Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Lets hope so. Theres a nice dip where you join the N40 going eastbound from the BRR exit and only seems to be getting deeper. Its a fantastic road but all the flaws hopefully will be corrected. There's quite some ground work to be finished on the SRR but it will be nice to see it fully complete. Anyone seen which it seems to be a dedicated NRA motorway response unit transit vans which they put cones out etc when a car is broke down?

There's also an almighty, incredibly long crack in the tarmac of the slip from the south->westbound slip. Given the newness of the road, and the weird shape of it, I'd bet money it's not just a superficial thing, but a symptom of yet more subsidence deeper down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

alaimacerc wrote: »
    There's also an almighty, incredibly long crack in the tarmac of the slip from the south->westbound slip. Given the newness of the road, and the weird shape of it, I'd bet money it's not just a superficial thing, but a symptom of yet more subsidence deeper down.
    That section is built on a pure bog, all the apartments around there have had to be underpinned, not the first time the road has cracked and subsided, the old road had a terrible did off to the left, losened a load the was'nt tied properly on me one or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What's the story with the Dunkettle flyover? I googled it and only found stories from 3 years ago

What's the story with the Dunkettle flyover? I googled it and only found stories from 3 years ago
    Eh, no story that I'm aware of, it's the western end of the N40 that we are talking about.

TBF we have discussed the Dunkettle situation in this thread too, what with one thing leading to another. So far as I know it's just a gleam in Leo's eye at this point, until Brendan gives him some more pocket money.

But apparently, it did at least get planning approval last year. There's a semi-dormant thread on it over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Both flyovers have been open now more than a year and its plainly obvious to me at least that they have indeed caused additional traffic elsewhere.

I believed it would cause extra traffic at Dunkettle. This was incorrect. Traffic is now backing up from the Douglas flyover and back. The reason is that the extra flow of traffic is causing merging issues with traffic coming up off of the Kinsale Roundabout heading east. In addition, traffic on the mainline are trying to unmerge the other way to gain access to the Douglas West and Douglas exists.

The traffic is pretty bad at both rush hours. These backlogs are a new occurrence and are directly related to the opening of this scheme IMO.

There are 2 solutions in my mind.

1. Closing one of the Douglas exits (not practical)
    2. Widening the Douglas flyover to 3 lanes in each direction (more practical but will take cash that is simply not there at the moment)

There were always backlogs at those times. The only way to fix it is to install clover leaf juctions at Dunkettle.

roundymac wrote: »
    There were always backlogs at those times. The only way to fix it is to install clover leaf juctions at Dunkettle.

Not to this degree there wasn't. Traffic queuing on the douglas flyover is unrelated to Dunkettle. All to do with merging and traffic being forced to funnel down to 2 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

As a frequent traveller on the East bound N40 at rush hour I find that while travelling from Kinsale Road flyover East bound, the merging traffic from Kinsale road roundabout slows traffic down.
    Then mysteriously you are crawling over the Douglas bridges and once you have cleared them your speed is up again and you are on your way.

I think it is paranoid / useless drivers that are causing it, thinking that their little cars won't fit through the Douglas flyovers for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So how long does this actually delay people for.? I rarely travel this route at peak times ( I always go before peak hits every day). I do notice the slow down approaching the Douglas flyovers but it might add a minute to my journey (wild exaggeration there..more like ten seconds lost in reality).
    Excluding crashes which will always bugger up that area...is the delay worth spending hundreds of millions on when you think what else could be done with the money?

• Advertisement

Delays at the Douglas are down to people travelling in the Douglas East lane and then trying to filter out at the last minute. Be cheaper to place a garda there and make them take the Douglas exit than build another lane which will have to go back to two lanes anyway for the tunnel so all you would be doing is moving the problem further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's the merging and demerging between kinsale road junction and Douglas junctions.
    Make the third lane on kinsale road flyover eastbound a hard shoulder.(few use it anyway ) then the right lane traffic from kinsale road can merge directly onto south ring ,left lane traffic for Douglas west only ... ?? Maybe -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Ludo wrote: »
    So how long does this actually delay people for.? I rarely travel this route at peak times ( I always go before peak hits every day). I do notice the slow down approaching the Douglas flyovers but it might add a minute to my journey (wild exaggeration there..more like ten seconds lost in reality).
    Excluding crashes which will always bugger up that area...is the delay worth spending hundreds of millions on when you think what else could be done with the money?

At peak times, the traffic slows to about 5 mph and backs up from Douglas past the Kinsale Roundabout. Traffic disappears after douglas flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Will this project ever be finished? There is still a tidying up job to be done on the two roundabouts - sarsfields road and bandon road. Fairly minor stuff - could be completed in a week if the willpower was there. The cabling for the temporary traffic lights on Bandon road just under the flyover seems to be still above ground. I guess there's never been an official opening either - waiting for the next General Election campaign perhaps......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

They may well be waiting to see if there's any more subsidence.

It'd be a terrible thing to see a politician slip into a huge crack in the road - never to be seen again!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

blindsider wrote: »
    They may well be waiting to see if there's any more subsidence.

There already is subsidence, i walk the footpaths alongside this road with the dog most days.

