Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Who will pay for this Interchange & by-pass? I understood there was no more money being given to new road projects due to the recession? Great news if it does happen however!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    I understood there was no more money being given to new road projects due to the recession?

This would be a widening of an old road rather than a new project!

The Lord will provide :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Just found this thread, any updates on this project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭NedNew2

I was at the public consultation and was told that
    detailed design and tender issue would take place
    in 2014 with planned construction to begin in

Dependent on funding of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭NedNew2

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭richiek83

NedNew2 wrote: »

The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7 Naas Upgrade - 140110.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

richiek83 wrote: »
    The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7 Naas Upgrade - 140110.pdf

I know from the project management team in Kerry for the new Kerry Centre in Naas, that part of their permission is based on junction 9a (Osberstown) being completed within a year of the site opening (due early Q1 2015). I'd imagine the widening scheme will be part of this work?

edit...
    ... just read the doc. No mention of Osberstown exit. Am I wrong so, will there be no Junction 9a?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I know from the project management team in Kerry for the new Kerry Centre in Naas, that part of their permission is based on junction 9a (Osberstown) being completed within a year of the site opening (due early Q1 2015). I'd imagine the widening scheme will be part of this work?

edit...
    ... just read the doc. No mention of Osberstown exit. Am I wrong so, will there be no Junction 9a?

BuzzFish. I think they are separate schemes that will be built at the same time as far as I know. I think they are the subject of the two different EIS. The interchange and Sallins ByPass is one scheme and the M7 Widening and Junction Improvements is the other. There definitely will be a junction 9a

BuzzFish. I think they are separate schemes that will be built at the same time as far as I know. I think they are the subject of the two different EIS. The interchange and Sallins ByPass is one scheme and the M7 Widening and Junction Improvements is the other. There definitely will be a junction 9a

Folks,

EIS of the M7 Widening is now online at the following link.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7NaastoNewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeScheme2013/EIS-EIA/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of the existing overbridges to be replaced, barring whats happening at Newhall. Quite a lot of a difference from the mysterious screeching we used to have on here about every single one of them being too narrow...

I believe the accommodation overbridge is being removed in the Osberstown Interchange work but that's only an aside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Regarding the Newhall Interchange, 3 of the on/off ramps will be longer at around 300m :), but the fourth one is only around 100m :eek:. Of course, I'm referring to the proposed M7 South to R445 ramp. Now, there's probably only a small change in grade between the two roads at that point, but if the motorway is to remain 120kph after the works, then I'd be expecting many a smash up at the exit. This IMO needs to be changed - using Google Streetview, I reckon there's enough space under the side span of the existing interchange flyover for an extended slip so that it takes a shape more like the proposed M7 North to R445 - yes, the ramp would be very long, but at least it would be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

I thought the maudlins interchange would be amended aswell,
    I thought it would be a minimal movement interchange with the new Osberstown interchange that will be built

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

M7 needs widening out to J14 IMO but as far as Newbridge should do the trick in the short term which is definitely needed. I think traffic will increase further out over time, increasing population etc can see it as far as the M8 interchange

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Is the real issue here not poor merging by drivers entering from Naas, coupled with

a) drivers not letting people merge

b) cars changing to the overtaking lane to allow people to merge rather then just letting a few car lengths in front of them for people to slot in

c) cars slowing down for no reason other then the road veers to the right causing a back up/irrational braking behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Drivers on the mainline don't have to let entering cars merge.
    Entering drivers have to yield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Of course, but if given the choice between

1) Cars on the motorway driving tail to tail, and cars backed up waiting to get on or

2) Cars on the motorway driving a few lengths apart and joining traffic merging smoothly in turn with motorway traffic, without the need for any braking and therefore, a continuous flow of traffic

I know which on I'd choose ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Is it not in the rules of the road that you have to allow traffic to merge?

Roryhy wrote: »
    Is it not in the rules of the road that you have to allow traffic to merge?

in the UK yes,
    in Rep of Ireland No.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

There was an article in Tuesdays Leinster Leader (28/01/2014) that this project wasn't due to start until the END of 2016!!!

