Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to install wordpress

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have a shared hosting package and i am trying to install wordpress throught their control panel .
    I have followed the correct path -- Select website --install web apps --select path \ and install
    I have done this before without issue on other websites,
    However i get this error message Your server is running PHP version 4.4.9 but WordPress 3.9.1 requires at least 5.2.4.
    Can someone advise please
    Thanks
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

i have no idea about that computer stuff but could it be because of the server your using maybe?.

maybe try installing it on a free host and do the exact same thing?... e.g: x10 hosting? and then clearly you may know weather your server is supporting php version ??? ? ? ?

The thing is i am already running 3 wordpress sites on the hosting so this shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

ohhh ok, well maybe ask on some irc or computer forum with loads of users? ??

add a php file with the following in it

<? php

phpinfo();

?>

this will give you all the info on server setup which you can look for the php version installed

also check the other sites and try installing that version as it must be an older version that can use php 4

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Steve. It sounds like the latest version of Wordpress is forcing the requirement for that version of PHP.

Or perhaps it's the web-based installer app (Fantastico or something similar) is forcing that requirement.

If you get an older version of Wordpress, you should be able to install it.

Just checked, it seems you will need to go back as far as Wordpress version 3.8 for it to be compatible with PHP 4.x

For security reasons it might not be advisable to try and install a WP version that old. You should contact your hosting company and ask for PHP to be updated to the latest stable version.

Wordpress have created a message here that you can copy and send to your hosting company:

wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Guess i wont be starting the new site build tonite so .. Working all day tommorow bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You shouldn't be using PHP 4.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Just update PHP.
    Should have been done already anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just update PHP.

How would that work on a shared hosting package?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Update your PHP package. Usually stick with one version of wordpress as well.

Advertisement