For example its extremely noticeable on the southern sarsfield sliproad to get onto the section between sarsfield rd roundabout and bandon rd roundabout. If you follow the broken yellow line along the left hand side the road surface has a long crack, which has attempted to be repaired but has opened again with the gap widening the whole time.

They have made a complete balls of the pedestrian crossing at sarsfield rd roundabout i estimate only about 10% of people follow it across ,the rest walk across the grass and gravel.

For example its extremely noticeable on the southern sarsfield sliproad to get onto the section between sarsfield rd roundabout and bandon rd roundabout. If you follow the broken yellow line along the left hand side the road surface has a long crack, which has attempted to be repaired but has opened again with the gap widening the whole time.

Has it actually reopened at the repair? To me it looked more like there were just large areas they'd made no attempt to fill at all -- but equally, it might be both. (In theory I'm normally passing a tad faster on bike... though into the teeth of a westerly, that's pretty marginal the past while.)

Has it actually reopened at the repair? To me it looked more like there were just large areas they'd made no attempt to fill at all -- but equally, it might be both. (In theory I'm normally passing a tad faster on bike... though into the teeth of a westerly, that's pretty marginal the past while.)
    All lanes etc are open now in their final layout, the slip road im talking about is if you are coming down sarsfield rd from the south approach, you can take a slip road veering off to your left that brings you onto the section between sarsfield rd roundabout & bandon rd roundabout, they have a line of cones on top of the crack now for several months . Their original repair was simply a line of tar all along the crack which lasted about a week as the crack is continually worsening because of what looks like subsidence near the kerbing.

All lanes etc are open now in their final layout, the slip road im talking about is if you are coming down sarsfield rd from the south approach, you can take a slip road veering off to your left that brings you onto the section between sarsfield rd roundabout & bandon rd roundabout, they have a line of cones on top of the crack now for several months . Their original repair was simply a line of tar all along the crack which lasted about a week as the crack is continually worsening because of what looks like subsidence near the kerbing.

Yes, I know exactly where you are. Thought the tar was at least superficially "holding", though. Might go to Dunnes, buy a litre of milk, and have a close look with the front light of the bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Yes, I know exactly where you are. Thought the tar was at least superficially "holding", though. Might go to Dunnes, buy a litre of milk, and have a close look with the front light of the bike. :)

Take some pictures guys.
    So all the forum investigators can have a look as well ;)

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    Take some pictures guys.
    So all the forum investigators can have a look as well ;)

You know, I just might. But if you've seen my pics on this site before, you'll know that expectations need to be "very low indeed". :) (Might do a bit better if we get the promised "actual sunlight" tomorrow...)

OK, here we go:
    GEDC4227.JPG
    Few more through the link.

Not great in the dark, but points for rapid turnaround, at least? :)

I'm not at all sure it's there's actual re-cracking of the tarred areas, so much as they're just very slap-dash in the first place. I don't recall ever seeing them all looking patched, but memory possibly fails. It's also possible the give in the tar is enough to help hide the widening somewhat

How long is the crack? Is it parallel to the road axis or perpendicular?

Is there embankment in that place? Or is it just subsoil subsiding on a relatively flat section?

Is it just one crack or some longer section of the road is damaged?

Next time take some wider shot showing the crack in the context of the surrounding.
    Not that I'm complaining, thanks anyway ;)

Geogregor wrote: »
    How long is the crack? Is it parallel to the road axis or perpendicular?
    You know, I actually thought about measuring the length, but my bike computer's on the fritz right now. :) Roughly the distance between two lampposts, in about three major sections with some short breaks (non-broken breaks, as it were). It's (jaggedly) parallel to the kerb, all of it in the hard shoulder on the south slip.
    Is there embankment in that place? Or is it just subsoil subsiding on a relatively flat section?
    It's pretty flat. Further to the south there's a broad footpath (I assume it's intended to be "laned" to be part-cycleway), with playing fields and such further away on that side.
    Next time take some wider shot showing the crack in the context of the surrounding.
    Not that I'm complaining, thanks anyway ;)
    Like I said, need some daylight for that! However! Here's a couple of even dodgier photos of the same area back in September, though:
    IMG00902-20140905-2143.jpgIMG00903-20140905-2145.jpgIMG00904-20140905-2145.jpg

It looks quite bad.
    I suppose contractor will have to eventually fix it. They are probably waiting for an expertise about detailed subsoil conditions.

Yup thats the spot i was talking about, i walk that route almost daily so have seen the tar used as an attempted repair and the fact that its still slowly widening still.

A few months back they were surveying along the whole length around the cracked area and have marked survey heights along the length of the crack, i would imagine they will be back to survey it in the future to check is it still moving.

Here are those wider, better-lit shots you demanding people... well, demanded! Keep forgetting to measure the overall length, but this gives you a decent idea, I hope.
    GEDC4243.JPG
    GEDC4244.JPG
    GEDC4245.JPG
    GEDC4246.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I find the whole experiance very bumpy since day one compared to newlands x flyover.

I drove there once and had impression of quite uneven surface.
    Once you add the crack above it all seems like a really shoddy job.

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »
    I find the whole experiance very bumpy since day one compared to newlands x flyover.

There's a very marked dip in the hard shoulder in the area of the cracks, for sure -- I can feel the sensation of it, at even decidedly moderate cycling speeds.

Advertisement