Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authentic Indian Recipe Book?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good Indian cookery book please? There are so many out there I cant decide
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Madhur Jaffrey and Anjum Anand are good places to start. I've bought both their new books in the last few months and I think they are terrific. I've been using an old Madhur Jaffrey book for years - it's starting to fall apart - and the recipes in the new one are quicker and easier to cook, but indistinguishable from those I've been doing up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find 50 Great Curries of India excellent.
    I use it more as a reference book than a recipe book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

the best indian cook books ive found are "the cinnamon club" cookbook
    "curry" by vivek sing
    "indian esscence" by atul kochhar
    "Prashda cooking with indian masters" the larousse of indian cooking
    "fish indian style" by athul kochhar
    most others are just rubbish imho

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Atul Kochar is a great cook - I haven't read any of his books, but his food is great.

Madhur Jaffrey is regarded as a leading author on Indian cooking. Her books are pretty comprehensive. I have her Ultimate Curry Bible at home somewhere. I don't particularly like some of her stuff, but she would be a good starting point.

I have another better book at home, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Some great rec's here guys-thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I love Indian food but tried several times at home and got quite blah result. I just could not get it right at all. I will have a browse and may try again.

Meanwhile I just use Pataks curry paste as the base for my currys not the ready made sauce mind.

Now if I could make a nice Naan bread at home I would be very happy but that was a disaster.... Could not get them cooked my grill is not hot enough. Think the shop ones are rubber!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've loads of Indian cookery books but the one I keep on returning to and whose pages stained yellow fom overuse is the classic Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madhur-Jaffreys-Indian-Cookery-Jaffrey/dp/0563488212/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294758877&sr=1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Alun wrote: »
    I've loads of Indian cookery books but the one I keep on returning to and whose pages stained yellow fom overuse is the classic Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madhur-Jaffreys-Indian-Cookery-Jaffrey/dp/0563488212/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294758877&sr=1-4

Like the look of her simple Indian cookery & quick and easy Indian cooking should be able to get this in my local Eason, else they will order it for me. Thanks. Might get to make my own Naan bread too, my kids love these, they call it 'Lord of the Rings bread'. Don't ask! We are all a bit mad here:D

nesbitt wrote: »
    I love Indian food but tried several times at home and got quite blah result. I just could not get it right at all. I will have a browse and may try again.

making curries like indian resturants is a long process using a few different techniques. there arent any cook books that cover it. cook books give 1 off quick easy curries that are poor replicas of the real thing.
    for the standard resturant curries u need to make a curry masala(spice mix), ginger/garlic paste, curry base and pre cooked meat before u can even start to make the actual curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Most people seem to rave about Madhur Jaffrey, but part of her appeal seems to be that she does a lot of 'quick and easy' curries as opposed to really authentic curries, which I'd have thought are not quick & easy. ....I don't know as I've never used her books, but I;ve read that on reviews on her elsewhere. Anyway, I would be very interested in any Indian people reading this, if they have an opinion on what a good cook book is...

• Advertisement

making curries like indian resturants is a long process using a few different techniques. there arent any cook books that cover it. cook books give 1 off quick easy curries that are poor replicas of the real thing.
    for the standard resturant curries u need to make a curry masala(spice mix), ginger/garlic paste, curry base and pre cooked meat before u can even start to make the actual curry.

I'd be more interested myself in how Indian food is made in the home in india, and also much more interested in veggie recipes where indian is concerned.

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Most people seem to rave about Madhur Jaffrey, but part of her appeal seems to be that she does a lot of 'quick and easy' curries as opposed to really authentic curries, ...
    Maybe she has written 'quick and easy' recipe books, but the one I have referenced above certainly doesn't fit into that mould.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with quick and easy recipes, they have their place, as do the 'how to recreate a restaurant curry' type recipe books as well.

You're just reading the wrong recipe books if that's your experience of them. And the pre-cooking of meat and the use of a curry base (usually a spicy onion gravy) is more of a time saving thing than anything else which is why restaurants do it. I don't think it results in better curries as a result though, quite the opposite if anything, and not really practical for home cooking either unless you eat Indian food every single day.

the best indian cook books ive found are "the cinnamon club" cookbook
    "curry" by vivek sing
    "indian esscence" by atul kochhar
    "Prashda cooking with indian masters" the larousse of indian cooking
    "fish indian style" by athul kochhar
    most others are just rubbish imho

Which would be your pick of these?

The Vivek singh one looks interesting, but recipes seem to be quite rich and also mainly meat based stuff.....is that right?

You're just reading the wrong recipe books if that's your experience of them. And the pre-cooking of meat and the use of a curry base (usually a spicy onion gravy) is more of a time saving thing than anything else which is why restaurants do it. I don't think it results in better curries as a result though, quite the opposite if anything, and not really practical for home cooking either unless you eat Indian food every single day.

one of the 1st indian cook books i bought was the one you recommended. its ok as indian cook books go. the recipes are average when compared to the cinnamon club cookbook or Prashad, cooking with indian masters. I do enjoy all of what indian cooking has to offer.
    I do prefer the resturant style of cooking specific curries myself.

It was the first one I bought too on the back of the TV series on the BBC by the same name waaay back in 1982! Unfortunately I lived in Germany at the time so getting hold of spices and other ingredients was a real challenge back then, but I managed.

I can't say I'm a fan of the restaurant style myself, to my taste it results in very samey dishes with little depth of flavour. Compare a Lamb Rogan Josh made according to the restaurant method and one made from scratch, for example, and there's really no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Most people seem to rave about Madhur Jaffrey, but part of her appeal seems to be that she does a lot of 'quick and easy' curries as opposed to really authentic curries, which I'd have thought are not quick & easy. ....I don't know as I've never used her books, but I;ve read that on reviews on her elsewhere. Anyway, I would be very interested in any Indian people reading this, if they have an opinion on what a good cook book is...

You're wrong about Madhur Jaffrey there - the "Ultimate Curry Bible" cookbook I have makes no concessions to simplicity or 'quick and easy' versions. It's one of the best cookbooks I've ever come across - I'd highly recommend it. Even without the recipes its a great history of the curry - mainly in India/Pakistan, but throughout the rest of the world too.

I've more or less given up on home-cooked Indian food though, since it never really works out for me. There's definitely something I'm doing wrong - it may be the quality of ingredients or some stage I'm leaving out - I don't know.

I can make a passable Vindaloo, but it's nothing compared to the better takeaways like Bombay Pantry.

Which would be your pick of these?

The Vivek singh one looks interesting, but recipes seem to be quite rich and also mainly meat based stuff.....is that right?

his books are pretty well balanced with a nice range of everything.

for just really great indian food well presented and work perfectly "the cinnamon club" cookbook is the best

for authentic indian cooking covering a huge range of the sub continent "Prashad" is the best.

thanks for this folks. what is the difference between the restaurant method and the 'from scratch' method?

Maybe it's rushing things too much? Some recipes, for example, require the browning of large quantities of onions .. this isn't something that can be rushed, and you have to be on top of it constantly making sure they don't burn. You just won't get that deep sweet caramelized flavour or the dark colour if you rush it. Also spices are important ... there's a world of difference for example between some freshly ground roasted cumin seeds, and some ready ground cumin that's been sitting in a jar for months.

A proper Goan style pork vindaloo isn't that difficult either (I use Madhur Jaffrey's recipe!) although again it takes time .. the best one I've ever had though was some that an Indian colleague's mum had made for him while visiting (they were both from Goa, the home of the vindaloo).

• Advertisement

It was the first one I bought too on the back of the TV series on the BBC by the same name waaay back in 1982! Unfortunately I lived in Germany at the time so getting hold of spices and other ingredients was a real challenge back then, but I managed.

I can't say I'm a fan of the restaurant style myself, to my taste it results in very samey dishes with little depth of flavour. Compare a Lamb Rogan Josh made according to the restaurant method and one made from scratch, for example, and there's really no comparison.

funny i video taped this series, i still have the old tape but the quality has deteriorated :)

thanks for this folks. what is the difference between the restaurant method and the 'from scratch' method?
    The following probably explains it best of all ... taken from an ancient copy of the Curry Club magazine ...

Maybe it's rushing things too much? Some recipes, for example, require the browning of large quantities of onions .. this isn't something that can be rushed, and you have to be on top of it constantly making sure they don't burn. You just won't get that deep sweet caramelized flavour or the dark colour if you rush it. Also spices are important ... there's a world of difference for example between some freshly ground roasted cumin seeds, and some ready ground cumin that's been sitting in a jar for months.

A proper Goan style pork vindaloo isn't that difficult either (I use Madhur Jaffrey's recipe!) although again it takes time .. the best one I've ever had though was some that an Indian colleague's mum had made for him while visiting (they were both from Goa, the home of the vindaloo).

imho the problem is the recipes themselves, they are not great and a good example if this is madhur jaffreys vindaloo in that book. it uses way too much vinegar as i remember. if u compare it with the vindaloo in the cinnamon club book u will see what i mean.

imho the problem is the recipes themselves, they are not great and a good example if this is madhur jaffreys vindaloo in that book. it uses way too much vinegar as i remember. if u compare it with the vindaloo in the cinnamon club book u will see what i mean.
    There's 5 tbsp in her recipe (for 1kg of pork). How much does the Cinnamon Club recipe use? I can't say I particularly find it too acidic except when it first starts cooking, but it seems to 'cook out' quite a lot .. maybe it depends on the vinegar used?

i made the one in her "ultimate curry bible" , 120ml of vinegar!

funny i followed that curry club method also years ago, it dint work too well but u live and u learn.

atm im looking for indian spice mix recipes if anyone can help?
    particularly regional ones rather than the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I asked this morning hoping to get 1 or 2 ideas as I'm a young novice who loves cooking at home but cannot make a good Indian dish for love nor money! I'm delighted with all the responses-keep them coming
    Thank you

ive been researching indian cooking for over 20 years. tried all the books, completed 6 courses and i wasnt truely happy with my results until I finally got an Indian chef to bring me through the whole process step by step.
    id advise the fast way to success to is get shown by an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

atm im looking for indian spice mix recipes if anyone can help?
    particularly regional ones rather than the mainstream.

This guy should see you right

• Advertisement

nice thanks!

Advertisement