Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinding linseeds

Options
  • 25-08-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum.

I'm trying to give up/substantially cut down on wheat, and came across a recipe for linseed wraps, made from ground linseed.

I popped into Holland & Barrett today and they happen to be doing a deal on a kilo of linseed, so I bought them.

The question is, what is the best way to ground them? Should I invest in a mortar and pestle and just give it some good old-fashioned elbow grease, or is there an easier way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cheap coffee grinder from the likes of Argos or TK Maxx.

Don't use it for coffee though, keep it for the linseed - it'll leave oily residue in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cheap coffee grinder from the likes of Argos or TK Maxx.

Don't use it for coffee though, keep it for the linseed - it'll leave oily residue in it!

Great idea! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can use the oil from the grinder to shine your saddle. ;)

Doctor advised me to put linseed on my porridge. Aldi have ground linseed but it's not cheap at €2.50 for about 250g. I used to buy the whole grain linseed from Tesco but someone warned me about the linseeds getting trapped in your intestinal folds. Not sure if anyone else has heard of that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You can use the oil from the grinder to shine your saddle. ;)

Doctor advised me to put linseed on my porridge. Aldi have ground linseed but it's not cheap at €2.50 for about 250g. I used to buy the whole grain linseed from Tesco but someone warned me about the linseeds getting trapped in your intestinal folds. Not sure if anyone else has heard of that one....

As far as I know unground/whole linseed just passes straight through you, so you miss out on all the nutritional benefits. Whether it helps with constipation issues when eaten whole, I'm not sure.

But I've definitely heard that you need to grind it to get the benefits from it.

I get 500g whole linseeds from a health food shop for about 2 quid, and grind them as needed. A LOT better value than the pre-ground stuff (which has a very short shelf-life anyway, the whole seeds last practically forever).

Whole seeds and a grinder definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I agree that a coffee or spice grinder is really the way to go but I would disagree on the idea that whole linseeds practically last forever. They actually go rancid quite quickly and smell awful. OP, if you don't expect to use all the seeds within a few months, if I were in your shoes I think I would divide them into containers with lids and freeze them. I haven't done it myself but if I go low-carbing again and start baking with ground linseeds, I'd rather take a chance on freezing them than getting a whiff of them when they've gone off! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dred

Don't buy grounded people it is pointless as grounded seeds lose their benefits in about 2 or 3 days (if you keep it in a fridge). BTW where can I buy non-GMO linseeds? The one in Tesco are packed in UK but it doesn't say what is the origin. Many articles say that lots of flax seeds that are on sale in Europe are GMO and I don't want that crap, so how to tell?

Advertisement