Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus S - question about the screen from vodafone

Options
  • 17-03-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    anyone got Nexus S from CPW? Is it the Super Amoled version or Super Clear LCD. SP LCD is heavier 140g vs 129 of SA. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

this article says super amoled: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s-3620.php

i've moved your post to the android forum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Vodafone.ie say Super Clear LCD and CPW Super Amoled. TBH, i prefer SA and is also lighter. Will check it out tomorrow in store.

The nexus s doesn't come with SLCD, they are all amoled. Possible copy paste error there I reckon.

baz8080 wrote: »
    The nexus s doesn't come with SLCD, they are all amoled. Possible copy paste error there I reckon.

Yes, they do.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=921861
    1Nexus-S-Amoled-vs-Nexus-LCD-1.jpg
    1Nexus-S-Amoled-vs-Nexus-LCD-7.jpg
    1Nexus-S-Super-Amoled-vs-Nexus-Super-Clear-LCD.jpg
    1Nexus-S-Amoled-vs-Nexus-LCD-6.jpg
    1Nexus-S-Amoled-vs-Nexus-LCD-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As above. They do come with SLCD screens. It depends on the market.

As far as im aware theres a shortage of them so Samsung started putting SLCD's on them to speed up production. Tbh i wouldnt go for one without amoled as it is the main selling point of Samsung phones

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As above. They do come with SLCD screens. It depends on the market.

As far as im aware theres a shortage of them so Samsung started putting SLCD's on them to speed up production. Tbh i wouldnt go for one without amoled as it is the main selling point of Samsung phones

How can you tell for definite which you have?

I have a Nexus S (bought from CPW) - Is there a way to tell ?

Serial number , reference or something.

The manual in the box is titled Samsung GT-I9020.

I'm more than happy with the phone and the screen regardless , but would be interested to know.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Am i the only one that doesnt seem much of at difference at all?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    How can you tell for definite which you have?

I have a Nexus S (bought from CPW) - Is there a way to tell ?

Serial number , reference or something.

The manual in the box is titled Samsung GT-I9020.

I'm more than happy with the phone and the screen regardless , but would be interested to know.

Thanks

Yours should be the Super Amoled one. Super Clear LCD is I9023.
    Easiest way to recognize SA screen is, black is really deep black. You cant really see when the end of the screen is/ black plastic starts. See the first picture. On the SC LCD black is kinda like washed out. On the other hand white is nicer on SC LCD.
    SA version weights 129g vs 140g of SC LCD.

Hecklar wrote: »

Well, i think there is a difference, quite easy to see. And there is 11g weight difference.

Hecklar wrote: »
    There's quiet a big difference when you put LCD vs amoled side by side. Otherwise you would barely notice. In amoled screen the place where black is the screen doesn't produce any colour. Its like it would be off and it only displays the colours you need. In slcd the backlight is always on and the black colours always have a hint of gray or white.

But as I said. You need to put them side by side to see the difference. I didn't see it either till I put my hd7 beside Omnia 7.

Also it should say on the box weather its amoled or slcd. I've only read the slcd's on nexus s were only in Russia. Not sure did they release more into the EU market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

There is a difference, but SLCD is still pretty damn good. Its daylight visibility should also be better.

All this fuss about 11g is pretty funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

The weight, realistically lads. is that going to make a blind bit of difference to ya? i prefer if the phone had a bit MORE weight to it. I like that "big pebble" feel of the iPhone 4, it adds a feel of quality to it.

Whats the general feeling on which screen is better though?

ps. i didnt say there wasnt a difference, im saying its very slight if any in those particular pics.

As I said the blacks are actualy black and in slcd they are more like washed out black cause of the backlight.

Generally I found the slcd to be more clear than the amoled screen. But as before you won't really notice it unless you have the two beside each other or if your not fuzzy. The weight wouldn't be a big deal. Its not like its kg :)its a couple of extra g

Be the jeebus!, I stand corrected. Bit of a crime to stick a SLCD into this, at least they have a distinct model number for the other version.

Agree. A few websites made a survey on Samsung phones. They first considered the screen. The chassis design and final was the OS. So yeah its a big crime. Samsungs amoled plant isn't finished yet either so expect more slcd's if your getting a Samsung phone.

Got it yesterday from CPW. It's the Super Amoled version. Very happy so far.

Advertisement