Any word on this project, needs to be done. When Newlands Cross is finished this part of the motorway from J9 to J11 is gonna be worse than ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I hear that the M7 motorway bridge between Sallins and Naas is due to shut for 10 weeks commencing 7th July. It was on the KFM website, but I can't find the article now.

This is the bridge that is between Naas North and Naas South exits, and it doesn't have motorway access.

Are these works on the bridge related to the widening project...?

EDIT - Looks like a 2 week closure one way....10 weeks of works.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Found this;

Important news about works due to begin on the Naas-Sallins motorway bridge. Please read....

At the first Naas area meeting of the new council, the NRA (National Roads Association) informed us that important repair works were scheduled to be carried out on the motorway bridge between Sallins and Naas. These works had been agreed under the previous council and this was just a courtesy update to brief us of timings etc. Some structural components of the bridge had reached end of life and needed attention. The works will also include raising the parapet height and addressing trip hazards for walkers and joggers. On my request they agreed to include ducting for public lighting so that lights can be installed at a later stage.

The bad news is that the bridge will operate as a one-way route for two weeks during August. Myself and other Councillors signalled major alarm as to the traffic problems that this will cause, however the NRA have signalled that the works were already agreed and will be proceeding. The project commences on 7th July and the one-way system will be in place for 2 weeks during the 10 week works. Traffic going from Sallins to Naas will be unaffected while traffic coming from Naas to Sallins will be diverted. Pedestrian traffic will be unaffected at all times.

Traffic going from Sallins to Naas will be unaffected while traffic coming from Naas to Sallins will be diverted. Pedestrian traffic will be unaffected at all times.

Diverted where? Along the canal!!??
    As I understand there is also a major upgrade of the roundabout at the Naas end of the bridge due soon to allow an increase capacity. The roundabout is running >100% design capacity due to the extra traffic to the Kerry sites. (450 of the eventual 800 employees have already begin work in Naas).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ABP to decide on this by 28th August.

spacetweek wrote: »
    ABP to decide on this by 28th August.

Still no decision on this?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Still no decision on this?

Whenever a public body has to decide on something by a date, the earliest the decision will be made is *on* that date

Whenever a public body has to decide on something by a date, the earliest the decision will be made is *on* that date

Depressingly accurate summary...

ABP wrote:
    Case has been decided, details will not be available before 02-Sep-2014
    :confused:

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0045.htm

From kfm radio
    Woo hoo

Permission For €110M M7 Up-Grade Granted.
    2014-09-01 11:46:51
    An Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for the M7 road widening project, estimated to cost €110 million.

The approval will allow the Osberstown Interchange, the Sallins By Pass and the N7 road widening to proceed.

Kildare County Council is driving the project, for which funding has yet to be rubber-stamped by the Dept. of Transpor

abp links
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/directions/MA0/SMA0012.pdf

http://pleanala.ie/documents/directions/HA0/SHA0045.pdf

seems only to be paperwork mods to the permission applied for, and keeping a traffic count every 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great. How many years before anyone funds it, thats the next question :)

Shame they didn't add the missing links to the M7/9 junction while they were at it though.

who knows, hopefully it will get funding this October.

I think KE co co are funding the Osberstown Junction, and the nra funding the widening.
    I'd imagine KE have a fair amount of the funding from Development levy on the Kerry Food plant.

Kerry Food plant.

Kerry Ingredients and Flavors to be exact. Foods Is another part of the business, nothing to do with Naas really.

Back on topic, from the plans we have been told, having junction 9a (with the spur to the Sallins side of Clane) is part of the overall structure to be in place for the Kerry Center, as is the upgrade of the Sallins road roundabout to 2 lanes and signalled. They will follow in the "couple" of years after the center opens.

Could have been told wrong though too...

What are the odds of this getting the funding in the budget next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Deedsie wrote: »
    What are the odds of this getting the funding in the budget next week?

High enough I'd suspect. Improving exchequer figures, worsening traffic in Dublin and of course, Newlands Cross isn't far from opening. Not sure if the last point will have an affect. Might actually improve things on this stretch of road with traffic not being as lumpy as before. (outbound at least).

High enough I'd suspect. Improving exchequer figures, worsening traffic in Dublin and of course, Newlands Cross isn't far from opening. Not sure if the last point will have an affect. Might actually improve things on this stretch of road with traffic not being as lumpy as before. (outbound at least).

Hopefully that's the case. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. As there is very little residential areas near this site there should be no reason why works can't be fast tracked? 7 day weeks? Longer hours than at Newlands?

Who would Kildare County Council have applied for funding from? Department of Transport? NRA? Would they be able to fund some of the costs themselves? It's a bit underwhelming to have had planning approved and then to hear absolutely nothing about funding application etc?

AS suspected the newlands cross flyover has caused massive tail backs from the kilcullen m9 m7 turn off to rathcoole.

check out tomtom live traffic.

• Advertisement

i just checked again , its almost back to newlands cross from kilcullen.

madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes it's just desperate now! This project has to be prioritised now by the NRA!

There was a crash at rathcoole I think.

Yep crash reported at Rathcoole.

Jesus, is there no end to it, probably some muppet playing with the phone. These days I throw the phone on the back seat and use the bluetooth. I don't want the embarrassment of a crash , probably someone texting their mates to avoid the N7 !

Even before the crash though the Traffic was mental.

NRA website says the 3 lane upgrade from Naas to Newbridge is in "planning" so probably a few years before it's finished.

tomtom traffic live is great to check before you leave work. the M50 is a car park the whole way north !

Dublin seriously needs an underground and a decent rail network, that Luas is crap and too slow !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Yep crash reported at Rathcoole.

Jesus, is there no end to it, probably some muppet playing with the phone. These days I throw the phone on the back seat and use the bluetooth. I don't want the embarrassment of a crash , probably someone texting their mates to avoid the N7 !

Even before the crash though the Traffic was mental.

NRA website says the 3 lane upgrade from Naas to Newbridge is in "planning" so probably a few years before it's finished.

tomtom traffic live is great to check before you leave work. the M50 is a car park the whole way north !

Dublin seriously needs an underground and a decent rail network, that Luas is crap and too slow !

...and forget this cycling crap too. Rail is what's needed in Dublin! Now, what about DART Underground for a start?

Middle Man wrote: »
    ...and forget this cycling crap too. Rail is what's needed in Dublin! Now, what about DART Underground for a start?

They won't do it because it will cost many billions but we need to do it and pay it off over 50 years.

it would create a hell of a lot of jobs too.

• Advertisement

there was a 5 car crash at Rathcoole this afternoon , hence the traffic

before this crash the traffic was bad from junction 7 Kill all the way to Naas junction 9 ball.
    after the ball, the traffic was heavy but moving well.
    m9 was grand no problems on it to Kilcullen as they had two lanes open.

it took me 37 minutes in lane 1 from Newlands to the ball at Naas,
    if I was in lane 2 or 3 you could add another 10 minutes.

Before the crash it was backed up well past Kill, according to tomtom .

Automatic collision prevention should be standard on every new car sold in Europe that works at all speeds.

I can't understand it at all ? how could you be involved in a pile up ? not always possible but if the 2-3rd car up is breaking then it's only logical to conclude that the others are going to slow down ? it's not rocket science is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I presume this will be quite an easy job. Tarmac over the wide central median and introduce a concrete central median and job done with some tie in work at the end. Should be quite cheap all told ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I presume this will be quite an easy job. Tarmac over the wide central median and introduce a concrete central median and job done with some tie in work at the end. Should be quite cheap all told ?

I could be wrong but its alot more than just that. I believe the Newbridge/Naas junction is to be rebuilt and moved further down and a new junction is to be constructed at the new kerry foods plant on the Naas bypass linking the ring road to the sallins bypass ( Not sure if this part is a separate project) but its a pretty significant upgrade overall .

probably open 2020 but we still need a decent rail network, imagine Naas with no rail link ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement