Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds eye chillies

Options
  • 01-09-2014 1:16am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I sent himself to the shop to get a normal, pretty mild red chilli to put into a pasta dish. I'm very bad with heat, so that's the most I can handle in a dish (with the seeds and membrane removed!). He came back with a sizable bag of feckin' birds eye chillies! I can't imagine cooking with them, so short of throwing them in the bin, is there anything else I can do with them? I was thinking of drying them out and making chilli flakes or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/ask/processing-and-other-crafts/4246what-to-do-with-a-glut-of-chillis/p:1/

Suggestions for chilli oil, jelly, drying, sweet chilli sauce and pickled chillis!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Faith wrote: »
    I sent himself to the shop to get a normal, pretty mild red chilli to put into a pasta dish. I'm very bad with heat, so that's the most I can handle in a dish (with the seeds and membrane removed!). He came back with a sizable bag of feckin' birds eye chillies! I can't imagine cooking with them, so short of throwing them in the bin, is there anything else I can do with them? I was thinking of drying them out and making chilli flakes or something?

If you soak them in lemon juice when chopped, it will take out the 'bite' in them. Sugar will also help with the heat, it won't kill it altogether and it won't rescue it if it's burning the mouth off you but will help tone it down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I actually grow my own birds eye chillis, they are a hotter than normal shop bought chillis without a doubt.

Dishes i commonly use them in.

1. Chilli Burger- one or two diced very fine and used as part of the mix to make a fresh mince burger, i have my own recipe but i always reccomend adding decent amount of grated cheese into the mince mix it will compliment and mellow the chilli.

2. Red thai curry- Birds eye are a very common chilli over there and one or two will work really well with the coconut milk in the curry.

3. Use them as part of a marinade for chicken fillets, that way you will get all the flavour but not all of the heat. Usually i marindade over night with chilli and lime, then roll in some smoked paprika and cajun before grilling the breasts.

Faith wrote: »

how about making a chilli oil?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I used to be bad with heat but still enjoyed the tastiness you get from using
    stronger chillis so I used to just use a tiny slice or two in a chilli/stirfry and then freeze the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make a Sambal? Pickle them in vinegar?
    Both will last a while in your fridge or maybe not if you grow to like chilli.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sheikhnguyen

We use them all the time, you can freeze them and keep using them for months without them losing a huge amount of heat. Just put them into a ziplock bag first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But that is the issue - the OP doesn't tolerate heat well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

use them to make Rice & Peas, for that dish they go in whole, instead of chopped or sliced, so there is no heat imparted, just flavour.

And Rice & Peas is absolutely delicious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some great ideas here, thanks! I'm definitely going to make chilli oil.

Similar to what Baldy suggested there, if I cut one up into maybe two large pieces and added it while cooking, but took it out at the end, would it add flavour and a kick of heat, or would I still get a big whack of heat?

• Advertisement

Cutting it and putting it into a dish that is cooking is going to mean a whack of heat - the heat is in the seeds, membranes and flesh, so if you expose them to the dish during cooking you'll get the heat, maybe not as much as slicing or finely chopping it might do, but for someone like yourself with an aversion to anything very hot, I wouldn't do it, especially not with Birds Eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just be careful chopping, wear a glove if you can. Can be dangerous to accidentally rub your eye afterwards.

8-10 wrote: »
    Just be careful chopping, wear a glove if you can. Can be dangerous to accidentally rub your eye afterwards.

or go to the bathroom. shudder.

or go to the bathroom. shudder.

or get amorous

duploelabs wrote: »
    or get amorous

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Rather than chop it, what you can do if using in a recipe with a sauce/marinade is just put one or two slits in the chilli and add it for the marinade or cooking time then remove. I do this with the really hot chillis in the Aldi assorted pack and it works ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

8-10 wrote: »

Oh, trust me, I've learnt my lesson with chopping chillies :eek:. It seems to continue to sting my skin for up to a couple of days afterwards.

If you are working with Chillis and need to protect your hands as the "burn" will soak in to your skin and stay there, just rub your hands in a bit of olive oil. Not massive amounts so they're unusuable but a little it and it'll help with your skin absorbing it

Advertisement