Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to root

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know this has been done time and time again but I'd don't have much time to sieve through all the material.

I have stock 2.2 froyo on HTC Legend and am going to root my phone finally. My main issue is phone speed as my severely lacks any. I found this video which I think looks good as I've never rooted my phone before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmtkHkrgLE

Can anyone recommend a rom that I should use,

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Can anyone recommend a rom that I should use,

At the end of the day, every custom rom is different so your gonna have to try every single one of them sooner or later :)

Prepare for hours of tinkering :D

I always found somethign new in every rom over another. It comes to which one you preffer the most

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm about to do the same. Have my N1 about 13 months now and tbh it's the first phone in 10 years that i haven't gotten bored of after 6 months. I'm still tinkering with it but have always resisting rooting it as i was happy with the stock rom. Time for a change though so i'll probably root it next week. Haven't decided on an initial custom rom yet,the choice is bewildering!

Well if i was still on Android i would go back to MIUI :) was by far the smoothest and most polished UI for Android. Very practical too. I loved the pulldown connections bar. Dont like the one in CM7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well if i was still on Android i would go back to MIUI :) was by far the smoothest and most polished UI for Android. Very practical too. I loved the pulldown connections bar. Dont like the one in CM7.

+1, my favorite, has lovely features aswell, stock data monitor, file manager, music player etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im considering rooting my Desire HD... but honestly it looks complicated. Ive looked at "How to root to X Rom" guides on the web and the scare the bejebus out of me in terms of code ..... Is there a simple way around it?

• Advertisement

It seems very very complicated in the start. But once you read it a couple of times it becomes clear.

Alot of the crap written is there just for the sake of you not bricking your phone by doing something wrong.

I was the same first time when i had to hack my phone. Was confused completely and let it off for a couple of days.

Then after a few days read over it again and it seemed easier and everything worked out perfect ;) everything after that day went nearly 99% smooth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

At the end of the day, every custom rom is different so your gonna have to try every single one of them sooner or later :)

Prepare for hours of tinkering :D

I always found somethign new in every rom over another. It comes to which one you preffer the most

Yea it looks like I'll be busy with it for a couple of hours, did you follow any specific youtube vid or guide that might be useful?
    GBX wrote: »
    Im considering rooting my Desire HD... but honestly it looks complicated. Ive looked at "How to root to X Rom" guides on the web and the scare the bejebus out of me in terms of code ..... Is there a simple way around it?
    lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm about to do the same. Have my N1 about 13 months now and tbh it's the first phone in 10 years that i haven't gotten bored of after 6 months. I'm still tinkering with it but have always resisting rooting it as i was happy with the stock rom. Time for a change though so i'll probably root it next week. Haven't decided on an initial custom rom yet,the choice is bewildering!

This looks a fairly good website for how to guides. I haven't started rooting it yet as I'm still getting information together just incase I makes a balls of my phone. Here it is, has nearly all the android phones listed: http://theunlockr.com/how-tos/android-how-tos/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

http://unrevoked.com/recovery/
    is this not simple - one step root?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭cullenswood

http://unrevoked.com/recovery/
    is this not simple - one step root?

that's the way I did it.....easy peasy, and opens up a whole new world of messing about with your phone!

Yea it looks like I'll be busy with it for a couple of hours, did you follow any specific youtube vid or guide that might be useful?

I just looked at couple of videos on the internet to know whats going on the phone and the pc while im flashing.

The rest was the guides on XDA

Step by step noob guides :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

that's the way I did it.....easy peasy, and opens up a whole new world of messing about with your phone!

Cheers,

What phone did you do it with? I have the Legend but,

I had a look at the info on that site and it says
    unrevoked3 currently supports the following Android phones:

Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
    Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
    HTC Desire GSM
    HTC Desire CDMA (HTC BravoC)
    HTC Aria
    Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)
    HTC Wildfire (HTC Buzz)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

did you lose your existing apps?settings, messages?

No. Unless you flash a new Rom all your stuff will stay as before.

Even though you can get Titanium Backup on the marketplace to back up all your apps and messages and call log and etc.

did it with my desire, and no as mentioned you lorn nothing. it just gives you more user privileges allowing you to do more with your phone. no real use in rooting unless you want to change roms or mess about with processor speeds etc. (it is very good but slightly nerdy fun doing all that though!)

Once you will get the 2.3 update an average user wont really need to root because google will support deeper API integration. So apps in the marketplace that say require root :) wont require root anymore :)

did it with my desire, and no as mentioned you lorn nothing. it just gives you more user privileges allowing you to do more with your phone. no real use in rooting unless you want to change roms or mess about with processor speeds etc. (it is very good but slightly nerdy fun doing all that though!)

Advertisement