Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home-made SpiceBag Recipe

Options
  • 25-08-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

I love SpiceBags from the Chinese, or I did until I tasted one from my local Chinese who uses bizarre chewy chicken which I don't like.

So I decided to experiment and make my own.
    In my opinion, my version was MUCH nicer than the local Chinese.

Also, I really love Country Store Oven Chips, in the blue bag, in Tesco for €1.60..they don't taste like oven chips; they taste like a cross between chipper and Chinese chips and they're my little secret....but I'll share it with ya!

INGREDIENTS:

Some oven chips (I just poured out enough for two on to a baking tray)
    1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
    1 medium onion, sliced and separated
    1 red chilli, finely sliced
    1/4 packet of Old el Paso Smoky Enchilada Mix Powder AND roughly the same amount of Schwartz Cajun powder, mixed together.
    (You can adjust these amounts til you get the right spiciness)
    Chicken breast-I used leftover roast chicken breast but you can add any kind of chicken you want.

Remember-you can adjust the amount of ingredients to suit your liking.
    Some people might prefer more peppers, less chicken etc.

1)Cook the chips. With these chips, you need to take them out at just the right time-I like when they're golden but not dark.

2)When the chips are almost done, get a pan and add a little oil. Throw in the peppers, onion and chilli. Stir and cook for a few minutes.

3)Add the chicken (if using raw, make sure it's fully cooked before the next step; if using leftover chicken it doesn't need long in the pan), then add your spice mix.

Coat everything thoroughly and when everything looks a little softened (but not too much, you want a bit of texture), remove from the heat.

4) Take the tray of chips out of the oven and throw the pan of chicken/peppers etc over the chips. Mix thoroughly so the chips also get coated. Serve!

I like heat so I added some Old el Paso Jalapeno peppers to my plate too!

We both though it was delicious and actually way nicer than the Chinese!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I too noticed all the signs in the chippers for spice bags and was curious enough to try. It was OK, at least it's something new in the chipper anyway.

I reckon your recipe is far more intricate than most chippers do so I'm definitely going to give it a lash.

I always suspected most chippers just have a supermarket bought jar of cajun seasoning or some other spice mix and lash loads on top of a bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hmmm as a chip lover I do not know this 'spice bag' you talk of?! Though presume by the sounds of it, its chips with spices?! also chicken? interesting....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

And onions! Lots of spicy onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

the spice bag in my local chinese is more garlicky than cajuny if that makes sense.......wonder where could you buy the spicy salt they use?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

is this salt and chilli chips/chicken? I think my local chinese is heavy on the salt and garlic, some spices and chilli, and something that might be sugar. It seems to be fried on at the last minute or something, because sometimes its almost like a batter on the chips. It's mighty stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement