Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef curry using chicken curry?

Options
  • 05-09-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a great recipe I use all the time for chicken curry, but next weekend, I was thinking of using beef instead. I can't find anything like my recipe online - although I'm sure I got it online in the first place - but the main spices are the usual suspects, five spice, cumin, fennel, garam masala, curry powder and garlic.

Without getting it specifics, should it in theory work as well for beef as it does for chicken, or does the cooking time, texture or whatever of beef mean I should be looking at a different set of spices?

If no good, anyone got a tried & true beef curry recipe they use - the hotter the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It should work fine but the beef will probably take much longer to cook tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yea, I figured that, beer revolu, so I wonder if spices that cook nicely in the time it takes to cook some chicken wouldn't get burned or "deflavoured" somewhat if forced to cook for much longer with beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

corblimey wrote: »
    Yea, I figured that, beer revolu, so I wonder if spices that cook nicely in the time it takes to cook some chicken wouldn't get burned or "deflavoured" somewhat if forced to cook for much longer with beef.

Unless you have a highly trained palate you shouldn't notice the difference.

As for beef curry recipes - do a search in The Cooking Club. I know that I posted a Vindaloo-style recipe there last year. There are probably others. You can make it as hot as you like by adding extra ground or fresh chillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks Hill Billy, I did search the CC (I always do when looking for new things) but just found your vindaloo recipe, so must give that a try. Although if next weekend's weather is anything like this weekend, I might have to postpone it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

corblimey wrote: »
    I've got a great recipe I use all the time for chicken curry, but next weekend, I was thinking of using beef instead. I can't find anything like my recipe online - although I'm sure I got it online in the first place - but the main spices are the usual suspects, five spice, cumin, fennel, garam masala, curry powder and garlic.

Without getting it specifics, should it in theory work as well for beef as it does for chicken, or does the cooking time, texture or whatever of beef mean I should be looking at a different set of spices?

If no good, anyone got a tried & true beef curry recipe they use - the hotter the better.

In a good Indian curry you pre-cook the beef in oil and water with Cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, bay leaves, tomato paste. Your sauce doesn't differ but you need to make a base sauce and garlic and ginger paste. If you want Indian restaurant standard curries. No difference in time because the meat is pre-cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there & welcome to the forum.
    We would appreciate it if you do not dig up old threads such as this. The OP's query is over a year old. One would hope that they managed to make their curry by now. ;)

Cheers,

tHB (forum mod)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement