heels on it so badly that I just lost any residual affection for the phone...

Battery life is so bad i thought i had a dud phone, i wont get a work day of light to medium use out of the phone...

I hope you have a better experience with it, whichever handset you go for

Lag? Seriously? I've never heard that complaint before...

• Advertisement

Yeah, i was surprised myself with it, its only a second or two but its enough to really annoy me when typing messages or redialling dropped calls...

Not polished enough for a company like Google I feel...

Yeah, i was surprised myself with it, its only a second or two but its enough to really annoy me when typing messages or redialling dropped calls...

Not polished enough for a company like Google I feel...

Yeah, that would annoy me too. Have O2 branded it or added any software themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I waited for the Desire to come back into stock but none about so went with the Galaxy S - was half the price I was quoted for Desire.

It seems like agreat phone so far. Waiting to get froyo onto it but 2.1 seems fine to me. It can do so much (but that's Android so Desire will do same I guess).

Camera and Video seem fantastic. I cannot report on battery life as I must admit I am not using this for calls - more so for the multimedia etc. Plays DivX etc direct with no conversions required.

I am a Blackberry business user through and through so ain't going back to carrying two devices so not really putting the Galaxy S through its paces for mail etc. It is temperamental on connecting to the PC (Windows 7) and had to install Samsung Kies to get drivers working etc.

Anyway's - if you looking for recommendations on the Galaxy S I would give it a thumbs up so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I bought the galaxy s and I adore it. I moved from o2 to three and I am really happy, the phone is superb. I find charging the battery a bit slow but I can cope with that!

Absolutely love the phone and big fan of Android now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Lag is not an issue for me on the desire. With regards to battery life mine is rooted, its syncing email and I have mobile data on all the time. Its been unplugged for 3 hours 6 mins, I've done about 10 mins browsing and battery is at 90%. It will easily last the day. Using opendesire rom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Thanks for the advice :)

Gonna have a proper look in person at the Galaxy and make a decision then

Edit: any idea on the price of the Galaxy S? Can't seem to find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Macronelf wrote: »

I am with 3 and I paid 149 Euro for it on their 40 Euro monthly plan, it is 10 euro cheaper on the 3 store.

3 let me have a little play around with it in the store :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Very happy With the Galaxy S so far. Had it a few weeks now. Two gripes. The battery indicator has a tendency to sho full or near enough to full charge for a fair old time; then it pretty quickly drops off the face of the earth. You're checking it and thinking "I'm grand for a while" and next thing it's gone. Easily coped with by simply routinely charging the phone on a daily/nightly basis.

Other gripe is more annoying. When synching with desktop & MS Outlook calendar/contacts, MS Outlook is left frozen on the desktop afterwards; requiring a desktop reboot. This may be more an issue with my dektop/MS Outlook/Vista than with the Galaxy/Android, but it's a pain in the poll. Never an issue with my old N95 on synching.

I'm going to strip Kies out of the desktop & reinstall, to see if that resolves. If anyone out there has had similar & has a resolution, then please let us know...

Macronelf wrote: »

The best deal (AFAIK) is in Carphonewarehouse on Meteor Smart - €99, €35 pm (200+200 and 1gig data) and only a 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Haven't ever had lag issues with the Desire and my battery was on 18% this morning after forgetting to plug it in last night (was fully charged yesterday morning and had a 20min boost yesterday evening). Was using it loads too. Happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

JustinOval wrote: »
    The best deal (AFAIK) is in Carphonewarehouse on Meteor Smart - €99, €35 pm (200+200 and 1gig data) and only a 12 month contract.

Yes, this is best deal i have seen so far, but Meteor supposedly do not have as good 3g coverage outside of Dublin and Cork as the other carriers..?

Advertisement