Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Exchanges

Options
  • 21-04-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I couldn't find much recent discussion on this topic on Boards so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Has anyone completed/been accepted for the TCD International Exchange in 3rd year? How competitive is it? Are high first year results absolutely necessary?

Was it a good experience and would you recommend it?

I don't know any who has done the IE over Erasmus to ask so I thought I'd turn to Boards! (1st year student btw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I can only provide information from perspective of a BESS student.

Erasmus exchanges to Europe are usually not very competitive. If you get a 2.1 in 2nd year you will probably get the exchange that was first on your list of preferences. However, international exchanges to Asia, USA, Australia, Canada are in general more competitive. There is a slightly different process of applying for those too, and the deadlines are earlier than for the Erasmus ones. High first year results are not necessary for Erasmus, but we've been told they could be necessary for some of the more competitive international ones but I don't know how true that is.

Overall it's a great experience, but it comes with its own pitfalls too.

Pros:
    - You see what life is like in different universities/cultures.
    - You see more of the world. I'm on Erasmus in a Scandinavian country and I have travelled the region extensively with friends I made while here.
    - Academically, Erasmus can be quite easier than Trinity. It depends hugely on the place and the modules you choose though.
    - You make friends and have a good time in general.
    - Possibly a nice thing to put on your CV.

Cons:
    - Exchanges are accompanied by a lot of red tape. Thankfully, the ladies in the Exchange office in Trinity are helpful and hopefully the people in the exchange office at your destination are helpful too. But it can be annoying.
    - University admin/policy/way of teaching can be extremely frustrating and bizarre at first. Where I am there is a huge emphasis on team work and group presentations (good thing), but so much so that there are no actual lectures involved. You just read papers, prepare presentations and that's that (personally, not great).
    - Could be expensive, depending on where you go. You get some additional grants if you go, but think about finances.
    - Awkward when applying for jobs/interviews. Many companies have rigid structures where the internship starts in early June, whereas you could only be coming home in mid-June or even July (if you go to Germany). Some companies don't like to do Skype interviews either, which can be frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

first year results are very important, you need a minimum 2.2 for erasmus and a 2.1 for international exchange, otherwise its a no go, also you cannot have failed a subject
    American Unis are very competitive there are also quite high costs involved.
    Erasmus placements are easier to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ddentworth

Thank you both!

Is there any chance of getting an American Uni with a 2.1 or would preference be given to those with firsts? Not feeling so optimistic after my first exam today...

Also, do they give any preference based on subject? Say if a university was particularly strong in a subject area, would they be more likely to give a place to a student studying that subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

you don't necessarily need first, although they do tend to favour people with higher grades as offers are conditional on receiving a 2.1 grade in second year as well, the covering personal statement is also important.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

You don't need a first to go to America. I'm going to my first choice, California, next year with 67% from last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement